Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
163 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 162

orgin, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Amiga OS4.1 SSD Harddrive utility
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Is there any OS4.1 Utility out there that will check the integrity of a HD partition? 3.x has the Disksalv, Hynie's utility for partitions under 4GB. I had to recently use it to fix a two blocks with the same number and wouldn't verify on my A4000T. I have had my X5040 crash a few times and now it is acting funny. For instance when watching a mpeg movie via Emotion, it will be playing slowdown and stop for no reason. If I kill Emotion and try to use the desk top, it freezes. It never did that before. I also get Grim Reapers with "DataStore" as reason sometimes recoverable or not or just freezes. I really want to check the integrity of the HD.

My SAM460LE acts weird too sometimes and I get Grim Reapers too and sometimes you run the same program and does not happen.

Also, when building an OS4.1 system what filesystem should be used? SFS/00, SFS/02 or does it matter? I have built my X5040 and SAM460LE in SFS/00.

Now soon to be building my A1222. I just paid for it as an "Early Adopter". If anybody can give me any advice on building the A1222 correctly, I would highly appreciate it as I only purchased the Motherboard.

Go to top
Re: Amiga OS4.1 SSD Harddrive utility
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@amiganuts
To check SFS\0 partitions you can use SFSCheck from http://os4depot.net/?function=showcon ... driver/filesystem/sfs.lha
PartitionWizard (Enhancer Software) can copy data from a corrupted SFS\0 partition to another one, but it can't repair broken partitions. It can repair FFS (DOS\0-DOS\7) partitions.
There are no tools for SFS\2.

Your X5000 should include NGFS which should be the best file system available for AmigaOS 4.1.

The only differences between SFS\0 and SFS\2 are the limits for the file size (SFS\0: 4 GB - 2 bytes) and partition size (SFS\0: 128 GB).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Good to know. I will try it and see. I did not know about NGFS. I purchased a new Crucial BX500 240GB. I currently have a PNY 500GB but it seems that Amedia was only offering a Crucial 240GB. Could it be a compatibility issue with my 500GB SSD?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@amiganuts

It says I need Gtlayout.library. I cannot find an OS4 version. I can only find a 68k version on Aminet. Will that work? That was diskSalv only.

I checked and defragged. I had no errors. I guess I need to look elsewhere now.

Edited by amiganuts on 2024/1/7 17:38:14
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Probably the best filesystem to use on your X5040 is the *unreleased beta version* of NGFS.

The version that was released with OS 4.1 final is pretty broken and not terribly reliable. Apparently, however, there is a beta version that has been developed that is much better. Like I said, it was never released, so you might need to privately ask a beta tester or one of them may PM you after reading this. (Don't ask me, I don't have it either).

It is not backwards compatible with the release NGFS, so if you're starting a new system from scratch, I recommend getting hold of it and using that. I don't know if NGFS works on anything other than X50x0.

I don't know which version A1222 let alone X5040 (I have X5020) ship with; as NGFS was developed by Hyperion I would guess its the original release version.

I use NGFS for my boot partition and SFS/02 for all others - although I believe you can still boot from SFS/02, provided is is enabled in your kicklayout.

I don't believe we should be using SFS/0 on OS4 systems, although joerg is far more knowledgeable than me on this.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@daveyw
Quote:
I don't believe we should be using SFS/0 on OS4 systems, although joerg is far more knowledgeable than me on this.
SFS\0: Max. file size 4 GB-2 bytes, max. partition size 128 GB. Data recovery tools like SFSSalv (os4depot and Aminet SFS distributions) and PartitionWizard (Enhancer Software) available.
SFS\2: Supports files larger than 4 GB and partitions larger than 128 GB (theoretically much larger, but apparently there are bugs with drives and/or partitions larger than 2 or 4 TB). No data recovery tools available.
No other differences, for example neither format supports the new AmigaOS 4.1 FileSystem API.

=> You shouldn't use SFS\2 but only SFS\0. Except for a single SFS\2 partition for files larger than 4 GB if you need that.

Go to top

Register To Post