Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

walkero, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Recording from a sound card
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Is it possible to record the output of a sound card (SoundBlaster Live!) directly to a file? What software is needed?

If I would like to do that from an external source (an elctrical instrument), is it possible to simply connect the headphone output of the instrument to an input port of the sound card?

Go to top
Re: Recording from a sound card
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Gregor

Yes, AHIRecord

I used it to back up cassettes and records in the past a lot.
You only need a working replayer (record, cassette player) of the media plugged into your sound card, then set the input source in the program, monitor the input (from within the program), play something back and once the monitor shows playback you can record it (even automate it to an extent).

Great little tool

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Gregor

HDREC and Audio Evolution are also options.

I would connect the line out of the instrument to the line in of the sound card. (Blue input?)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
assuming OS4, there's also a "barebones" method requiring no additional software.
please read sys:documentation/AHI/ahiusr.guide.
System Description, AHI Handler

To record directly from a sound card input:

Copy AUDIO:SECONDS/10/TYPE/AIFC/B/16/F/44100/C/2 sample.aifc

All the options are described in that document.
Actually, I'm not sure if it'll record from the sound card input or the sound card output, but I'm not thinking terribly well today.

in any case, it's a rather direct method.

Have Fun,
Lyle

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel/Broadblues/LyleHaze

Thanks for all for advice! I think I will test first Lyle's tip... Not much to really record yet, though, as it takes still long time before I learn to get anything tolerable out of my instrument ;)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LyleHazeQuote:
To record directly from a sound card input:

Copy AUDIO:SECONDS/10/TYPE/AIFC/B/16/F/44100/C/2 sample.aifc

I tested this now, using simply a radio (with headphone connector) as a source. It worked but the sound quality of the sample was very poor... ("rough" ) Is there anything to do to improve the quality, or is this a limitation of the method itself?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
There are many possibilities, I can only guess which one(s) might apply.

The example uses "aifc". I usually use other formats, though 16 bit and 44100 should be fine. (note, newer USB based audio seems to default to 48000 instead of 44100)

The input you used was either microphone or line input, either of these can be overloaded by a headphone connection. I suggest trying lower volume levels on the source device. A "best possible" solution would be to use line level outputs to the blue connector. It would be SO MUCH EASIER if we had proper "VU Meters" for AHI inputs and outputs. (note, we DO have proper VU meters for X1000 and A1222 builtin audio. I've used them extensively for about a year now. They just haven't been distributed yet)

The method itself is solid. The noise is either a level problem (most likely) or a poor connection, or possibly a noisy source. The "device level" software is doing a simple copy, it's not adding or subtracting any noise.

Using "better software" might give better control or at least better visualization of the levels, but having to work through AHI makes everything a bit generic.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LyleHaze
Quote:
There are many possibilities, I can only guess which one(s) might apply.

How about the cable...? I used a simple 3.5/3.5mm (m/m) one without any 'disturbance removers'. Should it have those?

Quote:
The input you used was either microphone or line input, either of these can be overloaded by a headphone connection. I suggest trying lower volume levels on the source device. A "best possible" solution would be to use line level outputs to the blue connector. It would be SO MUCH EASIER if we had proper "VU Meters" for AHI inputs and outputs. (note, we DO have proper VU meters for X1000 and A1222 builtin audio. I've used them extensively for about a year now. They just haven't been distributed yet)

I tested only the line input, not the microphone one. What is the difference between these two...?

Quote:
The method itself is solid. The noise is either a level problem (most likely) or a poor connection, or possibly a noisy source. The "device level" software is doing a simple copy, it's not adding or subtracting any noise.

Ok, that's good to know.

The instrument I have uses a preamplifier ("Control box") which has three different outputs: headphone, unbalanced and balanced output jack (https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/o ... 9/SV250_WT66620_R1_en.pdf). But I do not have suitable cables to test any of them - even the one I used with radio is far too short for this purpose. As I am not at all familiar with electrical instruments, I have not yet figured out what type of cables should be used, and which of these options would work best.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Gregor

Quote:
I tested only the line input, not the microphone one. What is the difference between these two...?

Signal level. Line signal is "hotter", so connecting a line-level source to a microphone input will cause distortion because the line signal is well beyond what the microphone input accepts.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top

Register To Post