Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 92

joerg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

A3660 Installation
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi!,

My PSU arrived today from the shop and I want to upgrade my A4000 with A3660 accelerator (which arrived while PSU was out). I am thinking to reinstall the whole system b/c I also want to put a new HDD in, but before I start with that, I'd like to test the A3660. Can I just replace 040 with 060 libraries and it will work, or something else is needed as well? I am thinking to copy 060 libraries before I insert the new board, delete 040 libs, insert the board and then power on the machine. Anyone did this before or any thoughts?

This is the board I bought, 60MHz version:

Amigastore.eu A3660 Board

Thanks in advance!

Go to top
Re: A3660 Installation
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have just done the same thing with my A4000 using the same 3660 from Amigastore.eu. I opted for the full 68060 instead. I copied the 68060 libs over and it works. I think that I renamed the 68040 libs as '.old'.
I have heard that is better to install a package of libraries instead but I have miss placed the details.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Magic

Thank you, I appreciate the confirmation! I will do that and get back to this thread.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Finally done with putting all the hardware in my A4000 and setting up the system. It took me 2 days to do this and I am not done yet with the software part, mostly my graphics stuff and music. I also have to make sure that ZZ9000AX AHI is working right. Since I never owned a sound card for Amiga (not counting AOS4.1) this is something I am not familiar with and really don'€™t know how it should work. There is very little material out there to read about it and I could not make it work in Hippoplayer since the day one I got it. Anyhow, I Gb SSD and A3660.

The order I decided to go with is to replace Kickstart from 3.2 to 3.2.1, install the 3.2.1 update and see how it works. After that, to test if the A3660 is working correctly because shop I ordered didn'€™t deliver ADF and I don't have floppy so i got some fishy 060 libs of the net. Last item to install would be 32 Gb SSD drive and install fresh system.

Resized Image

I decided to go with the SSD because CF cards are not that great and I needed something more reliable which will prevent me to reinstall every year or two because of the badblocks. I was thinking of DOM, but testing SSD on Amiga will help with the decision to put SSD on my main Linux rig where I still have mechanical drives. I removed the 3.2 Kicks and stuffed 3.2.1, tested the system and it was working, flawlessly.

Now was the time to install the A3660 which made me really nervous just because of the lack of drivers. Placed 060 libs, removed 040 and turned off the machine. I pulled 040 processor card out and plugged in the A3660 and started the machine:

Resized Image

I fiddled around the system and decided to run couple of heavy 060 demos and see if Amiga will crash but all of them worked well without a glitch.

Now I did find an issue with the IBrowse, which was crashing, fishy libs from the net or from the 3.2.1, it did not matter. After talking to my friend from RetroRewind and getting useful tip from him, installed no fpu (030) version of IBrowse and all was good again. It looks like there is an issue with IBrowse and no fpu 060 cards.

Here is the final internal look of A4000, from bottom, ZZ9000 + ZZ9000AX, FastATA and backup DH2 drive as a CF card instead of CD backups (this is backed up on my NAS as well because I don't trust CF card at all):

Resized Image

Resized Image

So here are some unavoidable SysInfo images:

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Before I was able to install and run the SysInfo, I spent probably around 6 hours installing drivers, FastATA first and setting SSD as PIO3 (will test 4 and 5 eventually to see how well it works), then Roadshow, P96, AHI and finally ZZ9000 + AX. After that it was just endless unarchiving and installing, huge roadblock with AfA_OS which is soooo buggy on AOS3.2.1, but I needed TTF font support (Freetype2 does not work properly with mono spaced fonts). When I figured out the problem with AfA, it was much more pleasant experience. Last planned items for this weekend I installed was WHDLoad and the two games I am playing.

So here it is, my glorious Workbench in SXGA resolution, completely set up to my liking:

Resized Image

So far everything works great and that makes me realy happy. I am planning to learn something about 3D animation and modeling, hopefully will find some time for that. I own Real 3D with manuals and stuff, but might look into the Aladdin4D as it is available from A-EON. Other things I am considering is to continue dabbling in mod creation and also do my pixel art. I really wish I can retire tomorrow so I can have time to pursue all my true interests. Anyway, this is a long post, I hope it was not too boring.

Go to top

Register To Post