Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
157 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 155

samo79, jabirulo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 14 »
Re: qemu emualtion of AmigaONE XE
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hypex

That's exactly how it happened...

@Balaton

I've been busy with the AmigaOne emulation for a week now and tested a few things and set up a nice system including Enhancer Software 2.2 with SFS2. By the way, the boot partition boots directly from SFS01/02.

It runs really well as does the Pegasos 2 emulation. Since the sound output works with "es1370" but is very out of tune, I would like us to fix it. The SB128 should work on real hardware, or was there a problem there too?

What I can now confirm is that there are exactly the same network problems as under the Pegasos 2 emulation with newer rtl8139 which confirms that it must be a Qemu problem. Currently I am using the Pegasos 2 driver from the install CD under the AmigaOne emulation and even that does not work with the AmigaOne emulation, the network runs for some time but then crashes.

As I mentioned before, the best experience is with the Pegasos 2 emulation and AmigaOs4.1.

Also setting up with BBoot for the Pegasos 2 emulation simplifies the installation since no more modifying the CD is needed, it is more user friendly and that is what we should focus on.

Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/11 19:53:23
Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/11 19:53:57
Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/11 20:48:52
Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/11 20:50:04
Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/11 20:53:54
Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/12 7:54:23
MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:
What I can now confirm is that there are exactly the same network problems as under the Pegasos 2 emulation with newer rtl8039 which confirms that it must be a Qemu problem. Currently I am using the Pegasos 2 driver from the install CD under the AmigaOne emulation and even that does not work with the AmigaOne emulation, the network runs for some time but then crashes.
I guess you mean the rtl8139 driver?
If it doesn't work try using the rtl8029 driver instead, QEmu should support it, it's NE2000 compatible. On real hardware it's slower, but shouldn't make much difference on emulation.
Other ethernet drivers available for AmigaOS are for example 3COM 3c90xb, RTL8169 and VIA Rhine, but I don't know if QEmu supports any of them.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg
Quote:

If it doesn't work try using the rtl8029 driver instead, QEmu should support it, it's NE2000 compatible. On real hardware it's slower, but shouldn't make much difference on emulation.
Other ethernet drivers available for AmigaOS are for example 3COM 3c90xb, RTL8169 and VIA Rhine, but I don't know if QEmu supports any of them.

Ok I tried it now again with ne2k_pci which corresponds to rtl8029 under AmigaOs4.1, that network can be set up without problems with RoadShow. As with rtl8139 the internet connection breaks after short data traffic.

Also under Qemu rtl8029 is slow, the download rate is 500-600 kb/s to rtl8139 with 2-3 mb/s.

Strange is that rtl8029 or ne2k_pci does not work at all with Pegasos 2 emulation and AmigaOs4.1.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro
Does ES1370 work with pegasos2 for you? It is strange that some devices work on amigaone and others on pegasos2 where the drivers should be the same as well as the emulation in QEMU is also the same and the only difference is in the guest kernel. It is possible that both amigaone and pegasos2 has some emulation bugs which cause these but since I have no idea what causes the sound issue on amigaone and the network issue on both mahcines I can't fix these. For these to be fixed somebody who can find out in AmigaOS what is happening with these devices would have to debug it and find the cause then I could look at how to fix that in QEMU but if I don't know what causes it and I can't reproduce it either to check then can't do much about it. I also don't know how to debug these other than trying to enable traces for the device but those will be a lot of logs and without knowing how these devices and their drivers work those logs will not be meaningful. So unless somebody debugs these on AmigaOS or these can be reproduced with Linux they will stay until sombody finds out what is the issue.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@balaton

Using the ES1370 device on Pegasos2 and AmigaOne has the same distortion. I do not notice distortion using the ES1370 device on Sam460.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balaton

@derfsQuote:
derfs wrote:@balaton

Using the ES1370 device on Pegasos2 and AmigaOne has the same distortion. I do not notice distortion using the ES1370 device on Sam460.

