Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

BillE, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

os4depot in 2020
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Did anyone notice that the 2020 year was the best one since 2015 by the amount of the new and updated files on os4depot? Hope 2021 will beat it as well and together with all the progress we have on the software and hardware side lately we can come back to the ~2010 year values.

And thanks to Orgin and other ones who maintain os4depot for all 16 (!) years!

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: os4depot in 2020
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
That's great but is there a reason it exists when there's already aminet? Having to check both to see if one has the newest version of a file depending on whether the developer was diligent to put it on both is a real pain and cause of much confusion if you have say, something that is on aminet that contains both os3 and os4 builds, and then something on os4 which may or may not be by the same dev or might be a different port or different app with the same name by a different dev, which may be newer, or older, or based on a different sourcecode fork, than the one on aminet, or may not be, or may be.

At the very least wouldn't it make sense to integrate it with the amiupdate tool so it offers something different from Aminet, and because amiupdate is so half baked?

Turning it into something like an Amiga version of an apt repository would be tremendously useful.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Asking after 16 years "is there a reason for": yeah, if it lives for 16 years there should be reasons :) Not the last one is:

1). os4 centric
2). didn't have a bunch of unnecessary mod and image files
3). handled better and faster
4). have more deep stats, to those who love jerky on the statistic (like me)
5). it has youtube vids, images, comments, votes, and all other stuff I don't remember now.

As for Aminet, there probably almost no os4 apps which have newer versions on Aminet compare with os4depot. And if there any, then it probably some unnecessary Hollywood scripts :)

And anyway, think about it that it just a bunch of hobby ppls, who for _that long_ take care about, for free, without any profit from and only with losing time on. It kind of speaks.

Can be things be different and better everywhere and handled more clearly and logically? Like one single site for everything, like one single depo for everything. Of course. But there will be someone to come and say that it is all wrong and should be done differently and blababal. We there are a bunch of retarded ppls centric mostly to os4, don't expect most of us to be sane and logical enough :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Yep that's true, i also noted that, this year we have almost the amount of 2015.. not bad considering all.. and most of them are real new software (or updates) and not just old programs uploaded on os4depot merely for preservation

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

Please lobby them to make it integrated with a proper package management / auto update solution

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Don't forget that even other operating systems do not have a repo about everything, not even one solution about everything (i.e. FlatPacks vs AppImages vs Snaps). We are people and we like to have multiple solutions.

I like OS4Depot how it is, and it is not big deal for me to check two different websites. Although, I'd love to see more developers support AmiUpdate to be honest. It is a great app and should be used more, IMO.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I have forgotten AmiUpdate. I have AutoInstall scripts in the packages even.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top

Register To Post