Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 125

Rob, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

What do you want from your Amiga community portal?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi all,

I'd like to hear from the entire (as in, users from all aspects, not every single user personally) Amiga community, about what they expect from an Amiga community portal? I am especially interested in hearing from Australian users.

If one were to create a local community portal, how would you use it? How often would you visit? What sort of content would you expect to see (what would make you come back again and again)?

Is there space in the current community for yet another portal site? What browsers would you be using to access the site? Which technologies would you hate to see in a new portal?

Also, if you run a current portal (especially more popular ones) would you be willing to share stats as to a count of users accessing the site, the percent of that count coming from Australia, browsers in use etc? I'm willing to do this part privately, as not everyone wants these figures out in the open for privacy reasons. I also realise that a publuic thread like this may be un-balanced by a vocal but minority group, so server stats from live, popular portals would be very interesting to me.

I have cross posted this to all the portals I visit, in order to get the widest coverage of Aussie Amigans, please don't hurt me

If you can read portals in other languages (I can only read English ), and there are features on the non-english portals you think would be good in an english speaking forum, please also let me know about it.

From this discussion I will most likely be posting an online survey for Aussie Amigans to fill out, so I can get some direction on the best way to go for a possible project.

Have at it!

Thanks,

tiffers

Go to top
Re: What do you want from your Amiga community portal?
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@tiffers

With an ever-decreasing market such as this, it seems a lot of work to create yet another English speaking website to accomodate Amiga users. It's your time, of course, so it's your decision, but I really wonder if there are enough users to warrant the work involved.

I would perhaps think about offering your services and talents to an existing site, and help improve that "portal" instead.

Unless there is something really specific that needs to be addressed for an Australian audience that I'm missing...

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Anonymous
@Tiffers

"about what they expect from an Amiga community portal"

1. Fairness. So long as you aren't attacking a person and continually repeating yourself and discussing something in a mature fashion then no subject should be interdit.

2. Courtesy. Those that get personal are out on their ear.

3. Accountability. Those that run the site have to adhere to rules as much as those that attend it.

4. Site actually works with older Amiga browsers, even in limited form.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@rigo

So negative, so negative.

Quick question for you, looked briefly at the SDK Autodocs folder, does Codebench incorporate these in a way like a help/search system? These Autodocs don't appear to be organised very well.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@djrikki

Yes it does, and it's totally off topic in here.

There is a support forum for CodeBench here

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Anonymous
#5 For the staff to be polite and not sound like they have got PMT.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hmm. An Australian forum.

Would everything be upside to the European visitors?

Happiness is mandatory
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tiffers
We have a danish Amiga forum (amiga.dk) but it isn't used a lot. Would an Australian be used, I mean language wise you don't have any problems with Amigans.net or Amigaworld.net.

What would an australian site be able to offer that makes it worth the effort?

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
s??? ???l ?ool ll? plno? ?? '?s?no? ?O

oopoo?@

edit damn, something screwed that up.

Go to top
Anonymous
@Chris

Using AmigaOS? ;) Or synergy...?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@DaveP

AmigaOS, how did you guess?

NetSurf worked with the upsidedowntext.com website, I copied the text and it looked fine in the form on amigans.net... but when I posted it the weird characters changed to question marks. If it's a NetSurf problem I might be able to fix it when the temperature cools to a level where my brain can function. There's an outside chance it's the configuration of Xoops or the web server stopping it, as I've never seen non-Latin characters posted here before IIRC.

OWB faired worse, as the characters were screwed up even on the upsidedowntext.com website. Didn't try Timberwolf as the lack of copy'n'paste would make it impossible to post.

Some smart Alec will probably post upside-down text using iBrowse now

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@chris

upsidedowntext.com haha

what about this?

ⓦⓗⓐⓣ ⓐⓑⓞⓤⓣ ⓣⓗⓘⓢ

www.bubbleballtext.com :D

Go to top

Register To Post