Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

Skateman, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

help for programs that use SDL
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I would like to try to solve this problem but I don't know if it is possible to do it.

when I use for example programs that use SDL like scummVM
if in the same session I use another program that uses SDL such as MilkTracker everything slows down.

Is it due to emulation?

Is there a software way to correct this problem?

for example, but I could say a lot of nonsense to open separate processes or something like that to ensure that the two programs do not conflict with each other.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Go to top
Re: help for programs that use SDL
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@white

When you say emulation, do you mean WinUAE? If so, are you also using PatchCompositeTags patch?

Have you checked these applications separately regarding their CPU / resource usage?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Capehill
Thanks for the reply,
Yes I am using winuae and obviously there are limitations and differences from the real hardware.
But I wouldn't want to get the settings wrong or I could use some tricks in managing multiple applications at the same time if they exist to improve this problem by asking you who are experts in 4.1FE amigaos.

An example is this:
I use E-UAE together with ScummVM at this point the two applications slow down a lot if instead I close one of the two applications everything goes back to being fast.
I am aware that there is no point in using the two applications together.
But the problem I would always like to solve if it is possible
Is it possible to make the two applications work together without slowing down?
This would help me manage the system much better
Always if it is possible to do so.
Thanks again for any advice.

I report here again a small video to explain myself more fully
here I am using three applications together:
emotion
odyssey streaming (AIO)
E-Uae

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvX21LL4vCg

everything works perfectly but I am aware that if I open an application like scummVM the system will slow down a lot not because the processor cannot manage a fourth application but because it simply calls into question another application that conflicts with E-UAE
Could I improve this situation somehow?

here instead another example in reality the applications slow down because they conflict with each other using for example together SDL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdNE9mdagRM

Thanks and sorry again if I could solve this I would take a big step forward in making the system fast.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I also use patchcompositetag eg scummVM could not be displayed correctly as also milktracker etc.
but it does not solve the problem of the slowness of programs if used in the same session at the same time.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@white

From PatchCompositeTags documentation:

"Do not enable the composition effects on the WB Do not start several progs using the compositing at the same time as this program is not a real .library and therefore does not allow this".

If you are using SDL2-based applications, could you try the following workaround, type:

setenv SDL_RENDER_DRIVER "software"

Then start applications. Now, SDL2 tries to default to SW rendering and in theory you don't need PatchCompositeTags but however some programs may be adamant and force HW acceleration anyway.

Go to top

Register To Post