Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
213 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 212

trixie, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

how prevent user from moving/renaming a file? (WORKED AROUND)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Does anyone know of a way to prevent the user from moving/renaming a file on AmigaOS?

I believe Lock()ing a file only prevents it from being deleted, which is handy from the users point of view, but not helpful in my particular case.

Edited by ChrisH on 2011/6/14 12:32:13
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: how prevent user from moving/renaming a file?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
With Linux you would make the file immutable but that requires extra acl's other than the regular rwx properties. I would be interested if you could do the same with files under AmigaOS.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Maybe behaviour of write and delete flags should be changed. If file is write protected (protected against modification) renaming it shouldn't be allowed either (because renaming a file is one way to modify it). And if it's delete protected moving it shouldn't be allowed (because moving it basicly requires deleting it from the source).

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:

I believe Lock()ing a file only prevents it from being deleted

Did you try? What I experienced with locked files is that I can neither move nor delete nor rename them (which is what makes sense at most in the meaning of "locked", anyway), so all your wishes come true at once.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Just to add some info about locking of files on os4 and to lock() (i think):

Usually when i compile some binary, and it crashes, and i still have GR window alive , i can't write to the same file again, because file is locked.

But its enough just to rename binary to anything else, and rename will works fine, and i can again create a binary with the same name as it was before.

So i can think about 2 moments:

1. maybe that lock() not prevent file to rename (not real lock then)

2. maybe os4 use not lock() on some stage

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I don't think you can stop a file from being renamed.

You can stop it from being opened with an exclusive lock but the user can rename the locked file.

Why would you want too?

If a user wants to rename a file, they probably have a reason for it. What do you want to stop them achieving?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Sprocki Quote:
Did you try? What I experienced with locked files is that I can neither move nor delete nor rename them (which is what makes sense at most in the meaning of "locked", anyway), so all your wishes come true at once.

It has been my extensive experience with AmigaOS that locked files can be renamed & moved... however I double-checked, and that does appear to be the case. The main reason for saying "I believe" is I didn't know if there was some trick that could make lock() do what I want.

@broadbandblues Quote:
You can stop it from being opened with an exclusive lock but the user can rename the locked file.

Why would you want too?

The file is REQUIRED for the program to operate correctly. My fake-threading implementation for C++ (which works-around the fact that exceptions cause multi-threaded C++ programs to die horribly on AmigaOS) needs it's executable file to not be moved or renamed, so that it can still find it after the program has been started.

IDEA: Having lock()ed the file, which prevents deletions, I wonder if I can correctly tell where the file is after the user has moved/renamed it? That could be a work-around...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

The file is REQUIRED for the program to operate correctly. My fake-threading implementation for C++ (which works-around the fact that exceptions cause multi-threaded C++ programs to die horribly on AmigaOS) needs it's executable file to not be moved or renamed, so that it can still find it after the program has been started.

IDEA: Having lock()ed the file, which prevents deletions, I wonder if I can correctly tell where the file is after the user has moved/renamed it? That could be a work-around...

so the program needs to find itself? and it has a lock on 'itself'?

int32 success = NameFromLock(BPTR lock, STRPTR buffer, int32 len);

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Incripted directory works. ISTR, that Lock() refers to IO and not security. Some file operations need to be locked to prevent interrupted operations.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues
I wasn't certain whether NameFromLock() would provide the correct information after a locked file was moved, but it does seem to. So problem solved :)

Go to top
Re: how prevent user from moving/renaming a file? (WORKED AROUND)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

In this very unlikly case, can't you have that CreateNewProc stub simply fail with a NULL return code, just as any failed attempt at starting a process?? I mean, it could also be that this newly started copy would also fail because of lack of memory or anything.

Most processes are started right at program start anyway and won't have this problem. But if NameFromLock really works then that's great!

Locking from renaming (which thankfully seems impossibly) would also make it difficult to develop since a crashed instance cannot be compiled again because "text file is busy".

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Deniil Quote:
Most processes are started right at program start anyway and won't have this problem

Not in the case of my PictureAlbum program: When-ever the window becomes inactive/active it uses my 'std/cGfx' module to disable/enable the window vsync (along with associated video buffer, which thus saves video memory), and a side-effect of this is that it's vertical-blank-watching thread gets disabled/enabled.

I noticed this when I started recompiling it (which deletes the executable) while it was still running, and then reactivating the window caused it to crash. The same would happen if it was renamed/moved, but luckily the work-around is fairly easy

Quote:
can't you have that CreateNewProc stub simply fail with a NULL return code, just as any failed attempt at starting a process??

It should have done that, and an exception should get thrown in that case... but for whatever reason that leads PictureAlbum to crash (it's certainly a rather unexpected situation to have to deal with).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

It should have done that, and an exception should get thrown in that case... but for whatever reason that leads PictureAlbum to crash (it's certainly a rather unexpected situation to have to deal with).

Not being able to start a process should not be an unexpected situation IMO, rather it should be expected just like being out of memory, especially considering the size of PE (C++) executables.

Anyway, sounds like you're figuring it out :)

Another thing that just struck me with this technique: Isn't there a pretty noticable delay relaunching the entire app rather than executing a plain function when starting and stopping the process in runtime?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Sounds like something MicroSoft does?

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Deniil Quote:
Another thing that just struck me with this technique: Isn't there a pretty noticable delay relaunching the entire app rather than executing a plain function when starting and stopping the process in runtime?

You would have thought so, but that does not seem to be the case! If it did ever turn out to be the case, then I could fairly easily stop it from happening (it would just complicate the code).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

You would have thought so, but that does not seem to be the case! If it did ever turn out to be the case, then I could fairly easily stop it from happening (it would just complicate the code).

Still, for simple things with high frequency creating/destroying one could just use the old normal way while just be aware of the issue with exceptions.

Go to top

Register To Post