Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 120

VooDoo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)
Re: New Sam460cr boards will hit the road soon!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@m3x

Are you saying that booting the Sam460 is faster from an SD card than from an SSD?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nbache

Quote:
Are you saying that booting the Sam460 is faster from an SD card than from an SSD?

Yes, loading kickstart modules is faster ! Use at least a C10 or U1 or V10 Class SD card

Edit: using the last Uboot 2015.a with EHCI support

Max Tretene, ACube Systems Srl, Soft3
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@m3x

Sounds interesting. :-O
BTW can I "mix" in such card MorphOS and AOS4 kickstart?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@All
I just monitor how much take for example my x1000 to load kickstart modules from SSD disk : 7.5 seconds. Probabaly the same for sam460 then, but , will loading from CF-Card bring twice better result ? I mean, can it be then 2 seconds instead of 7-8 ? Because if it will be just on 1 second faster, that is not good deal, because once you will have kickstart modules on CF card, it mean you have some additional boredom.

But if it indeed can be ultra fast, like 2-3 seconds for all kickstart modules, then sure that make sense, i can use IDE 2 CF adapter for pegasos2 for example, and for x1000 as well :)

@Max
Is there any reasson why "bootmenu_delay" can't be 0 or 1 on sam460 ? I just found that with "2" it works ok, but if i have 0 or 1 , then loading of SLB just completely stopped and nothing happens. I mean is it bug in UBoot for sam460, or bug in SLB loader ?

Also, have another questio if you doesnt mind : can you explain plz how sam460's usb ports works, i mean, why it necessary to have keyboard in first port, and, why can be that KVM switches didn't works in sam460's firmware, but works when os4 loaded ?

Just trying to understand the problem about non working KVMs in the firmwares.

Maybe Sam460's Uboot have some option for USB , like on X86's bioses , where you can set USB mode to Legacy and co ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

regarding the boot delay, the following uboot env variables can be set:

boota_timeout 1
menuboot_delay 1

directly from the uboot console or from the menu, under Boot Sequence / OS Multiboot Options

as for usb/kvm keyboard support, I have a new preliminary version of uboot that fixes compatibility problems with some keyboard models, I don't know if it can help with your kvm problems.

Max Tretene, ACube Systems Srl, Soft3
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mx3
Thanks!
I can be your first betatester of new uboot if need it :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@m3x
Quote:

regarding the boot delay, the following uboot env variables can be set:

boota_timeout 1
menuboot_delay 1

Yeah, with the following changes, I've reduced boot time from 33 seconds to 31 seconds. Cool ! It feels almost like a warm reboot.

The only long wait that I see is the scanning bus for USB devices on startup; it takes 8 seconds (x5000 take even more: 12 seconds, but that probabaly because of a lot of usb ports on x5000 and UBoot need to do some more work?). If that time can be reduced to 2–3 seconds, the speed of a cold boot will be nearly equal to that of a warm boot.

Is there maybe any way one can configure uboot on the Sam460 to reduce this bus scanning time? Perhaps we could point out which devices are already in place to avoid bus scanning?

PS: As I mentioned in another thread, I made KVM work with the Sam460 in Uboot as well; it simply requires using an additional USB port on KVM instead of the "keyboard" one.

Edited by kas1e on 2022/11/29 5:32:49
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)