Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

LiveForIt, sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)
Re: Amigans.net 2022 updates
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Thank you all for your messages. I will have a look at that later today and let you know.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@msteed

Quote:
I think the lack of wordwrap is intentional, as it would mess up the source code formatting and make it both hard to read, and hard to copy and paste.
Yes, of course, I agree. Didn't think properly.

Although ... Firefox on Windows does wordwrap it (and has no horizontal scrollbar), and if you copy a full section of text (which was originally one long line) and paste it into NotePad++, it is still only one line, so the formatting seems to be preserved. But yes, it is hard to read without copying it first.

Quote:
The vertical height of a source code box is limited to a reasonable value, and if the code is longer than that, it gets a vertical scroller. It should work the same way for the width of the box, which would both avoid the very wide pages, and preserve the source formatting. You'd still have to scroll back and forth to read long source lines, but at least the accompanying message text would be easily readable.
Also agree here, that would be the optimal solution. Whether it can be implemented on the site, or Odyssey needs changing, I don't know - we'll see what George can come up with.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
I did a change at the code blocks. The reason why we have that problem is that Odyssey doesn't calculate in a right way the width of the available area where it needs to render the code block.

The only solution I came up with right now is to have a maximum width of 800px which will work fine on smaller screen resolutions as well. This way we don't have those huge in width pages and the code doesn't lose it's structure because of the word wrapping.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@walkero

Good solution! It works fine in my Odyssey. Of course 800 px is not much when you have a screen with 2560 - but I can easily live with that as the price for avoiding those extremely wide pages.

I also checked that copying a long (wrapped) line and pasting it into NotePad results in one long line again, so no damage to the formatting.

Nice work - thank you!

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@walkero

Thanks for looking into this. The problem thread is much easier to read now with Odyssey.

It will probably vary with the fonts in use and how the browser is configured, but for me the code box is wide enough to fit more than 100 characters before wrapping. So it's unlikely to wrap when displaying actual source code. It's just stuff like makefiles with extremely long lines that will wrap, and they're easier to read when wrapped than source code.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
--- ignore.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@msteed

Then again, can't makefiles be wrapped with "\" to make them more readable?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:
Then again, can't makefiles be wrapped with "\" to make them more readable?

Yes they can, and I always do so with my own makefiles. But when you're porting something you probably want to change as little as possible, so you're stuck with however the original makefile was written.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)