Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

trixie, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
AmiDVD..............
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I am having a few problems (and some successes) with AmiDVD v1.44.
I have managed to burn DVD+R disks with, the A1 Firmware updater 28.3.04 (by mistake), and the OS4 Install disc 10.10.04, from the iso files downloaded at the time.I have also burned a copy of my OS4 partition to a DVD+R disk, having first created the iso file using AmiDVD, and I have burned a copy of the OS4 Final CD which succesfully boots. That's my successes.

I tried to create a backup of my photos partition, burning on the fly, and AmiDVD stopped at 61%, the cpu docky just flatlines at 2%. I could move the mouse pointer around, it was displayed as a busy pointer, but it wouldn't interact with any gadgets, and I had to re-boot.
The disk I used was a 2x DVD-RW, and that partition is showing 4,443.3mb used, formatted in FFS52.2, with a block size of 2048. I don't know if that info is relevant but I am sure someone will ask. I know about the 2gb file size in FFS, and that's why I decided to burn on the fly.

I have been out and bought, one pack of 10 disks of each of the four types of DVD media, so I can get to the bottom of this.

Anyway to bring you up to-date, I thought I would go back to burning from iso files, and pick a partition that is less than 2GB. My Develop partition is 2,198mb in size formatted the same as my OS4 partition. I entered an iso file name, and selected Develop as my source partition.
AmiDVD then goes off to resolve any softlinks, and calculate the size of the iso file. At this point I got the following error:-
Quote:
Error: broken soft link 'libamiga.a' in dir 'lib'

When I did a find for this file on that partition, I got 24 files with that name, but three of them didn't have the execute flag set. I don't know anything about using softlinks, so I don't know if one of those three is the broken link.

Any help in finding, identifying and correcting the softlink would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Edited by Swoop on 2008/3/11 4:00:19
Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Re: AmiDVD and Softlinks
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:

When I did a find for this file on that partition, I got 24 files with that name, but three of them didn't have the execute flag set. I don't know anything about using softlinks, so I don't know if one of those three is the broken link.

I dont have libamiga.a Softlinks in my SDK...? And I have only 8 files with that name.

Quote:

Any help in finding, identifying and correcting the softlink would be greatfully received.

The Workbench underlines the names of Softlink-Icons.

You can simply select and delete the wrong Softlink and then use something like:

MAKELINK testlink testfile SOFT

To recreate the link.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ZeroG

I checked all the files, and only 17 were libamiga.a, the others were libamigas.a. 13 files are in devkits, and 4 files are in the sdk.
I couldn't find any softlinks, so I don't know what is going wrong.

I can't seem to save, print, or copy & paste the output from Find, so I can't post the output here. I suppose I will just have to keep looking.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

I have just tried creating the same iso with makeCD, and I get the following message:-
Quote:
Image creation failed
couldn't open Develop/SDK/POSIX/bin
When I looked at it, this was underlined and hence a softlink, so I wonder if AmiDVD's error messages are accurate?

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

Continuing further with makeCD, I get the following message
Quote:
Image creation failed
Develop/SDK/POSIX/bin
Could not open this directory

I also got the same message for -
Quote:
Develop:SDK/POSIX/usr/local/bin
Develop:SDK/newlib/lib/libamiga.a
Develop:SDK/newlib/lib/soft-float/librauto.a

These are all softlinks, and because of the previous message, I deleted Develop:SDK/newlib/lib/libamiga.a, and AmiDVD then was able to create the iso file. It looks like MakeCD cannot handle softlinks, and incorrectly identify's them as directories.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Re: AmiDVD..............
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I am having problems using AmiDVD with + dvd's. It refuses to recognise DVD+RW discs, and blows out when using DVD+R's on anything larger than a couple of hundred MB image.

I have succsfully created a DVDimage, which AmiDVD says is 2024mb, but when written on a DVD-RW workbench states is 1936.9MB. To check the image is correct I inatalled diskimage.device from OS4Depot, and checked the image against the original directories using DOpus4.

