Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Vista, a Waste of Everything
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
All know how hyper critical I am of microsoft and their products....

Problem is, what they should be and what they are are at the opposite ends of the usability/satisfaction scales.

I rate their products at 10 to 15% on any performance scales.

Just ask yourself why do they need so much customer support staff?

Their products are utter crap, that's why.

Check out this vista humiliation!!!

THREE DAYS to fix up his computer, the first poster complains.

As I've said before (and there) they're a cornered market, .... bill gates would be living in a cardboard box otherwise, if fortune was based on his coding skillz.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Re: Vista, a Waste of Everything
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Vista is the biggest waste of resources I've ever seen. I just finished removing vista and replacing XP on my laptop. I havn't actually been angry at a computer in 20 years. Vista not only ran worse than any thing I can ever remember using, it eventually just made me flat out angry to even have it on my system. Horrible response, constant app and browser popups even after they were supposed to be turned off.... ugh... I could go on for a while but won't bother.

Here's a few quick specs from my latest experience. In each case I wiped the partition and started clean on the HD.

To turn on the computer and boot to desktop only....

Vista (default options) on a 2GHZ Core 2 Duo / 1gig ram
Over 3 minutes to complete bootup
820meg of memory used
A lag in almost every mouse click, and misc popups.

XP (default options) same system
Less than 30 second to complete bootup
240meg of memory used.
Instant response to every move with no nags

By the time I finshed getting XP set up again, I'd decided that every Vista dev should be doing jail time.

Plaz

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi Plaz,

Do they still have a registry?

/Atheist runs, .... and runs, and runs away!...... !!!!

"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

I know alot of people dislike the use of vista. I on the other hand actually enjoy it, call me a vista fan boy if you like but really Im not. Yes vista has it`s niggles hear and there but lets not just forget how long it took xp to get where it is now and its only just at what I call resonably stable. I use linux / macs / also, both can have teathing problems just look at fedora core for linux, allways needing updates becuase its bleeding edge. Going back to vista, yes it does have a registery - but no where near as unstable as xp is.

My system is:

Intel Core duo E670x2 64Bit
4Gig ddr
half terrabyte hd
Dual Boot OS: Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit / Fedora core 8 / Mandriva2008
Nvidia 8600 GTS 256 meg

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi magic,

I understand teething pains,....

But, but, but, let's not kid ourselves, they have an ARMY of programmers, banks and banks of computers, and mainframes, are FULLY networked... access to ANY and all the documentation money could possibly buy.... Full to the top loaded HW.... Access to all engineers of all the IC and motherboard manufacturers at all times.

Surveys to know what the public wants, and expects. They've done behavior research even.... and the list just goes on.....

WHAT did AmigaOS4 team have access to in comparison????

DIDDLY SQUAT! And yet, I respect and give accolades to AOS4.0 one thousand times over and above MSs achievements! They're far beyond what one could expect, from them having to deal with the circumstances they're under.... Imagine, some of them, they even had to have other jobs to be able to continue their progress on AOS4.0!!!!

Hyperion have sacrificed much as well. As did Eyetech's, Mr. Alan Redhouse.

I can't understand what more those who want to abandon and deride them want?!?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
On this page I've finally figured out how to stop a program from starting automatically when XP starts.

Apparently all I've got to do is check:
the startup folder (wherever that is)
win.ini
the registry (fun place?)
system.ini
Also, programs may specified in your Registry, in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Run. (how could I have overlooked THIS one?)

The computer keeps starting yahoo instant messenger for the last entire year, and I have no idea how to keep it from doing so on startup. At least now I know where to look.

What really got me was a game I bought for windows, and it wouldn't work at all simply because I chose to install it on D: drive!!!!!! (Any drive other than C: wouldn't work. I wasn't about to re-install a huge amount of SW off of C: to get it to fit in there.)

Turns out I have to send my original CD to them, and they'll send me a replacement that does work. The optimum solution, oh so convenient. It was a D&D game, I think the 2002 or so, Pool of Radiance (that IS it if there is one).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist

Out of curiosity, since you comment on Vistas bloatware nature - what do you think of Apples entry into the desktop os - and about the gnome / kde equipped linux variants?

