Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

Georg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

PageStream crashes when importing EPS files under AmigaOS4.1
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have noticed that PageStream 4.1.5.6 crashes always (8000 0003) when trying to import EPS (Encapsulated Postscript) files under AmigaOS 4.1. This problem has been present as far as I have used OS 4.1. The OS version has not had any effect.

Is there any fix for this?

When running PageStrem in classic Amiga or with E-uae there is no similar problem. PGS files which already include EPS graphics also work with OS 4.1. Thus, the problem is only seen when trying to import EPS.

Go to top
Re: PageStream crashes when importing EPS files under AmigaOS4.1
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Gregor

Not very helpful I know, but that's the way it goes with ancient software AFAIK there has been no progress on PageStream whatsoever since 2010 when the very-alpha version 5.0.5.8a for 68k was released.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Anyone think the pagestream dude would be open to a crowdfund to buy the source and open source it? Not like he's making anything from it otherwise... and assuming he's still alive - last i heard he went off to live in a shack in the desert or something

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@NinjaCyborg

Quote:
Anyone think the pagestream dude would be open to a crowdfund to buy the source and open source it?

I'd strongly advise against it. First, the author has scammed hundreds of people by not delivering what they paid for, so he doesn't deserve any more money. Second, the core sourcecode is over twenty-five years old and would be difficult to modernize without a substantial rewrite. If the author himself found it impossible to produce a working 68k version of PageStream 5 (let alone a PPC version, for which he nevertheless happily accepted payments), how could an outsider possibly make head or tail of his messy code?

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

Good point well made

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I fully expect to see a working PS 5.0 in the wild just in time for the 22nd century!

:)

DiscreetFX Studios
http://www.discreetfx.com

Making Your Digital Films More Effective!

AmigaOS 4.1: AmigaOne X5000
MorphOS: Powerbook G4, iBook G4
Classic AmigaOS: CDTV(2), Amiga CD32, Amiga 3000, Vampire V4+: ApollOS, AmigaOS 3.2
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Could someone here please confirm that the import EPS issue is generally present with OS 4.1, and not just a local problem due to my settings...? EPS files can be easily created e.g. with AmiPDF, by printing a document as EPS to a file. Thank you!-)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Gregor

Try this workaround:
-open the eps file with AmiGS
-print to an eps file
-import the new eps file to PageStream

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@lazi

>Try this workaround:
>-open the eps file with AmiGS
>-print to an eps file
>-import the new eps file to PageStream

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately eps files created with AmiGS also cause a crash in PageStream. BTW, it seems that AmiPDF prints via AmiGS, and it is AmiPDF which I have used for creating eps files from PDF ones.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Gregor

Could you provide an example eps file somehow?
Just tried with some files without problems. So it shouldn't be a general issue.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@lazi

Do you have VPDF installed (from OS4depot)? In it's 'test' directory there is a sample file named 'hello.pdf'. If I print it with AmiGS (using default settings) to an eps file, it has the size of 6484 bytes. Can you import also that into PGS in your system without a crash?

What machine are you using? I have a X5000. Maybe this issue is depending on hardware...?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Gregor

It works here without problems. (Peg2, uA1)
Can't test on the X5000 currently, but I will if I have some time to set up the system.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@lazi

Ok, thanks for testing... I tried also to disable 'JIT' from compatibility prefs, and export eps from PGS but no change.

Go to top

Register To Post