Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
69 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 67

MartinW, skygecko, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Notepad clipboard problem...??
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
So... My text file is appr 2MB large, and it consists of 61.725 lines of code. What I want to do is to copy lines 338 to 48996 into a new document. So I fire up my mouse and start marking text... takes forever. Ok done! Press the "Copy" button. Ok! Open a new document, done. Pressing "Insert"...

Boom! Never fails. Try it out (don't forget to save your work!). If you don't have a 2MB text file lying around, I can send you one .

Go to top
Re: Notepad clipboard problem...??
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
There is a problem alright. I tried a similar approach several times, first with a "clip" over 2 MiB in size. When I tried with a 118 KiB piece, I noticed a *LOT* of RAM is consumed when pasting to the new Notepad window: over 100 MiB. It was freed (so it seemed) when I closed the window, and no "Recoverable alert" came up, as it did with the larger clipboard clips.

There's something funny happening with Notepad's undo function, too. But the exact characteristics have eluded me. That wasn't a potentially dangerous flaw though.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yeah its called Undo-ing one freaking letter at a time and not Undo-ing one word/action at a time. ^.^

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
OK here's what I've got on the undo now.

When you start Notepad, you can undo/redo with both the menu (and the shortcuts) and the gadgets. However, as soon as you undo n times and redo n times also, the undo gadget will become ghosted. It will become available not by editing the document, but by undoing from the menu at least once.

I tried NotePad "52.1 (10.12.06)" as well, and that one behaves correctly, ghosting only the redo button, instead of both.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki Quote:
Yeah its called Undo-ing one freaking letter at a time and not Undo-ing one word/action at a tim

That doesn't explain it, since it would mean that the undo information for a single character (1 byte) takes about 1000 bytes of memory!!! A doubly linked list might take as little as 12 bytes per undo step, which means Notepad's undo would be nearly 100 times too large (doesn't make sense).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
The text pasting problem also seems related to memory allocation. When i pasted text much larger than 200KB my system froze. However, when I pasted about 200KB of text it worked but my available memory dropped from 840MB to 2MB and I was unable to open any other programs or load data in other programs. Instead I got an "out of memory" requester. It seems that there is something wrong with the memory allocation for several functions (undo, paste etc.).
On the other hand, I would have expected that the SWAP partition would be used if a program allocates more system memory than is available. I have to wonder what good SWAP is if it doesn't allow programs to use more memory than is physically available in ram.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Goodie, let's hope for a snappy fix!

Go to top

Register To Post