Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Finally some version of (M)Emacs for the Amiga
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have been working on porting over JASSPA Micro Emacs to the Amiga using AmiCygnix.

Here is a picture of the first time I ran the executable:
Resized Image
Click

@walkero
There are some glitches to iron out of course and I need to remind myself how to run AmiCygnix programs without needing to launch the entire UI; like what George does for Pidgin (so I will need to revisit one of his videos. George, if you can give me the link, that would be great).

So, my goal is to iron out some of the issues here then consider a full port to intuition and/or, a port of a different emacs version to the Amiga.

Even this very first compiled executable is better (for me, at least) than the MEmacs that comes with AmigaOS4.1 which is based on 2.1

Go to top
Re: Finally some version of (M)Emacs for the Amiga
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@rjd324
That's awesome work man.

Here is the link of my video were I presented AmiCygnix.
https://youtu.be/rWuEtraUAFY?t=1881

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@walkero

Thank you for that. I found the exact part I needed regarding stand-alone mode.

Even with the first compiled version, I now have a stand-alone version of JASSPA-Emacs running which makes me feel so much more at home. I am finally free to develop things in the way that feels more normal.

I will iron out some issues, give credit where it is due and possibly upload this to the OS4Depot/Aminet in a short while.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@rjd324

Congrats for your first version of micro emacs

If you need some help to run your app in standalone mode, feel free to ask me.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have ironed out the remaining issues and now this is usable. I could upload this in my own way, but it would not follow the standard Amicygnix software packages on OS4Depot. What I mean by that is, they all have a proper installer etc.

Is there anything stopping me uploading this in my own way, or would you strongly suggest it being like all the other Amicygnix packages?

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@rjd324
It depends if your "own way" is user friendly. But I guess memacs targets developers, so I expect them to be familiar with harder installation processes.

Follow me on
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Thanks.

Is there a tool to automatically create an Installer script? I have never created such a thing.

If not, I can just have a look at another Amicygnix program and modify it.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
But did you search on aminet?
I can see recent native version of emacs

http://aminet.net/search?query=emacs&sort=date&ord=DESC

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
None of them work on my AmigaOne here. I could very well be doing something wrong though.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
but there is the source code. you can start from there. Maybe you can fix them

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
For sure. A port of native emacs is the next thing to do.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
http://os4depot.net/?function=showfil ... ty/text/jasspa-memacs.lha.

For anyone who actually likes emacs. Let me know if doesn't work.

It is not the cleanest amicygnix package and I will work on a proper installer.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@rjd324
I tested that on my system and works pretty well.

Well done man.

Follow me on
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@rjd324

Well done! Works without problems

To be compatible with other AmiCygnix packages and to have a proper version control, I recommend to use the files provided with all other packages.
Here are some ready to use files you can include in your package: memacs-files.lha.

All files expect this:
- Software directory must be : "Cygnix:Software/JASSPA-MEmacs-20091011"
- icon file "me_gnome_48.png" must be in "Cygnix:CygnixPPC/share/pixmaps"

The archive includes following files:

- "Install"
This is a standard installer script for AmiCygnix applications. Only a few changes were necessary. Just have a look at the first lines.
The script expects, that most data is stored in their final destination drawers like "Software/JASSPA-MEmacs-20091011".

- "jasspa-memacs.desktop"
Should be in "CygnixPPC/share/applications". Creates an entry in the desktop panel menu.

- "jasspa-memacs.lnk"
Should finally be in "Cygnix:Home/root/.idesktop" and in "install-data/.idesktop" in your package. Creates an icon on the desktop.

- "jasspa-memacs.pc"
Should be in "CygnixPPC/lib/pkgconfig". Contains data about the installed program for version control. Increase "release" in every new release of a same version (also the #app_release variable in "Install")

- "Start_JASSPA-MEmacs_Desktop.bat" + "Start_JASSPA-MEmacs_Standalone.bat"
Two new launch scripts for standalone and desktop

X-5000 PPC 5020/2 GHZ, Fractal Define XL R2-Tower, OS 4.1 final update 2, 4 GB, Radeon HD 7770, ESI Juli@ XTe
SAM 460ex/1,15 GHZ, OS 4.1 final, 2 GB, Radeon HD 6450
Amiga 4000D/040 25 Mhz, OS 3.9 BB2, 272 MB, X-Surf, 250 MB ZIP
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@cygnusEd

thanks for the tips. I will work on that. Funny though, sometimes when I am doing other things on the machine here (X1000) and I try to invoke run it from the AmiDock (I copied the BAT file to the AmiDock), I do get DSI errors. Even restarting the AmigaOS is not enough - that continues to show the same issue. I have to restart the computer in full as if the memory needs to be flushed.

I am not sure if anyone will really use this package in anger, since I am not sure who prefers to use emacs. But, if anyone else can reproduce it then let me know. I noticed this a few days ago too, and it was not like I had previously opened it successfully in the few hours session I was working. It was a brand new invocation for the session.

Something I can look into I guess, but without a debugger it is still very difficult.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Interesting, I can already reproduce this issue.

- Power on the X1000 (either from cold, or perform a full reboot of the system)
- Double click on one of the icons I have on my desktop that opens up an SSHTerm to a server on my local network. This is an INFO file (marked as "LEAVE OUT" on the Desktop to a SCRIPT file located in the same directory as SSHTerm whose contents is:
run >NILprograms:sshterm/sshterm 4.4.4.4 theUserName

- Try to invoke the JASSPA Emacs bat file on my AmiDock, OR, even open up AmiCyngix in full, navigate directly to the "mew" binary and the same thing happens: a DSI error.

I can try other AmiCygnix programs, such as Leafpad and there is no problem.

Conclusion:
For whatever reason, an invocation of SSHTerm and then trying to open JASSPA causes this DSI error and I need a FULL system reboot.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@rjd324

Hmm - the question is: When do you get the DSI? After you confirmed the AmiCygnix settings? Or later, when the display is already open?

Maybe you can try an other display driver.

Or you need a more more current AmiCygnix SDK. I could give you the latest includes and libs of libaos4util.
Which additionally libs did you use? Only libX11.a?

On the other hand, I had no crashes so far.

X-5000 PPC 5020/2 GHZ, Fractal Define XL R2-Tower, OS 4.1 final update 2, 4 GB, Radeon HD 7770, ESI Juli@ XTe
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@rjd324

Quote:
Interesting, I can already reproduce this issue.

Yes, I can confirm this. I guess, you need newer files. Please give me some time to make a package for you.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@rjd324

You got a mail!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@cygnusEd

Thank you for the mail. Using the SDK Lite + the thing you provided has enabled me to recompile, relink and now the binary works even after SSHTerm was invoked.

FYI, I was somehow blind before. I did not know there was an SDK, despite it being infront of me, so - before - I downloaded all the sources and essentially compiled all the SDK and newlib libraries. Now I am using the SDK lite + your email attachment.

I will now create a proper installer and update the OS4Depot package in time.

George Orwell.
Go to top

Register To Post