Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
189 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 187

livebyfaith74, FlynnTheAvatar, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Calling all OS4 beta testers
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@emeck

Quote:

emeck wrote:
@MichaelMerkel

That seems a good idea. Maybe an option in GR to send a report, that launches that tool and fills in the blanks: kickstart version, some libraries versions, gfx card model, cpu, free memory, maybe exchange can be used to list commodities running in the background, attach a crashlog, and send the report to a "repository".

Also, after a crash, the OS could start with a message like: "Your system has come back from a crash. Would you like to report it?" If it is possible that, of course.

I absolutely agree! I have bugs too but a) Sometime my computer when crashes it also freezes and cannot send any crash log b) I do not know what and how should I describe it c) I do not know where to send it (contact perosn, e-mail address, website).

To anyone listing, please make a feature like exactly as emeck described it and of course amend it in order to be filled in with information essential to the developers!

Go to top
Re: Calling all OS4 beta testers - help us report OS4 bugs!
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
I wouldn't mind setting up a tracker on os4depot.

However, that said, there MUST be someone responsible for taking care of the reported issues. That is, making sure they are closed when being reported to the os4 developers, invalidated when people have reported a duplicate bug and so on. Or else it would just end up in a dung pile that no one actually never looks at.

If such a person is found that has the ability to submit issues to Hyperion then let me know and I'll set it up.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
So we need only someone, who will sorted out all reported bugs, and send it in good way to Heperion. I easyly can be such person (sorted bugs, create detail information, watch out for database, etc), but need someone who have good contact with Hyperion, who will 100% and directly works with Hyperion, and will 100% send that work to Hyperion. Imho, something like bugs.os4depot are enough already (for begining). And of course, Hyperion must (not maybe, but really must) put some strings on their main webstie like "by this link, you can report all possible bugs which you found".

Then all users will know that is official way, and that os developers think about users in good way. I can do all the boring/routing work realted to it, but need someone who will without "sometime" , and "maybe i will have a look at this", grab per monts info and send it directly to Hyperion.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all

Also is there some document that describes how to betatest? or should we write one?

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Elwood

If we will found that Hyperion in interest to get from users bug reports (sorted, filtered and alt), then, such text will be done with no problems on site which will be choisen (i think bugs.os4depot ?) for.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all
I wrote:
Quote:
there is no official way to report OS4 bugs, (but) it has been suggested to me that the best way is to get an OS4 beta tester to be able to reproduce the bug...

Quote:
So this is a request for all OS4 beta testers, who are willing to help reproduce bugs found by others, to announce themselves. Hopefully we can get a good list together.

Since no OS4 beta-testers have answered yes to my request, I have to assume that no OS4 beta-testers are willing to help in that regard. Therefore the original suggestion seems unworkable

Although I have received several offers for OS4 beta testers to help me personally report bugs, that sadly rather misses the point.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: Calling all OS4 beta testers
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

With ONE big difference - registration must NOT be required!

I will second that, registration for every bloody site you want to use maybe once in your entire lifetime is a real pain.

Another rquiremnt is that any such site *mus* work with IBrowse and AWeb, I am not willing to use sites like Sourceforge which are dismal in IB. Nor would I be willing to fire up OWB or heaven forbid my Mac just to be able to report problems with Amiga OS. If a site doesn't work in IB then I will not use it - full stop.

However, the simplest way is to just email someone about the problem. Eventually after months of being ignored someone does get back and is able to repeat the same problems

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
So this is a request for all OS4 beta testers, who are willing to help reproduce bugs found by others, to announce themselves.

It's not only a matter of willing, sometimes you don't have the hardware to reproduce some bugs.

Also do not underestimate the time needed to do such thing. As an example if you want to debug some harddisk detection problem; you'll probably need to open your case, switch SATA cables around, then reboot, then change cables again.....
One may spend one hour just chasing a potential bug which may not exist in his setup.
All this can be very frustrating

An alternative could be something like:
- someone reports a bug
- other people tries to reproduce it.
- if 5 people can reproduce it then the OS4 betatester referent will try to reproduce it and report

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Elwood Quote:
It's not only a matter of willing, sometimes you don't have the hardware to reproduce some bugs.

I don't see the problem: Either the beta tester says which h/w he has, or else he just tells the user he doesn't have the same h/w as them, so that they'll have to try someone else.

Quote:
Also do not underestimate the time needed to do such thing.

I don't see that I did: The beta tester just has to say "sorry I am too busy at the moment, either wait for X days/weeks, or try someone else."

Quote:
An alternative could be something like:

I have no problem with alternatives, if the people involved will agree to it.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
On AmigaWorld.net, Hyperionmp posted to say that this place is the official place for reporting OS4 bugs.

I hope that some notice will be put on Hyperion's homepage to notify of this fact, as well as in OS4's documentation, so that no-one else has any question about how to do it in the future.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)