Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
162 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

How is boot priority defined for AOS4.1 in general and on Peg2 in particular?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi everybody,

since I did not come across these kind of things for ages I need to ask. Wondering how this is defined - meaning if there are bootable media in CDROM and HDD where is defined that CDROM is getting the priority? And can this be configured?

Checked the Kickstart folder already but only came across the diskboot.config. But this does not seem to be the one in question.

Any idea where I need to look at?

Thank you in advance and

Kind Regards

Go to top
Re: How is boot priority defined for AOS4.1 in general and on Peg2 in particular?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Reth
CDs/DVDs have a fixed boot priority, IIRC 5 or 10, which can't be changed.
The boot priority of HD partition can be changed in MediaToolBox.

If you always want to boot from the HD even if a bootable CD/DVD is in a drive use for example boot priority 6 (or 11 if the CD/DVD boot priority is 10) for the OS (Workbench:/SYS:) HD partition.
If you want to boot from CD/DVD if a bootable CD/DVD is in a drive use something lower, like the detault HD partition boot priority 0.

Go to top
Re: How is boot priority defined for AOS4.1 in general and on Peg2 in particular?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Reth

I advise against changing boot priority because it can be tricky to get in kickstart menu. If you ever need to reinstall the OS, boot from CDROM or to recover the system, you get stuck, if you are unable to enter the boot menu.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Reth

Via the kickstart menu you can choose directly what should be booted first, without having to change the boot priority.

When booting AmigaOs4.1 click both mouse buttons until you get to the boot menu, from here you can select the boot option and choose what should be booted first cd or hd .

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thank you all. Did not think about trying the "2-Mouse-Button-Thing" in my case since I am currently toying around with QEmu and BBoot. - I need to check whether it works there too.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@RethQuote:
Reth wrote:Thank you all. Did not think about trying the "2-Mouse-Button-Thing" in my case since I am currently toying around with QEmu and BBoot. - I need to check whether it works there too.

I have already tested it and it works perfectly

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Reth
The BootMenu should work with QEmu as well, but for QEmu there is another simple way to stop booting from CD/DVD instead of from the HD (file) after you have installed AmigaOS on a HD partition:
Remove the CD/DVD image file from your QEmu command line.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joergQuote:
joerg wrote:@Reth
The BootMenu should work with QEmu as well, but for QEmu there is another simple way to stop booting from CD/DVD instead of from the HD (file) after you have installed AmigaOS on a HD partition:
Remove the CD/DVD image file from your QEmu command line.

He wants to use the extra installer of the Pegasos 2 AmigaOs4.1, via the SDL GUI output of Qemu no iso images can be included, it must be told Qemu directly in the command line. Unlike under MacOs with the display manager "Cocoa", where you can include iso,s directly via the menu.

@Reth

I have briefly explained it again on https://www.amiga-news.de/de/forum/thr ... =36516&start=61&BoardID=6, I am sorry that I came to it so late, it really works very well with the SDL edition of Qemu.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg
I know. Added the Installation CD image again to get the extras installer shown.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:

He wants to use the extra installer of the Pegasos 2 AmigaOs4.1, via the SDL GUI output of Qemu no iso images can be included, it must be told Qemu directly in the command line. Unlike under MacOs with the display manager "Cocoa", where you can include iso,s directly via the menu.

With -display sdl there's no menu but there's the QEMU monitor to control it (Ctrl-Alt-2 if you haven't redirected it from the command line. See "info block" and "help change" commands or the QEMU documentation. You may need to add a CD drive without a disk first with -device ide-cd,bus=ide.1 to have a drive connected where you can insert disks. If you also want to add a disk in the drive from the command line you can use -drive if=none,id=something,format=raw,file=path_to.iso then refer to this drive by its id in the -device ide-cd option. This is the longest and most detailed way to add it which defines the disk and the drive separately but there are two shortcuts to do the sam and omit the ide-cd or both options. One is -drive media=cdrom,format=raw,file=iso which will imply -device ide-cd so you don't need to specify that or to omit both you can use -cdrom path_to.iso which will take care of both but there's no way to specify format this way which may be a problem when writing to disks added that way (as the error about format detection says) but cdroms are not writable so -cdrom is safe.

If you want to pass through USB device attached to the host you have to make sure there's no driver is driving it on the host otherwise both guest and host drivers attempt to talk to it which will fail. So you need to unbind the driver from host or make sure it's not loaded when you plug the device (no idea how to do that on Windows or macOS) then you can use -device usb-host or the equivalent device_add command from QEMU Monitor to pass through an USB device. This may also need running QEMU as root unless you can access the raw USB device node as your user. There should be docs on this somewhere as this is a generic QEMU thing, not specific to PPC or Amiga.

There might be also other ways to emulate USB drives but I don't know much about that. See qemu-system-ppc -device help then check what usb-* devices are available and seach for docs or check their code in qemu/hw/usb.

Go to top

Register To Post