Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Changing GUI settings in Prefs causes AmiDock/Dockys to freeze (partially SOLVED)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Everytime I try and tweak things in the GUI settings and click USE, intuition redraws everything and things come back - this is fine. But, I notice 100% CPU utilization and when I try and tweak something else and then click on use then the system freezes and I need to perform a system reboot.

I have now trashed my GUI settings by clicking on "default" and they look aweful. I thought it would take me back to the default look of AmigaOS4 on a fresh installation, but this is not the case. And, since I cannot tweak things without performing a full system reboot every time it will take me hours to get back to where I should be. On top of which, I have not got a clue what the options generally refer to.

I hope that the GUI program simply has a save file in the ENV of prefs that I can just replace with the file I have on my backup HDD.

Can someone please help.

Edited by rjd324 on 2022/4/4 11:51:09
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Re: Changing GUI settings in Prefs causes 100% CPU utilization and freezes system
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Phew: I was able to just copy over the backup "gui.prefs" to the env-archive sys. All back to normal. I guess I could have just reapplied the theme as well. Presumably, changing themes overwrites things like the gui.prefs.

In any case, I am wondering if anyone can reproduce the issue with GUI: try tweaking something like the window active border/gradient, click use and try doing it again.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Re: Changing GUI settings in Prefs causes 100% CPU utilization and freezes system
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@rjd324

I just tried here (X1000), and it doesn't happen for me.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Okay, seems that the issue is actually AmiDock. If I disable AmiDock then GUI performs fine.

All I can say is that for AmiDock I have 3 docks. One of them is called my "minidock". It contains 3 dockys (cpu,ram,gfx dockys) and SysMon. For whatever reason, when you click on SAVE/USE after tweaking something in the GUI window AmiDock just freezes. I cannot click on anything on any of my 3 docks. If remove the "minidock" only then there is no crash after intuition redraws. Even if I leave "minidock" in place but just remove all of the dockys then again, it works.

Perhaps I have misconfigured my "minidock". Not sure if after clicking use/save on the GUI prefs then AmiDock is starting up again and trying to run another instance of the dockys and causing this issue?

There is actually not 100% utilization, it just looks like that. Really, AmiDock is just frozen.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324

I had the same behaviour while betatesting the redux version of those tools Dockies.

Which (ram, cpu, gfx) docky versions are you using?

I know that the tools dockies, which are available right now over AmiStore, are causing this behaviour, while the redux ones (not yet available iirc) have it fixed.
For me it was not changing gui prefs, but changing the prefs of AmiDock (i.e. inside Amidock prefs, remove any entry/program and then click cancel)...AmiDock will close itself, reopen/redraw and then freeze completely.
You can reassure that the tools Dockies are the culprit by doing the above while *not* having the tools Dockies in AmiDock.

There is no workaround other than waiting for the redux versions I'm afraid.

Btw, we never found the cause for the freeze, seems to have been something solely happening on x1000.

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Re: Changing GUI settings in Prefs causes AmiDock/Dockys to freeze (partially SOLVED)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
It seems to happen on @walkero s video: https://youtu.be/pIXrOqapDnQ.

Go to approx 32 minutes in.

George Orwell.
Go to top

Register To Post