Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
53 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 52

AmigaOldskooler, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
SMBFS now working with Windows 7 (?)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I've just download & installed a new release of SMBFS from OS4Depot, and from a quick test it seems to work with Windows 7 !

I was previously using v1.74 (from 2009), which would allow me to see files, but their downloaded contents was nonsense. With this latest version (v1.102), I now appear to be able to read the contents of files.

I have not yet tried writing files, creating new files, nor heavily tested it in general. But I am hoping I can get it to work with (my latest private version of) FolderSync2, as then I could stop using FTP Mount (which has had some issues, plus FTP introduces an extra step on the target PC).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: SMBFS now working with Windows 7 (?)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Works fine, yes. Olaf is trying to improve the writing speed too!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Vulture

Using it with Windows 10 to transfer some files right now, seems to work fine :) . Great tool indeed.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@hotrod

Can someone please give a step-by-step guide on gow to set it up on the windows side (preferrably 10)?

I am able to connect to my share, but on accessing it i get a "Object not found error"

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Oooh, nice, it has UTF-8 support. That might solve my problems with FolderSync

...except it doesn't appear to actually do anything. Enabled or disabled, anything with UTF-8 characters gets filtered out, even though all the characters exist in ISO-8859-15 (directories containing ö for example)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

UTF8 is WIP.

Olsen is working hard on fixing it

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel

I've done nothing special, just sharing some folders. Anyhow, I am unable to copy some files using DOpus or Filer or Workbench but it does work using Shell and the copy command so that's what I'm doing. The filenames got dots in them, don't know if that's the reason, they don't show up in workbench at all.

Anyhow it's transfering the files using Shell and the copy command and that's good enough for me.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel Quote:
Can someone please give a step-by-step guide on gow to set it up on the windows side (preferrably 10)?

Do NOT use "Homegroup sharing", but instead use the traditional method of sharing:
(This is for Windows 7, but 10 should be similar.)

Check System (properties, Computer Name tab) for your Workgroup (probably WORKGROUP by default) AND ALSO your "Full computer name" (the latter is very important as it is used to identify your Windows PC over the network). Any changes here will require a reboot, so don't change unless absolutely necessary. Close the window.

Now right-click on your drive (or folder), choose Properties, go to the Sharing tab. You now EITHER click on the "Share..." button (easy simplfied way but maybe doesn't work for whole drives?) OR OTHERWISE click on the "Advanced Sharing...." button.

When using the Share button, you should add the desired User to give access to. Suggest either your own user name (not sure what happens if you use a Microsoft Account), a specially created user (e.g. "Amiga"), or simply just the Everyone 'user' (which let's literally anything connect & so is insecure - but maybe worth using temporary to minimise possible problems). The added user should be given Read/Write access (if you want to allow them to make changes). Once done it will create a network-accessible share with the same name as the folder (you have no choice here, so use Advanced Sharing method if you want a different name).

ALTERNATIVELY, when clicking the Advanced Sharing button, in the new window click the Add button, give a name for the network share (a description is not needed), and also Permissions to a chosen user (see above, but note that here Change=Read/Write, while Full means extra risky powers that your Amiga won't need).

You can now check if your network share(s) are visible to Windows by viewing "\\localhost" (no quotes). You should be able to open your share & view files.

If that works then ensure you know how to connect to your Windows PC over the network. Using the "Full computer name" you found earlier, let's say it is "LivingroomPC" for example, then check that you can see your share using "\\LivingroomPC" (no quotes).

Now, assuming that the network share you created as called "Documents", then you should be able to access it from the Amiga using:

SMBFS WORKGROUP="WORKGROUP" USER="YOURUSERNAME" PASSWORD="YOURPASSWORD" SERVICE="//LivingroomPC/Documents"

If you simply made it accessible to the Everyone user, then the following should suffice:

SMBFS WORKGROUP="WORKGROUP" SERVICE="//LivingroomPC/Documents"

If either of the above works, you should now be able to view that network share on your amiga using the "SMBFS:" assignment. There is an option for SMBFS to make this visible to Workbench, but I suggest avoiding that early on, because in old version I was not able to stop SMBFS (and change settings) without a reboot. Press Ctrl-C to stop SMBFS.

Once everything is working perfectly, you can start SMBFS from a script or User-Startup using something like:
Run <>NIL: AppDir:SMBFS ...

And then stop SMBFS using:
Break NAME "SMBFS#?" C

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I've done all that, i even created a new shared directory.

smbfs says
Connected '//PHENOMIIX4/Raziel' to 'WINDOWS:'; "Break 9" or [Ctrl-C] to stop...

but nothing shows up on workbench and i cannot cd into the directory because i still get the "Object not found" error.

If i right click on properties of the dir (any dir actually) on windows it tells me it's write protected (but i cannot change it, it will always go back to write protected.

What am i doing wrong?

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Check the docs and you will see that you can choose "volume" as argument which will make it appear on WB if you want that. I just type smbfs: in shell (or dopus for example) to get to the Windows share and then I can list files, copy etc.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel
Something is a bit odd about this version of SMBFS, because the (default) "SMBFS:" assignment doesn't appear in Filer's list of Assignments. However, I was still able to tell Filer to list it.

As hotrod says, telling it to create a device instead of an assignment may help you, but previously I've found it meant I had to reboot if I wanted to change any settings.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@hotrod

Thank you, but i already use this:

smbfs:smbfs WORKGROUP=RAZIELIM USER=RAZIEL PASSWORD="" DEVICE=SMBPC: VOLUME=WINDOWS: SERVICE=//PHENOMIIX4/Share

device and volume are listed in "info" but can't be accessed

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel
I tried using your DEVICE=SMBPC: VOLUME=WINDOWS: options, and that worked for me too (except I can't stop SMBFS with Ctrl-C, as expected).

Exactly what program are you using to (try to) access the SMBFS volume? I am successful using Filer.

What version of OS4 are you using? 4.1 FE?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
It seems very unreliable at writing files too, it keeps freezing up if I try to copy files to my share. I've had to revert back to the old one.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
sambamatic is a really nice complimentary tool for smbfs, takes the hassle out of figuring out the command line arguments.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel

I am only copying from my share to AOS, that's all that I've tried to do.

I'm using smbfs workgroup user password service

I've tried volume and I've tried device but if I leave those out and type smbfs: it'll work anyway.

That's all I've done and all I know.

CTRL-C didn't seem to work here at first but that was the case only when I was listing files from another program, as soon as I closed that program CTRL-C worked.

I could list files from the share and browse the share with Filer, DOpus 4 and 5, Shell. With the Volume argument I could browse the share from Workbench as well but some files wasn't visible. I could not copy the files from anywhere but shell.

The filenames where like this: this.is.a.file.with.lots.of.dots.s01.avi

I could copy the file from shell using copy *01* partition:

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

AmigaOS4.1 FE here

Used shell commands cd, copy, dir and list -> Object not found error

ASL Requesters from Multiview and Notepad -> Error with a flashing screen

Not sure what is wrong there, but it seems to be something on the PC side, maybe a firewall?

Maybe it's the Firewall in my router, don't know

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@hotrod

Mabye it's because my PC doesn't use a password, will try to add one to the PC user and see if that is the reason, thanks for the hint

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Vulture

Actually if you read up the doc it's pretty simple to handle the arguments, but of course, anything automatic is preferred, unfortunately starting smbfs is not the problem.

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@hotrod

Come here, mate, you're going to get the biggest smooch-over-the-internet on your cheek you ever had

THAT DID IT!!!

Seems smbfs needs a password, blank passwords work for connecting, but refuse (blcked by Windows presumably) to show or alter any files.

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Time for a bug report

Not sure why the formatting is broken, probably because of windows

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »