Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 101

trixie, saimo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

SmartFileSystem on X5000
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I have recently aquired an X5000 system. I need it to be able to read SmartFileSystem partitions from a secondary harddrive. DOS/02 partition from same hd is recognized, but the system fails to read the SFS partitions. Can I set up a mount-list to do this, and if yes then how?

Go to top
Re: SmartFileSystem on X5000
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Check if in the kickstart folder you have SmartFileSystem. If yes, check the kicklayout file if it loads it. If not, add a line to load it similar the other filesystems.

If there is no such file, you need to get it from an older version of AmigaOS 4.1 and add it in kickstart folder and kicklayout.

Also, the latest version comes with Enhancer package.

After that, logically, you will be able to access the SFS partitions.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@walkero

I believe the version from Enhancer is the only one which will work on an X5000. I.e. no need to try finding an older version on an OS 4.x installation.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
As it already been said you need the version from the enhancer package.

Isn't all X5000 bundled with it? so it should be no problem.
iirc the enchancer installer will not add it to your kicklayout so you have to add it yourself.
Also remember to install and add diskcache.library.kmod from the same package as it will boost the sfs performance.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Ok, thanks!

Only problem is, that I cannot boot both harddrives together. Only way I can access secondary disc is by booting OS41FE CD on optical + secondary disc. Is there some trick that will enable me to boot the two harddrives together? For instance: Is there a boot select shortcut in the bios, that I can access somehow?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@alfkil

The X5000 can only boot from the motherboard SATA, so if your secondary HD is attached to e.g. a SATA card, it won't boot.

You might need to connect one drive to one of the motherboard SATA connectors, and the other drive to the other (which I'm guessing would mean unplugging your optical drive).

If both of your HDDs are connected to the onboard SATA, you might need to check boot priorities. There is also a UBoot setting that is supposed to ensure that the selected partition boots all the way through - I can't recall what it is but maybe Niels can (it doesn't work on my X5000).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@daveyw

Quote:
There is also a UBoot setting that is supposed to ensure that the selected partition boots all the way through - I can't recall what it is but maybe Niels can (it doesn't work on my X5000).
os4_bootdevice=auto

Strange that it doesn't work for you, it works fine on mine.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@daveyw

Quote:
The X5000 can only boot from the motherboard SATA, so if your secondary HD is attached to e.g. a SATA card, it won't boot.

The secondary hd is from a different machine. I'm guessing, that there is a difference in some Kickstart module making it unfit to boot the X5000.

With the added files from EP it now reads the remaining partitions. Thanks for the tips! Also there was the added (ahem) detail of different boot priorities. Tweeking those came up with a bootable configuration.

ADDED: There seems to be an issue with swallowed key presses from the main keyboard. Is there a known issue with keyboards on X5000's?

Go to top

Register To Post