I have then managed tp burn a DVD-RW with the image, but DVD+R and DVD+RW are just coasters.

My DVD writer is an AOpen 16x DVD+-R/RW (Idont know how to type the + & - as one character). AmiDVD says it is an AOPEN DUW1608/ARR A070, and on the drive feature it says Firmware date unknown, then MMC-5, and serial number AB03 61520. All the read/write check boxes look correct to me, which are CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, and DVD+RW.

I see there is a comment about formatting DVD+RW's in the AmiDVD readme, I am presuming this is part of my problem. But what about DVD+R's, and what filesystem do I format the DVD+RW with?

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have just tried using CDRW to format a new blank DVD+RW disk, as per readme notes, and I get the error message Quote:
Disk in device CDRW is write-protected

So I can't even follow that advice.

Any advice I sem to be doing something stupid.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swoop

You should write a bugreport to Joerg.

Have you used the FormatCDRW-Tool to do the lowlevel-format? The normal format-command dont work when a cd/dvd+/-rw is formated the first time.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:
You should write a bugreport to Joerg.

Have you used the FormatCDRW-Tool to do the lowlevel-format? The normal format-command dont work when a cd/dvd+/-rw is formated the first time.

I've just used the normal format command on context menu.
I'll have to llok out the FormatCDRW command.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:
I have succsfully created a DVDimage, which AmiDVD says is 2024mb, but when written on a DVD-RW workbench states is 1936.9MB.
AmiDVD shows the complete image size, the workbench only the size of it's contents (at least if you for example calculate the size in Icons/Information..., the output of C:Info and the size displayed in the title of the workbench window should be much closer).

Quote:
I have then managed tp burn a DVD-RW with the image, but DVD+R and DVD+RW are just coasters.

My DVD writer is an AOpen 16x DVD+-R/RW (Idont know how to type the + & - as one character). AmiDVD says it is an AOPEN DUW1608/ARR A070
There are problems with other AOpen drives as well, in the german AmiDVD compatibility list on os4welt.de is an AOpen CD burner which doesn't work at all with AmiDVD.

Quote:
I see there is a comment about formatting DVD+RW's in the AmiDVD readme, I am presuming this is part of my problem.
No, if a DVD+RW wasn't formatted yet (only has to be done once for each DVD+RW, reformatting isn't required when you want to overwrite it) the "Burn DVD+RW" gadget is disabled in AmiDVD.

Quote:
But what about DVD+R's,
Was there any error output in the console when burning, or did it simply stop without displaying an error?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@joerg

Is there any possibility to add a disc copy function to AmiDVD (or an ISO creation feature at least)?

I have no luck in doing this with Frying Pan. MakeCD works, but I can't use that to copy DVDs of course.

Chris

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:
I have tried system/FormatCDRW to format a DVD+RW, and I get the following error message:-
Quote:
SCSI command 04 11 00 00 00 00 failed
sense: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0E 00 00 00 00 26 00 00 00 00 00
I cannot find any documentation on using FormatCDRW, so do you know what settings/tooltypes I require etc?
Is this only for DVD+RW discs or do I use it on DVD-RW discs as well?

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
AmiDVD shows the complete image size, the workbench only the size of it's contents (at least if you for example calculate the size in Icons/Information..., the output of C:Info and the size displayed in the title of the workbench window should be much closer).
Thanks for that, I thought there might be something wrong with the .iso file, although it mounted OK.

Quote:
There are problems with other AOpen drives as well, in the german AmiDVD compatibility list on os4welt.de is an AOpen CD burner which doesn't work at all with AmiDVD.
Is there anything I can print-off, or email you that might identify the problem?

