Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

root, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)
Re: GDB
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@alfkil
I will throw the reports on you in another thread then

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@alfkil

I tried Spotless when it first came out, but was unable to make it do anything useful, not even as much as DB101. I was left with the impression that it was mainly a demo of how to make a debugger, and that it wouldn't be developed further. Given that, it seemed pointless to try to do anything more with it, such as submitting bug reports. Has the situation changed?

I think there is a place in AmigaLand for both GDB and a working version of Spotless. Kas1e is right that GDB has far more people working on it, adding new features and honing the existing ones based on lots of real-world use. And for some applications remote debugging is useful or even essential.

Spotless, on the other hand, has a nice easy-to-use GUI and feels like an Amiga program, and could be a better choice for beginners and those with less demanding needs (and who aren't already familiar with GDB and how to use it). Spotless could be the debugger of first choice; if it can handle your debugging task, great! If you need more power then move on to GDB.

But Spotless needs more work before that's viable.

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Quote:
I was left with the impression that it was mainly a demo of how to make a debugger, and that it wouldn't be developed further.

I had that impression as well, and on my X5000 all the tests I did were not working, unfortunately.

If you have the intention to continue working on spotless, I will be glad to help with tests and feedback.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@walkero

Unfortunately the Final Edition Update 2 public release, which coincided with the release of Spotless, introduced the broken compatibility with the exec debugging module, which let many people to believe, that Spotless is broken. This was purely a case of some unlucky changes to the os, that were later reverted, and those running later (or even latest) beta versions of the kernel should see, that Spotless performs quite well. What this means is, that it should load executables without crashing, and it should display some meaningful info in the different parts of the window.

What is missing is handling the location of sourcefiles (for display in the 'sources' pane) and correct handling of external modules (shared objects and libraries) and probably adjustments to the displaying of symbols (variables). Everything else is either the same as db101 or better, because the new code base has better readability and better targeting to problems.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@alfkil

Thanks for the background information. I've browsed the code some and it appears to be well written, which left me puzzled as to why it just wouldn't work. I hope to be able to try it again some day when things get straightened out. In the mean time, I guess further testing will be up to those with access to newer kernels.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)