Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 140

Maijestro, rjd324, mbrantley, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Freescale Technology Forum 2011 anyone?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Anyone going next week?

Go to top
Re: Freescale Technology Forum 2011 anyone?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Not going but hoping they announce some new PPC products!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I won't attend the Freescale Technology Forum 2011 in America, that is too far and I don't even know if there is an interest for non-professional people.
But I will follow the news, of course !

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Aah, could be interesting news comming up.

I am gonna follow them via the facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/freescale

A1G3-SE + OS4.1 u1 iso (x2)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
First press release is out and it's looking good!

Link: Freescale Drives Embedded Multicore Innovation with New QorIQ Advanced Multiprocessing Series

In summary:
- announces new E6500 64bit core
- multithreaded (2 threads per core)
- up to 2.5Ghz clock rate
- 28nm process
- Altivec
- first chip is 12 core/24thread beast, T4240
- availability "early 2012" - typical Freescale

Looks like a good next-generation candidate for the X1000 series. By the time these are mature the timing should be about right.

Quoting directly from press release:

The AMP series consists of three levels of products within a scalable portfolio, initially spanning from ultra-high-performance processors featuring 24 virtual cores down to single-core products.

Control plane processors (service provider routers, storage networks)
Up to 6 cores running at up to 2.5 GHz
Greater than 6 MB L2 cache

High-end data plane processors (routers, switches, access gateways, mil/aero applications)
Up to 24 virtual cores running at up to 2.0 GHz
50 Gbps IP forwarding capability
Advanced application acceleration

Low-end data plane processors (media gateways, network attached storage, integrated services router) Up to 8 virtual cores running up to 1.6 GHz
Advanced application acceleration
Less than 10W power

Freescale's first product in the QorIQ AMP series, the T4240 device, integrates a host of hardware accelerators with 12 dual-threaded e6500 cores, providing 24 threads to address high-end data plane processing applications. Dual-threaded efficiency, improved DMIPs per thread and higher frequency deliver 4x performance gain and more than 2x power efficiency gain over the previous-generation QorIQ P4080 device. Advanced capabilities allow for intelligent sharing and duplication of resources between threads and a larger amount of on-die cache per core. Application examples for the T4240 device include metro carrier edge routers, access gateways and aerospace/defense products. Freescale will provide more details regarding the T4240 product later this year. The device is planned for initial availability in early 2012.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
Application examples for the T4240 device include metro carrier edge routers, access gateways and aerospace/defense products.

Kippie-i-ay, MF! Finally military-grade Amigas for everybody .

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The AMP chips sound awesome. I wish they'd say when others will come out. Sounds like one annoucnement/quarter, but will next one be higher or lower on the performance scale?

I saw one Amiga T-shirt on Monday but was rushing back to a class in progress and didn't get to chat or find out who it was.

I hear Genesi is in the vendor room but I haven't had time to go check them out.

Family tagged along for vacation, my baby boy grabbed, threw, and broke the ipod touch they lent out as a schedule and document information device. Booooo. :( Wonder what that will cost me.

I'm mostly here for the 4 big PCB design classes, but hope to check out the battery charging class tomorrow. Missed the one this morning from a combination of sleeping in and a flat tire on the way there. Another boooo.... Cool stuff here.

Go to top

Register To Post