I’m grateful for what was done, I argued and defended AmigaOS4, gotten my share of bans on amigaworld.net, in retrospect I’m not sure was right about ArticaS, fixing it software was not correct way, the IRQ issues, a lot time was wasted because of buggy hardware, its of course, nice. They managed to get AmigaONE-XE to run stable, and got fpu emulation working on the A1222 but was this really good use of developers time? I think not.
(NutsAboutAmiga)
Basilisk II for AmigaOS4 AmigaInputAnywhere Excalibur and other tools and apps.
what is correct why to do it? get it from the interface?
Sorry, I don't remember, it's been about 20-25 years ago since I did any serious AmigaOS 4.x development... But one of the arguments the _start() function of PPC native executables, no matter if ELF REL (ancient AmigaOS 4.x versions, no idea if still supported) or ELF EXEC (current) called by dos.library, either gets a pointer to SysBase or to IExec in it's arguments (IIRC r4), and both are interchangeable and don't prevent SMP. Accessing the unmaped zero page, incl. **4, causes an exception, and either isn't usable at all for SMP, or causes huge additional work.
Porting over Linux TCP/IP stack, for IPv6 support, Tunneling support, DNS trees. And everything else missing.
There's this for IPv6 (I haven't tried it). It's for 68k but presumably porting it to OS4 will be easier than porting something from Linux (or more likely BSD):
@afxgroup: Thank you for explaining your motivation and give a little bit more inside into your thought process. I get your points.
The only thing I am still thinking of (and this is no offense):
I am not an attorney and the contract between Trevor and Hyperion about the kernel is very tight, but maybe there is a way to use an alternative kernel without breaking the contract. So asking them like: "Hey, I am experimenting with an alternative kernel and make good progress. Is there a legal way that you guys could use it with AOS4 instead of ExecSG?" Maybe the answer would have been: "No, sorry, not possible with the current contract." anyway, but now we don´t know.
But anyway: Good work, keep it going, who knows, what the future holds for us.
Working as developer for AEON / Hyperion means signing a NDA, .
I never spoke about A-EON but Hyperion. As I said: I was in the AOS4-community for 20 years, mainly as editor for two German Amiga magazines. So I know the "drams" in the background too well. The point is: There are tensions between HJyperiopn and Trevor/AmigaKit for years. This is one of the reasons because there is still no port for Mirari. I know that Hyperion is looking for a solution for this situation, especially regarding the kernel. An alternative kernel could maybe have been a solution, done the right way (in a legal sense).
So a little talk before releasing the kernel wouldnt´t have hurt and maybe would have brought a solution. That´s all I say.
My guess is that afxgroup would like to keep the kernel open source and Hyperion would not. I can understand the reasoning from both sides, and it makes sense from each of their prospectives.