Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Closed: AmigaOS 4.x hardware vs emulation survey
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@walkero
Quote:
For a lot of users not even OS4 sounds like that, because... "It doesn't run on their 68K computer" (facepalm)

True, although they would have accepted it if Commodore had made the NG machines (instead of going bankrupt). The Hombre chipset that Commodore was working on wasn't backward compatible either, although they had plans to include a single-chip AGA onboard for backward compatibility. Bottom line, Commodore was moving away from 68K & planar graphics before they went bankrupt, and I'm pretty sure most Amiga users would have joined them.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

But those same die hard 68k fans run their true Amigaos3.x on Fpga reimplementation of 68K ISA with alien extensions like AMMX and Saga. Or even 68k emulation on ARM cpu's. At a price/performance ratio which is even worse then NG hardware. It looks to me that the only thing that matters is the old machine.

Which makes me wonder if a PowerPC accelerator which could either run OS3.x on top of petunia or OS4.1 would be accepted.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@geennaam

AGA works by direct access, all you need to do is make small card plug it into the memory socket,
remap it to correct address space, and disable data cache for that address range.

similar can be done on PCI card, but IO address space is shared, and is only used by accessing the card, paged memory design.

Anyhow, from price point of view it does not make sense, a too expensive AmigaONE-X**** computer $$$, with special addons $$$. I also expect that even if you did that it won’t make your AmigaONE into a real Amiga, you need Putina and the OS up and running, you just disable multitasking and OS, and run your favorite games.

(but special version of EUAE can skip some of emulation, and depend on a FPGA instead, for sound and gfx)

Sam460 are computers make the most sense, nothing on the motherboard, everything pluggable upgrades, because these upgrades are std PC components. You don’t even need SATA, now that you can plug HD’s direct into PCIe slots.

Making PowerPC upgrades card that can be plugged into real Amiga computer can be idea, if you get price down to an arm level, if not it’s a wasted opportunity, should been done before all ARM upgrades, in one mode you emulate 68K only, and in other mode you take over run as native PPC.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@geennaam

Quote:
But those same die hard 68k fans run their true Amigaos3.x on Fpga reimplementation of 68K ISA with alien extensions like AMMX and Saga. Or even 68k emulation on ARM cpu's. At a price/performance ratio which is even worse then NG hardware. It looks to me that the only thing that matters is the old machine.

Yes, the classic Amiga chipset seems to be very important to them.

Quote:
Which makes me wonder if a PowerPC accelerator which could either run OS3.x on top of petunia or OS4.1 would be accepted.

No idea, really. For some it might be enough to be able to run their original software easily *which is why RunInUAE was bundled with OS4). Some seem to have outright rejected OS 4 & PowerPC. Can't please everyone...

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)