I can also confirm that under Pegasos 2 emulation es1370 is now also distorted in the sound output, but it used to work before you fixed ac97. It seems that it broke with some version/patches of Qemu.

Under sam460 emulation es1370 works very well.

Since it was confirmed that the problems occur under both emulations, maybe we should take care of that first ?

With your help or help from Amiga developers I could try to debug the network problems, I don't know exactly how to do it and need help so we could get a stable network under Qemu AmigaOs4.1.

Since I mainly use the Pegasos 2 emulation the network driver rtl8139.device 53.4 works fine but breaks under the AmigaOne emulation. Under the Sam460 emulation I use the last published driver 53.6, also here the network breaks after short data traffic.

Since I was able to test 2 drivers rtl8029 and rtl8139 and both drivers/network cards have the same problems, it must be a problem within the emulation of Qemu.

Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/13 11:12:55
Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/13 11:21:07
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro, @derfs

If it works with sam460ex then it's probably not related and it is definitely does not apply to macOS with coreaudio backend but in case @derfs is running under Linux with alsa then make sure it's not known problem #6 at the bottom of this page: http://zero.eik.bme.hu/~balaton/qemu/amiga/aos_pegasos2.html

If this used to work without ac97 but broke after that's fixed maybe the via-ac97 AHI driver now interferes for some reason. Did you try to move that driver to Storage to disable it and see if that helps? On AmigaOne at least it did not work and seemed to cause problem at first.

For network having the same problem with different network cards makes it less likely to be a problem with emulating the cards and reproducing the problem with different machines shows it's also not likely a problem with machine emulation. What remains are AmigaOS side bug where the drivers get stuck on something unexpected they get from QEMU that does not happen on real hardware or maybe something in QEMU network backend but if the same problem occurs with both slirp and vmnet then that's also unlikely so your tests to me does not mean it must be a problem within QEMU but more likely a problem with AmigaOS drivers or kernel. Especially if the same problem cannot be reproduced with other guests such as MorphOS or Linux.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Also problems were reported with network on pegasos2 with MorphOS but there none of the network cards seem to work because the network stack does not correctly start. It was then found that this is related to sound somehow and moving PEGASOS audio mode file to storage to disable it allows the network to come up then using AddAudioMode to add the PEGASOS audio avoids the problem and then network works. This is different from the problem in AmigaOS where network works initially and only seems to get stuck after some traffic but I wonder this could be related to sound the same way. So maybe just try disabling sound for a while either by moving via-ac97.audio driver or the PEGASOS audio mode and see if network problems still occur with sound disabled just to make sure these aren't related problems.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balatonQuote:
balaton wrote:@Maijestro, @derfs
If this used to work without ac97 but broke after that's fixed maybe the via-ac97 AHI driver now interferes for some reason. Did you try to move that driver to Storage to disable it and see if that helps? On AmigaOne at least it did not work and seemed to cause problem at first.

Ok es1370 works under Pegasos 2 emulation as soon as ac97 is disabled under AmigaOs4.1. You are right, there seems to be a problem when both drivers or both "sound card" emulations are used at the same time. I tried the same under the AmigaOne emulation, but there the problem remains.

But why does it not work under AmigaOne emulation....hmmmm

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balaton
Quote:
balaton wrote:Also problems were reported with network on pegasos2 with MorphOS but there none of the network cards seem to work because the network stack does not correctly start. It was then found that this is related to sound somehow and moving PEGASOS audio mode file to storage to disable it allows the network to come up then using AddAudioMode to add the PEGASOS audio avoids the problem and then network works. This is different from the problem in AmigaOS where network works initially and only seems to get stuck after some traffic but I wonder this could be related to sound the same way. So maybe just try disabling sound for a while either by moving via-ac97.audio driver or the PEGASOS audio mode and see if network problems still occur with sound disabled just to make sure these aren't related problems.

