Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
181 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 181

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Switching to SATA - worth it?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I think about switching from ATA to SATA, now that i realized
that there are SATA150 DVD burner from LG

I also looked up some HD's from Seagate (60? up), but am unsure
about the compatibility.

1. As i understand it the Sil3112/3512 and SATA3114 are SATA150 only?
Can i use SATA300 HD's on them? (Of course loosing the high performance)

2. Can i boot from SATA drives as i can with ATA?

3. Whats the speed difference, is it worth it?

Thanks

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Re: Switching to SATA - worth it?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel

I dont think you can boot from a 3114 at the moment with the current UBOOT. So it might be wise to go with the 2 port 3112.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel

How much are those WD Raptors now.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rob

47 upto 220 Euros (according to the online dealer alternate.de

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jahc

Which leads me to the question (as i don't know much about
SATA) if i can use four drives with the 3112 (as the sil0680
can, or di i have to use the four port 3114 to be able to
plug three (or more) devices in?

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:

Raziel wrote:

2. Can i boot from SATA drives as i can with ATA?
U-Boot supports the sii3112, it doesn't support the sii3114. I don't know if the sii3512 is supported or not, it's not mentioned in the docs.
Booting in AmigaOS4 works with all 3 of course, but if you use a controller not supported by U-Boot AmigaOS4 has to be loaded from something else, for example the PATA HD you are currently using. If you are currently using a sii0680 and need the PCI slot for the SATA controller you can connect the HD to the motherboard VIA controller instead.

Quote:
3. Whats the speed difference, is it worth it?
There is no speed difference. Like with the PATA sii0680 and it8212 controllers the max. theoretical speed is 133 MB/s (UDMA6), and since you'll use it in a PCI33 slot it can't be faster anyway.
The motherboard VIA PATA controller only supports up to UDMA5 (100 MB/s), but that doesn't make any practical difference either, there are no HDs which are that fast, only reading/writing from/to the drive caches, not the disk itself, could be a little bit faster with a PCI UDMA6 controller compared to the motherboard UDMA5 one.

You can connect 2 drives to a sii3112 and sii3512, 4 drives to a sii3114.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
U-Boot supports the sii3112, it doesn't support the sii3114.

IIRC out latest U-Boot 1.2.0 build does support the sii3114. I'd have to check the source code, but I am pretty sure it does.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg

Thanks a lot, joerg, that pretty much answered all my
questions, so i'll save my honey for some other special bee

@Rogue

Quote:

IIRC out latest U-Boot 1.2.0 build does support the sii3114. I'd have to check the source code, but I am pretty sure it does.

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@All

Do anyone have a glue, if 3114 drivers are quequed yet?

Before there was some limitations to plug hd and cd/dvd to particular ports.

sg2, if you read this, can you confirm...?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
There is no speed difference. Like with the PATA sii0680 and it8212 controllers the max. theoretical speed is 133 MB/s (UDMA6), and since you'll use it in a PCI33 slot it can't be faster anyway.

So the best setup when disk access is crucial is to have a pic gfx card in 33MHz slot and HD controller in the 66 MHz slot
Hmmm....

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi Guys,

I purchased a 3114 card sometime ago and it has worked fine with my SATA HD, I just cant boot from it (Please release the latest UBoot).

Oh, I do have to set it as a HD and not Auto other wise it?s not recognised.

I have just tried to put in a LG DVD burner and no matter what I do it is not seen by the OS, no CD0: shows up at all. Any help appreciated.

I am wondering if I should just get a 3112 card instead, I can get one for under AUS$50.

Ciao,
Trev Daley.

AmigaOneXE G4/800Mhz * 512Mb Ram * Radeon 9200SE * AOS4.1.1
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
So the best setup when disk access is crucial is to have a pic gfx card in 33MHz slot and HD controller in the 66 MHz slot
Hmmm....
I have such a setup now, and HDs which are fast enough to make a difference.
Sequential reading of 250 MB in 64 KB chunks using the device (not through a file system) from identical HDs using UDMA5:
sii3112, PCI33 slot: 5.955 sec., 41.982 MB/sec.
sii3114, PCI66 slot: 3.204 sec., 78.017 MB/sec.

Unless there is a difference between the 3112 and 3114 or the drivers, I didn't test the 3112 in the PCI66 slot, using the PCI66 slot instead of a PCI33 one makes a much larger difference than it should.

But it's a quite useless test, there are no seeks and it's reading everything to the same 64 KB buffer without using the data (just using 2 64 KB buffers instead of one and alternate both drops the speeds to 37 and 63 MB/sec. already). On normal usage, through a file system, actually using the data read, etc., the difference is probably minimal.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tldaley

Quote:
I have just tried to put in a LG DVD burner and no matter what I do it is not seen by the OS, no CD0: shows up at all. Any help appreciated.
If the DVD burner has a higher unit number than the last HD start MediaToolBox and save the changes it should detect (it's no longer the last unit) to the last HD.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@joerg

I didn't know the sii cards could be used in a PCI66 slot. That's useful to know given that all my slots are full except that one.

Is the PCI66 slot operational when the AGP slot is being used? ISTR something about only one of these being useable.

Chris

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

Chris wrote:
@joerg

I didn't know the sii cards could be used in a PCI66 slot.
Check the card, PCI cards compatible to both PCI33 and PCI66 have 2 holes in the connector. You have to check it youself since the pin is missing in the PCI66 slot of the A1-XE, they used PCI33 ones for all 4 PCI slots and you can put a PIC33-only card in the PCI66 slot, but doing that would be a very bad idea since AFAIK PCI33 and PCI66 use different voltages.

Quote:
Is the PCI66 slot operational when the AGP slot is being used?
No, you can only use one of both.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
If the DVD burner has a higher unit number than the last HD start MediaToolBox and save the changes it should detect (it's no longer the last unit) to the last HD.

Ok, I opened up MediaToolbox, klicked on sii3114 and all that shows up is my HD.

Back in the old days all I would have to do is load CD0 into a text editor and change the Device and unit number. I am at a lost of what to do next. The DVD burner works fine under Vista.

Looks like getting a sii3112 board!

Ciao,
Trev Daley.

AmigaOneXE G4/800Mhz * 512Mb Ram * Radeon 9200SE * AOS4.1.1
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tldaley

Quote:
Ok, I opened up MediaToolbox, klicked on sii3114 and all that shows up is my HD.

Back in the old days all I would have to do is load CD0 into a text editor and change the Device and unit number.
It's not required on AmigaOS4 since it's done automatically by diskboot.kmod. Being able to edit a mountlist/DOSDriver file wouldn't help at all, if it's not shown by MediaToolBox the device driver didn't find it and CDFileSystem can't use it either, no matter if an automatic or a manual mountlist is used. Check your U-Boot sii3114 variables, maybe explicitly set the unit of the DVD Burner to CD/DVD instead of auto detection. If that doesn't help set the OS4 command line to "debuglevel=1" (or set the sii3114_verbose U-Boot variable, but I'm not sure about the name, check the docs), do a cold reboot and post the debug output from the sii3114 driver, you can get it with C:DumpDebugBuffer.

Go to top

Register To Post