Quote:
No, if a DVD+RW wasn't formatted yet (only has to be done once for each DVD+RW, reformatting isn't required when you want to overwrite it) the "Burn DVD+RW" gadget is disabled in AmiDVD.
I did not know that there was a FormatCDRW tool in the OS4 system drawer, so I have never used it, hence my query was, about how to format the DVD, rather than reformatting. Sorry for my bad explanation.

Quote:
Was there any error output in the console when burning, or did it simply stop without displaying an error?
On the burn image tab, none of the nine buttons are highlighted when I insert a +R, or +RW disc.
I get the loading disc message, and then ready, but none of the burn options are highlighted. If I put in a DVD-RW disc I get the Burn Option for that, and If I put in a DVD-R I get the correct burn option for that.
Tha annoying thing is that when I first started using AmiDVD, I burnt The A1 firmware update, the 10 Oct 2004 OS4Update, and a bootable copy of my latest OS4 partition, all to DVD+R discs, and now AmiDVD won't recognise DVD+R discs.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
Is there any possibility to add a disc copy function to AmiDVD (or an ISO creation feature at least)?

I have no luck in doing this with Frying Pan. MakeCD works, but I can't use that to copy DVDs of course.

Chris

Have you tried it?
I have just put in my previously burned DVD containing the 10th Oct 2004 OS4 update, and selected that as the source, and entered a destination and file name for the image, and AmiDVD created an iso file from it.

Also, I put the same DVD in my DVD-rom and selected it as the source, and copied to a blank disk in my DVD-Writer. I had to select 'on th fly' to get it to work, but I succesfully copied the DVD.

The OS4 install iso is only 74mb, so this is a waste of DVD's, and therfore is not necessarily comprehensive proof, but it shows the concept is possible using AmiDVD. A Brilliant program Joerg, now if I could only get +R/+RW discs working again. :)

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:

I have tried system/FormatCDRW to format a DVD+RW, and I get the following error message:-
Quote:

No idea what that means, but it is joergs program, maybe he can tell us?

Quote:

I cannot find any documentation on using FormatCDRW, so do you know what settings/tooltypes I require etc?

There are no settings/tooltypes, it displays a list of useable devices.

You have to mount the right device (DVD+RW, DVD-RW, CDRW or CDMRW) and you have to set the DEVICE and UNIT tooltypes of the mountlists.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg
Quote:

That is my CD burner, you can have it for free, I only need your adress (3rd offer to send it to you).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:
ZeroG wrote:
@Swoop

Quote:
Quote:

No idea what that means, but it is joergs program, maybe he can tell us?

That is from FormatCDRW not amiDVD.

Quote:
Quote:

There are no settings/tooltypes, it displays a list of useable devices.

You have to mount the right device (DVD+RW, DVD-RW, CDRW or CDMRW) and you have to set the DEVICE and UNIT tooltypes of the mountlists.
[/quote]
I hadn't got the DVD devices mounted. FormatCDRW now runs.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ZeroG
Quote:

That is from FormatCDRW not amiDVD.

Yes, but FormatCDRW is from joerg, too (and CDFileSystem, and some other OS4 parts).

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:
Have you tried it?
I have just put in my previously burned DVD containing the 10th Oct 2004 OS4 update, and selected that as the source, and entered a destination and file name for the image, and AmiDVD created an iso file from it.

No, that's not the same thing - that just creates a new filesystem that contains the same files. Try that with a (region free) video DVD and you'll find the result won't play back in a DVD player - you lose everything apart from the files.

Chris

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Chris

I have already asked for a copy-function in the last year.

You can use mkisofs with the -dvd-video option to create the needed UDF-Image.

mkisofs has problems with pathnames like cd0: (it will get cd0:/ in mkisofs) so you have to copy the data to a directory on your harddisk first. Apart from that you can "copy" DVD-Videos with AmiDVD.

BTW:
I have setup a private bounty for Double/Dual-Layer support for AmiDVD on os4welt.

Maybe you want to start something similar here?

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »