Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

clint, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Ultimate software pack bounty?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Wouldnt it be nice and helpful if there was a Ultimate software pack for AOS4 beginners? Alot of people ask me about what programs/games to download etc etc. Would it be hard to create such a ultimate software pack with installer? Would people be interested in a bounty to get it? I m not a programmer so i m not the guy to talk to. I just came up with the idea. I havent seen this question discussed before.

Newbies ultimate pack:
* Loview(Picture viewer)
* Tunenet(Music player)
* AmigaAMP(Music player)
* SabreMSN(IM client)
* Mui-OWB(Browser)
* Timberwolf(Browser)
* Cinnamon Writer(Word processor)
*Sketchblock(Painting application)
* ScummVM(Emulator)

Games:
* 1941 Deluxe
* Bos Wars
* Chocolate Doom
* FreeCiv
* Neverball
* Simutrans
* Wesnoth

This is just some examples. What would you like to see? Would you like to see a bounty to get it done? Lets brainstorm!!

Go to top
Re: Ultimate software pack bounty?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I think it would be easier to have an updated thread like the usb for os4 list here on amigans. Then when someone asks you just point to that URL. Theres also that amigapage, dont remember the name where you can find info on good apps for os4 etc.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Joeled

Think it's a good idea, I use most of what you have mentioned

SAM 460 with 2GB or RAM, 1000GB HD, 4 port SATA, DVDRW drive and Radeon HD 4650 GFX card.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yes, lets see what happens at amiwest

AmigaOne X5000
Radeon HD 7700
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Some programs are available on os4 extra installer. Why not just add them/more there?

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
And someone videoplayer and musicplayer too.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Joeled (#1):

Quote:

Original by Joeled:

Wouldnt it be nice and helpful if there was a Ultimate software pack for AOS4 beginners?

Hmmm - I see several problems with that:
1) everybody might have a different understanding of what "ultimate" means.
2) most programs that are "ultimate" to me are long discontinued and it might be hard to get the
author's/owner's permission.
3) As my "ultimate" programs are all pre-OS4.x, they're not native OS4 programs and either require to be run via
68k-emulation or a port to OS4. The latter might be hard, as the authors/owners might long have left the scene.

I have quite a collection of commercial Amiga Software and would love if a legal way could be found to build up a database holding all the old, discontinued Amiga killer software like e.g. DynaCadd , where on the one hand developers can pick up the task to try to port and overhaul/update those apps to OS4 or the other Amiga derivates and on the other hand users can download the old OS3.9-version or the new OS4-version.

My opinion is, that we need those old killer-Amiga-applications as a software base, until enough new high quality commercial applications are available for OS4 natively.

The OS is only useful in conjunction with applications to get the work done.
Without those apps the OS itself is useless.
Having such a repository for commercial old, discontinued Amiga killer software available might encourage more users (and hopefully also developers) to jump onboard the OS4-train.
The bigger the userbase, the bigger the chance to get the attention from developers and perhaps even software companies.

What OS4 needs is the availability of native high quality commercial applications like a decent office package (FinalOffice 97, good graphic programs like Cinema4d, ArtEffect and DynaCadd, professional audio ..., ... .

No doubt about it - it is a good thing to have the Aminet for OS3.x apps and OS4depot for OS4 apps - but as I just saw with the "multifunctional tool Jack" those apps often lack quality.
Fine, that someone made the effort and coded it - but if already the installer doesn't work, what was the devs effort good for? It was wasted time, as noone can use his program, when it is not installable...

I'm not saying that all apps stored on Aminet or OS4depot have such issues (I also found a lot of really useful stuff there) - but I've already downloaded a lot of stuff from Aminet that wasn't worth the hassle of downloading and installing, as it simply didn't what it should...

B.T.W. does a native OS4-Version of Hollywood exist?
At least Hollywod can generate OS4-code from a project...
If no OS4 version exists, it might be time to contact Andreas Falkenhahn - the sale of Hollywood is already stopped, although the development continues (as the appearance of v5.2 demonstrated).

