Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 119

davec555, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: AmigaMap, Why so few entries?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
...a page with NO map

bug is fixed. Same problem was also in Googles Chrome.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Since there's no support for UAE at that site, and it's the platform of choice for the majority of Amiga users, it's not going to be at all representative and will only cause pessimism. Which makes me wonder why they bothered in the first place.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Minuous

Found on the website :
"Out of a discussion on a1k.org came the idea that it would be helpful to know, how many Amiga computer are still active world wide."

It's for active hardware.

It's my personal opinion but the plarform for the majority of Amiga users is an Amiga not an alien platform emulating the Amiga platform. UAE is a nice solution for those who loved the Amiga, it can't be considered as an Amiga.

A1200PPC/Sam440ep/Sam460ex/X1000/X5020 OS4.1
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
It runs Amiga software, doesn't it?

If I run AROS on an IBM PC, it is an Amiga? But if I run the actual official AmigaOS on that same IBM PC, it is not an Amiga?!?

And a Crapintosh is certainly not any kind of Amiga, by definition it is a Mac not an Amiga, yet it is listed as a platform.

Emulation users should not be treated like 2nd-class citizens.

>the plarform for the majority of Amiga users is an Amiga not an alien platform emulating the Amiga platform.

If UAE was listed as an option we might have a chance to find out.

I have 4 Amigas but I don't use them at all. It would make no sense to list these and ignore the Amiga that I actually use every day, which is a UAE-based system.

If I may quote from the Amiga Forever site: "What happened? We don't know exactly. Everything seemed to be perfect until Tom had the knowledge that he was using a software Amiga, rather than a silicon one. There is no logical explanation to this reaction, because the Amiga itself didn't change between the test and the explanation, but in practice we have seen such a change in approach several times."

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
If I run AROS on an IBM PC, it is an Amiga? But if I run the actual official AmigaOS on that same IBM PC, it is not an Amiga?!?

both are not an Amiga. Exactly thats why Aros and MorphOS stats are separated from Amiga stats. Because of this fact.

Quote:
And a Crapintosh is certainly not any kind of Amiga, by definition it is a Mac not an Amiga, yet it is listed as a platform.

see above.

Quote:
Since there's no support for UAE at that site, and it's the platform of choice for the majority of Amiga users, it's not going to be at all representative and will only cause pessimism.

well i hope it is not so, otherwise I would not like to be Hyperion or any company who produces or sell still Amiga hardware.

Quote:
I have 4 Amigas but I don't use them at all. It would make no sense to list these and ignore the Amiga that I actually use every day, which is a UAE-based system.

why would it make no sense? exactly this is Amigamap about. To know how many and what kind of Amigas are still out there. It doesn't matter if in the basement in a box or on your office desk. And so started the project. Without Aros and MorphOS.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I will give you a bit background about:

Quote:
Out of a discussion on a1k.org came the idea that it would be helpful to know, how many Amiga computer are still active world wide.

The discussion was among others why the Indivision AGA Mk2 will only be released for the A1200/4000T. The answer from Individual Computers was, that the first "Indivision AGA A4000D/CD32" was a flop and it took to long to sell it - means: there are not enough A4000D and CD32 out there - or -they have already everything on board.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Well, if the purpose is purely to measure how many Classic Amiga machines still physically exist, for the purposes of evaluating the market potential of various proposed expansion hardware, I suppose that's fair enough. (But finding out how many IBM PC compatibles are running AROS doesn't serve this goal at all, any more than finding out how many are running UAE would.)

>Exactly thats why Aros and MorphOS stats are separated from Amiga stats. Because of this fact.

OK. It would be interesting to have UAE stats too though.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I don't think that UAE stats will help any further; on the other hand it may mess up the things.

Regardless from that, I've already voted for my Amigas.

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Permalinks for each country map now available. e.g. http://amigamap.com/amiga-canada.html

alternative also with country ISO code http://amigamap.com/amiga-ca.html

Edited by maw2k on 2011/12/1 21:29:43
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Having UAE stats is a waste of time in my opinion, I personally don't care how many people are using an old defunct version of AmigaOS to play nothing but games. For me I want to know how many people have taken the plunge and bought a next-generation Amiga or AmigaOS like operating system. Classic doesn't interest me in the slightest although do I respect those that do find an interest in it - but it isn't going anywhere.... if you have 4.1 installed than you are making progress otherwise its for nostagia only.

Progress, progress, progress...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
New features: Country list now online to access easier the map for each country. http://amigamap.com/countrylist.html

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
>Having UAE stats is a waste of time in my opinion, I personally don't care how many people are using an old defunct version of AmigaOS to play nothing but games.

Where did you get the idea that UAE is only for games? All my software is programmed inside UAE, I do occasionally play games with it but it is certainly not the main use. Amigas are not just for "nothing but games", I thought this stereotype had finally died out but apparently not.

>For me I want to know how many people have taken the plunge and bought a next-generation Amiga or AmigaOS like operating system. Classic doesn't interest me in the slightest although do I respect those that do find an interest in it - but it isn't going anywhere.... if you have 4.1 installed than you are making progress otherwise its for nostagia only.

Incorrect, it is not for nostalgia only. Please don't generalize and make assumptions like this. Not everyone is rich and can afford to buy new hardware, especially when that hardware is overpriced and underpowered.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Done. I was somewhat surprised that they wanted a password with upper and lower case. Well mine should be secure enough now if I can remember it.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
2.8 Beta online

more of a bugfix release, and now with more permalinks > few js functions. therefore basically better to link (almost all sites).

e.g.

http://amigamap.com/global-amiga-graph.html
http://amigamap.com/global-morphos-graph.html
http://amigamap.com/global-aros-graph.html

http://amigamap.com/global-amiga-map.html

etc.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)