Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Overlay borked
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Everything was working fine a few days ago, but now MPlayer won't play videos. I think I've somehow managed to break overlay on my graphics card, if I use an old version of MPlayer or set it to use SDL as video output it works ok.

Is it actually possible to disable the overlay functionality of the graphics card driver? How do I get it back? Could something else be wrong?

Chris

Go to top
Re: Overlay borked
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

If you haven't changed anything on your OS setup and/or
MPlayer settings then it's strange that it wouldn't work.

Can't be much of help here, no overlay for Radeon9800 (yet)

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
Is it actually possible to disable the overlay functionality of the graphics card driver? How do I get it back? Could something else be wrong?

Sure.
Usually due to settings in the GUI: wrong version of GUI used for wrong version of MPlayer, multiple copies of MPlayer on system with wrong path in GUI, etc.
Check those 1st.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@number6

I've re-downloaded and extracted it, run the MPlayer_G4 executable from the command line but it makes no difference.

Depending on the file, it either crashes after "libavformat file format detected." or:

VO: [p96_pip] 480x360 => 480x360 Planar YV12
Unable to open a window
FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.

FATAL: Could not initialize video filters (-vf) or video output (-vo).

If I add -vo sdl to the exact same command line (in the second case), it will then play. The first case file I can get to play with sound only if I mess around with options in the GUI.

The only thing that has changed, is my Apps partition corrupted and I had to salvage everything and re-format it. After that I have reinstalled the SDK because the filesystem links were messed up and rendered it unusable.

MPlayer is on Apps, but as I say I have replaced all the files with newly downloaded ones.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

Have you tried using MPlayerGUI?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Just checked under shell:
Yep.
G3 version now requires -vo sdl also for RC#2.
No entry required for audio.
version full MPLayer_G3
MPlayer Epiphany Version (2006-01-06)
^^This should read 2007. Oh well.
(Andrea and numbers, lol)

Also checked with exp#3, which I also still use.
All that required was MPlayer [filename].
version full mplayer
MPlayer for AmigaOS4 dev-SVN-r19364

Hmmm...we may need afxgroup to confirm.

The notes on RC#2 indicate a change would have to be made anyway at some point, so no biggie.

Edited by number6 on 2007/8/3 2:57:54
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@number6

So you're getting the same thing?

Bizarrely I switched on this morning, tried MPlayer straight away, and it is now working again!

It must be an intermittent bug in MPlayer, a bit like the USB Prefs one.

@Raziel

Yes, does the same thing.

Chris

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Did you tried with DvPlayer?
It would clarify if it's an mplayer problem or not.

A1-XE/G4@933+Radeon7500/64MB, A1200BPPC+BVision
AmigaOS4 on both of course.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
So you're getting the same thing?

I did. But...

When I asked someone else to confirm what -we- had both seen, they said "no". Then, after comparing the versions #s we were using for said tests, I noticed we were not comparing the results from the exact same versions.

That's why I also included the "version full" for my differing results with RC and exp. With 2 versions of RC1, one version of RC2 and 3 of exp, I deemed it necessary

ok. So, most of the time we can say "blah blah with latest [program name]" But MPlayer really has so many possible places to fall over, I think we need to be more specific in reporting anomalies. The most troubling is still the parameter list being different from version to version. This gets further complicated if users employ the wrong GUI for the wrong version. Then we have the ellusive "codecs conf" directory contents. In that case, internal conflicts with what the "codecs conf" file says. So, some versions you use that file, some not. Then there are the differing responses to "fonts", depending on whether you have the old "fonts" directory installed or not. On top of that and more, we have the lack of arexx stop still hanging out there. Playing .mp3 or an A/V file where ONLY the audio codec is recognized/accepted still causes the audio to play without option to abort (through the GUI). You can close the program, hit escape...nothing stops it. However, in shell "abort" still works for the same condition on the same version.
As far as features go, it still needs television like controls to adjust brightness, contrast, tint, saturation, etc. on the fly.
The issue of non-supported codecs will also dog us, because of licensing issues such as those for the PPC linux codecs.

In short, the program will need a bit more fine tuning before it can become the kind of A/V player that satisfies most needs. That too, becomes difficult when we can only test it on hardware that cannot playback A/V properly, as clearly shown through the debug feedback. Let's be honest...as time gets devoted to making slight improvements in -that- area, the general market keeps releasing more stressful codecs that our systems can not handle.
(Not a rant, just my honest appraisal of where I feel the program stands at present)

Quote:
It must be an intermittent bug in MPlayer, a bit like the USB Prefs one.

I can not conclude that at this juncture, mostly due to all the other things mentioned above.

Edited by number6 on 2007/8/3 18:15:26
Go to top

Register To Post