Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
81 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 81

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Common Configure/Make invocation of host built binaries on build machine!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Much more often then not, I come across a project with the usual configure, then make etc and the following issue:

the configure knows that this is a cross-compiling toolchain and yet... STILL... in various location during the "make" process, the system will try and invoke some recently built binaries; of course, they do not work: they are have been built for a different host system running a different architecture!

So, am I missing a commonly used option to configure other than build/host/target? I do read the disable/enable,with/without sections of the configure, but it is still not always clear which one to use. Things like --disable-testing make sense.

Or, are these just people that have made the build system under the assumption that the programs are always executable by the build machine!?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Re: Common Configure/Make invocation of host built binaries on build machine!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@rjd324

IIRC some (big) progams use some sort of self made tools to generate sources/headers. It comes to mind UAE.
So if you build on crosscompiler it may build for the host machine and not for the "destination build machine" or wherever you run then.

Go to top

Register To Post