Amiga CD32 - From the time games were fun
My Powerbook 12" is waiting for a OS4 port to Mac
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi moijk,

Well, I've only used OSX in a store, and it's slick and cool looking and seems to also be, not fun. It LOOKS like it's "all done" with you just being a simple onlooker.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like you can get in there and rearrange things. I want to organize my things as I want them. I'm not comfortable with, "they're there, not important WHERE that IS".

It is probably rather big too.

I don't like multiuser OSs. I'm not interested in memory protection. I want a simple, yet powerful OS, and the Amiga experience is a perfect balance between fun and capability.

Linux, never successfully installed one, also, isn't there a lack of commercial games for it?

From what I've gathered reading some threads about it, looks very complex. Never seems to have enough drivers too.

Those other OSs don't have what I want. I've found xp (all windows vers) to be quite problematic in so many ways, it boggles the mind!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Atheist

Mostly recycling already written on other forums stuff:

Quote:

Well, I've only used OSX in a store, and it's slick and cool looking and seems to also be, not fun. It LOOKS like it's "all done" with you just being a simple onlooker.

In my work most of the ppl range from mildly anti-m$ to almost fanatically anti-m$ and most of them have apples as their "PC" machined (some PPC, some Intel).
Mactels have Parallels installed to use winblows apps when needed.
All these mac-users are fanatically pro-OSX and they are not mac die-hards, they are newcomers (at most 1.5 years with OSX).
Some are ex-m$ fans, some are Unix fans (SGI/IRIX). All are in love with OSX now.
Only one person besides me isn't in love with it --- he has "low geekyness factor", he's happy with XEmacs and Fortran compiler and IRIX's fortran debugger, and he doesn't touch the computer after his work hours.

Conclusions:
1. OSX strongly appeals to Windows fans (simply by beating it functionality- and ease-of-use-wise, both OSes compete to be usable by totally non-technical ppl)
2. OSX is very familiar (by definition) ground to Unix ppl.

Quote:

I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like you can get in there and rearrange things. I want to organize my things as I want them. I'm not comfortable with, "they're there, not important WHERE that IS".

This bashing is not neccessary: there's some logic behind OSX way to store things, athough maybe more complex than AOS, but still very explicitly defined and understandable.
You can uninstall any application completely and having the whole app sitting inside a sparate dir is not uncommon.

Quote:

It is probably rather big too.

Ppl who buy OSX don't mind that, they want something better with most functionaluty out-of-the-box, and (at least not in US) that personal "image" (don't know the correct word here).

Quote:

I don't like multiuser OSs. I'm not interested in memory protection. I want a simple, yet powerful OS, and the Amiga experience is a perfect balance between fun and capability.

Multiuserness is not bad. Separation from simple- and super-user can improve viability of your current install.
Ppl make mistakes, and this can prevent some.
Even amigans can find themselves reinstalling the OS after doing some errors.

Memory protection is debatable.
But the bottom line, one program with a bug can bring the unportected system down, then the fact that other thousand of programs are perfect doesnt help.

Quote:

From what I've gathered reading some threads about it, looks very complex. Never seems to have enough drivers too.

Dirvers: you're wrong. Hardware that is <=1/2 years on the shelves has drivers (99.9%).

Complexity: there's a learning curve in Linux/Unix, but once you manage to finetune the system, the effort of administration will become negligible.

Be happy with your Amiga and stay as far from Windows as possible
Here I manage to stay away from windows almost completely (the only encounters are when I need to compile for windows Windows, then I have an XP under VMWare on linux, and I try to concentrate on the inside of VS Express window, that makes the experience bearable)
Unfortunately, I can't get away with a cross-compiler, I have to test them under Windows.
Needless to say, all done from my A1 (VNC and X11).
Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@moijk

Quote:

Out of curiosity, since you comment on Vistas bloatware nature - what do you think of Apples entry into the desktop os - and about the gnome / kde equipped linux variants?

Don't compare. Take bare WinXP2+sp2+seamonkey+Visual studio 2008 express pretty much slimmed down to win32 target, without MSDN files) and you get 3.6GB used
Total crap.
In linux one gets at least some useful apps.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Jack

You should not really compare linux to windows at all.

Linux is a completly different kettel of fish.Please dont start a linux vs windows campaign on this thread

Go to top

Register To Post