Edited by Dandy on 2012/11/27 11:37:02
Edited by Dandy on 2012/11/27 11:42:36
Go to top
Anonymous
While overall I can agree, bear in mind that most of these apps are ... hmmm ... less useful by today standards and power of apps and that seems that only light AmigaOS 4 apps will see are either small user made apps or open source software ports like Blender, GIMP and Open Office.

And that is well enough and legitimate and appealing in today world.

Hollywood is OS4 native app, avail for Windows too.

p.s.
Why do you think Jack lacks quality?
Just because owner is not able to test OS3 installer?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

On 11/29/2012, 0:31, vox wrote:

While overall I can agree, bear in mind that most of these apps are ... hmmm ... less useful by today standards and power of apps

Hmmm - that may depend on the apps you're thinking of.
I was thinking of e.g. DynaCadd, MaxonCAD, Cinema4d, CNCTool, NewIO, LogicWorks and the like.
And programs in this area are still useful. So much didn't change with view on the standardisation in machine engineering.

O.K. - the electronics engineering apps might need an upgrade, but that does not mean they're not useful at all these days. I can still do the same things I could do with them 20 yrs. ago.

And that's what I mean:
If I had to chose between having to use an 20 yrs. old 68k CAD program on an NG Amiga or not being able to do CAD at all on it, I'd do it with the 20 yr. old app.
Still much better than nothing.
Or are meanwhile apps comparable to DynaCadd natively available for AmigaOS 4.x?
Or will they be available in the foreseeable future?

Now I am in the position of having this desired old app - but what if a young machine engineering student with e.g. an A1X1k and AmigaOS 4.2 wants to use his setup to do e.g. CAD exercises?
He cannot - as no native machine engineering CAD programs for OS4 exist (or will become available any time soon).

So why not making things, that were available for the classics, available for the NG-Amigas as well? They can still be executed in emulation and benefit of the brute power of the latest Amiga hardware.

All it needs would be the authors/owners permission to store the old and discontinued apps in an AmiNet-like
database for public acess - be it for free or for a small fee.

Quote:

On 11/29/2012, 0:31, vox wrote:

only light AmigaOS 4 apps will see are either small user made apps or open source software ports like Blender, GIMP and Open Office.

Yeah - but AmigaNG platform not just needs "small user made apps" or "ported open source software".
Devs have not even thought about porting some of this open source software (e.g. CAD) to AmigaOS 4.x.
So if I want to start an engineering project on the Amiga, there is no other way than using these old 68k Amiga apps.
The good thing is these old apps will most likely "fly" on an A1X1k, one it is fully supported...

Quote:

Hollywood is OS4 native app, avail for Windows too.

I know.
I own the OS 3.x native version.

Quote:

Exactly.
It is no hard task to set up AmigaForever or the free UAE on an cheapo, old WIntel-PC to test the classic Installer script.

If an developer is too lazy to take this tiny bit of effort to ensure the classic Version of his code is installable at all, I have every reason to believe that he has put similar effort in coding the app itself...

Or in other words:
I am alarmed and won't waste my time with trying this app, if I can't get it installed in the first place...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Not only, but because its:

--slow pretty much in some basic areas (scrolling, opening of windowses, just all the whole navigation over)
--do not have support of RMB menus (true native amiga style, which all hollywood apps lack, and because of which all hollywood apps always can be detected like something "right, again no RMB, again the same lack of UI")
--easy to clash and put to the hibernate mode when nothing happens, but its still do something
--pressing on buttons open a new stuff not right now, but after 2-3-4-5 seconds (=> boring and slow).
--have promo-banners ! I.e. looks like some classic stuff done for promo something.
--and so on and so on.

And that is on my peg2 with 1ghz, which is not the slowest one for os4. Definately not an app which i will show to newcomer, or even to old users.

The only pluse, its maybe default design of main window, which looks pretty fine and that is not bork my system , and i can easy delete it. But thats all. No bubble-helps, no normal anymation of pressed buttons (or maybe its here, just slow pretty much), no RMB, no speed, combain of everything at once, etc. I even wonder why amigaos.net still have it in utilities, together with dopus and filler. Its not the app which show the strong points of aos for sure.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To Post