Tested with sam460/AmigaOne Emotion and rtl8139 (53.6) network interruptions during longer data traffic. I took the -device es1370 from the Qemu line and tried the whole thing without sound output, the ac97 driver was disabled under AmigaOs4.1 on both emulations.

Edit: The only driver that works with Qemu is rtl8139 version (53.4) and that only under Pegasos 2 emulation and Sam460 emulation on AmigaOne emulation breaks the network after short data traffic.

Since I know the developer who wrote the rtl8139 driver for AmigaOs4.1 I could maybe ask what changes have taken place in newer drivers, maybe we could get more information what might be missing under Qemu that newer versions of the driver don't work anymore?

Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/13 18:43:00
Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/13 19:15:17
Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/13 19:18:08
Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/13 19:20:19
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro

What version of qemu should be compiled for AmigaONE

I compiled this from the master branch (latest)

QEMU emulator version 8.1.50 (v8.1.0-190-g813bac3d8d)
Copyright (c) 2003-2023 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers

simply with:
git clone https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu.git
cd qemu
git submodule init
git submodule update --recursive
./configure
sudo make install -j16

Then:
qemu-system-ppc -M amigaone -m 1024 -L /home/white/qemu/pc-bios -device VGA,romfile=/home/white/Scaricati/VGABIOS-lgpl-latest.bin -serial stdio -device sm501 -device rtl8139, netdev=mynet0 -netdev user,id=mynet0 -vga none -cdrom /home/white/Scaricati/AmigaOneInstallCD-53.54.iso

and it tells me this:
qemu-system-ppc: unsupported machine type
Use -machine help to list supported machines

I modified the "cd" with sm501 as for Pegasos

Thank you.

Edited by white on 2023/8/30 17:56:18
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Now I compiled from here:

git clone https://scm.osdn.net/gitroot/qmiga/qemu.git

but it's the same

suggestions ?

Could the file version be wrong ?
VGABIOS-lgpl-latest.bin

thanks

Edited by white on 2023/8/30 17:41:07
Edited by white on 2023/8/30 17:41:23
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@white

The source is http://scm.osdn.net/gitroot/qmiga/qemu.git

git clone http://scm.osdn.net/gitroot/qmiga/qemu.git

cd Qemu...

Branch AmigaOne ( git checkout amigaone) then you can build normally as always.

That should help my friend

You need VGABIOS-lgpl-latest.bin and also the last AmigaOne firmware update from Hyperion-Entertainment. How to create a .bin or .rom file from it is described above in the thread.

Edited by Maijestro on 2023/8/30 18:24:38
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro

Small question
the "fork" can also be installed by itself for "amigaONE" independently.
or does it need qemu 8.1.0 base ?

I did md5 check and everything is regular corresponds

a small video follows,
take a look if you want
so you can see if you find any errors,

Thank you.

qemu-system-ppc -M amigaone -bios /home/white/Scaricati/u-boot-amigaone.bin -device VGA,romfile= /home/white/Scaricati/VGABIOS-lgpl-latest.bin -m 1024 -serial stdio -vga none -device sm501 -device rtl8139,netdev=mynet0 -netdev user,id=mynet0 -cdrom /home/white/Scaricati/AmigaOneInstallCD-53.54.iso

I also tried the -L pc-bios/ option
the paths are correct but it always says:

qemu-system-ppc: unsupported machine type

https://youtu.be/WsrjHVkVqEo

Edited by white on 2023/8/31 15:00:18
Edited by white on 2023/8/31 15:08:05
Edited by white on 2023/8/31 15:12:05
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@white

The source is correct, but you are still on the wrong branch!

After you have run "git clone" and changed to the directory Qemu you have to enter "git checkout amigaone" only then you can compile.

cd qemu
git checkout amigaone

With "git status" you can check if you are on the right branch.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro

now I try

I'm here now:

git checkout amigaone
branch 'amigaone' set up to track 'origin/amigaone'.
Switched to a new branch 'amigaone'

┌──(white㉿kali)-[~/qemu]
└─$git status
On the amigaone branch
Your branch is up to date with respect to 'origin/amigaone'.

there is nothing to commit, the working tree is clean

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro

now with:

sudo qemu-system-ppc -M amigaone -bios /home/white/Downloads/u-boot-amigaone.bin -device VGA,romfile= /home/white/Downloads/VGABIOS-lgpl-latest.bin -m 1024 -serial stdio -vga none -device sm501 -device rtl8139,netdev=mynet0 -netdev user,id=mynet0 -cdrom /home/white/Downloads/AmigaOneInstallCD-53.54.iso

but probably missing some step that I didn't understand

(now i'm using original cd without sm501)

here what happens:

WARNING: Image format was not specified for '/home/white/Scaricati/VGABIOS-lgpl-latest.bin' and probing guessed raw.
Automatically detecting the format is dangerous for raw images, write operations on block 0 will be restricted.
Specify the 'raw' format explicitly to remove the restrictions.

U-Boot 1.1.1 (Mar 3 2005 - 16:42:53), Build: 03/03/05

CPU: MPC7457 v1.2 @ 1150MHz
Board: AmigaOne
Drams:
Information for SIMM bank 0:
Number of banks: 2
Number of row addresses: 13
Number of community addresses: 10
SIMM is not registered
Supported burst lengths: 8 4
Supported CAS latencies: CAS 3
RAS to CAS latency: 2
Precharge latency: 2
SDRAM highest CAS latency: 250
SDRAM 2nd highest CAS latency: 120
SDRAM data width: 8
Auto Refresh supported
Refresh time: 782 clocks
Bank 0 size: 256MB
Bank 1 size: 256MB

Information for SIMM bank 1:
SIMM is not registered
Auto Refresh supported

DIMM0_B0_SCR0 = 0x00e78f00
DIMM0_B1_SCR0 = 0x00e78f00
DIMM0_B2_SCR0 = 0x00e78f00
DIMM0_B3_SCR0 = 0x00e78f00
Using CAS 4 (slow)
Using CAS 4 (slow)
DRAM_GCR0 = 0x00000000
Refresh set to 1561 clocks, auto refresh on
DRAM_REFRESH0 = 0x00019619
Mode bank 0: 0x00008042
Mode bank 1: 0x00008042
Mode bank 2: 0x00008042
Mode bank 3: 0x00008042
1024MB
FLASH: 0kB
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

VGA: ERROR

In: serials
Out: serial
Err: serial
SCSI: Error SCSI Controller (1000,000F) not found
Net: No ethernet found.
AT Keyboard initialized!
USB: scanning bus for devices... 1 USB Devices found
No Catweasel controller (0xe1594, 0x0001) attached
Bus 0: OK Bus 1: OK
Device 0: Model: QEMU HARDDISK Firm: 2.5+ Ser#: QM00001
Type: Hard Disk
Supports 48-bit addressing
Capacity: 0.0MB = 0.0GB (75 x 512)
Device 1: not available
Device 2: Vendor: QEMU Prod.: QEMU DVD-ROM Rev: 2.5+
Type: Removable CD ROM
Capacity: 545.0MB = 0.5GB (279078 x 2048)
Device 3: not available
Press any key to interrupt autoboot: 0

but i can't access the boot menu

am I still doing something wrong ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@whiteQuote:
white wrote:@Maijestro

now with:

sudo qemu-system-ppc -M amigaone -bios /home/white/Downloads/u-boot-amigaone.bin -device VGA,romfile= /home/white/Downloads/VGABIOS-lgpl-latest.bin -m 1024 -serial stdio -vga none -device sm501 -device rtl8139,netdev=mynet0 -netdev user,id=mynet0 -cdrom /home/white/Downloads/AmigaOneInstallCD-53.54.iso

but probably missing some step that I didn't understand

(now i'm using original cd without sm501)

here what happens:

WARNING: Image format was not specified for '/home/white/Scaricati/VGABIOS-lgpl-latest.bin' and probing guessed raw.
Automatically detecting the format is dangerous for raw images, write operations on block 0 will be restricted.
Specify the 'raw' format explicitly to remove the restrictions.

U-Boot 1.1.1 (Mar 3 2005 - 16:42:53), Build: 03/03/05

CPU: MPC7457 v1.2 @ 1150MHz
Board: AmigaOne
Drams:
Information for SIMM bank 0:
SIMM is not registered
Auto Refresh supported

Information for SIMM bank 1:
SIMM is not registered
Auto Refresh supported

DIMM0_B0_SCR0 = 0x00e78f00
DIMM0_B1_SCR0 = 0x00e78f00
DIMM0_B2_SCR0 = 0x00e78f00
DIMM0_B3_SCR0 = 0x00e78f00
Using CAS 4 (slow)
Using CAS 4 (slow)
DRAM_GCR0 = 0x00000000
Refresh set to 1561 clocks, auto refresh on
DRAM_REFRESH0 = 0x00019619
Mode bank 0: 0x00008042
Mode bank 1: 0x00008042
Mode bank 2: 0x00008042
Mode bank 3: 0x00008042
1024MB
FLASH: 0kB
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

VGA: ERROR

In: serials
Out: serial
Err: serial
SCSI: Error SCSI Controller (1000,000F) not found
Net: No ethernet found.
AT Keyboard initialized!
USB: scanning bus for devices... 1 USB Devices found
No Catweasel controller (0xe1594, 0x0001) attached
Bus 0: OK Bus 1: OK
Device 0: Model: QEMU HARDDISK Firm: 2.5+ Ser#: QM00001
Type: Hard Disk
Supports 48-bit addressing
Capacity: 0.0MB = 0.0GB (75 x 512)
Device 1: not available
Device 2: Vendor: QEMU Prod.: QEMU DVD-ROM Rev: 2.5+
Type: Removable CD ROM
Capacity: 545.0MB = 0.5GB (279078 x 2048)
Device 3: not available
Press any key to interrupt autoboot: 0

but i can't access the boot menu

am I still doing something wrong ?

This is my qemu line:

/Users/qemu/build/qemu-system-ppc -M amigaone -L /Users/qemu/pc-bios -device VGA,romfile=/Users/qemu/pc-bios/VGABIOS-lgpl-latest.bin -device sm501 -accel tcg -drive if=none,id=cd -device ide-cd,drive=cd,bus=ide.1 -drive if=none,id=hd,file=/Users/qemu/AmigaOne.img,format=raw -device ide-hd,drive=hd,bus=ide.0 -m 2048 -device es1370 -rtc base=localtime -device rtl8139,netdev=network01 -netdev user,id=network01 -display sdl -serial stdio -d unimp,guest_errors -trace enable="via*"

If you did everything right then it should work normally.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro

Resolved
the command line was correct

now I access the bios

strangely it was enough to correct this:

with :

sudo qemu-system-ppc -M amigaone -bios /home/white/Downloads/u-boot-amigaone.bin -device VGA,romfile=/home/white/Downloads/VGABIOS-lgpl-latest.bin -m 1024 -serial stdio -vga none -device sm501 -device rtl8139,netdev=mynet0 -netdev user,id=mynet0 -cdrom /home/white/Downloads/AmigaOneInstallCD-53.54.iso

the "=" character had to be attached to :
-device VGA,romfile=/home/white/Downloads/VGABIOS-lgpl-latest.bin

oddly bash didn't mark it as the correct link to:
VGABIOS-lgpl-latest.bin
I thought the path was wrong.

Thanks for your help

I will not fail to ask you other things

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@whiteQuote:
white wrote:@Maijestro
Thanks for your help

I will not fail to ask you other things

No problem my friend. The AmigaOne emulation is really very good and fast like the Pegasos 2 emulation.

Unfortunately there are problems with sound and network, but we will surely get that under control in the future.

Have fun testing.....a video is welcome ,-)

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 14 »