Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 145

balaton, flash, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Replaces, part 2 (orgin, plz read)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
We have again the same problem:

For now, Cyborg uploaded new version of EUAE with his inbuild GUI for it. That caused many problems:

1. That EUAE binary, lockup system for second time (previous are not)
2. That EUAE are different, binary are changed, and that is _NOT_ original EUAE binary from Richard.
3. That EUAE binary have inbuild GUI, some ppls not want it.

So, the problem is, that os4depot erase old archive (by Richard), by new one, by Gyborg. That suck , and that is must be _not_. I can understand when replaces done from the same author, but when one author, overwrite work of other , by DIFFERENT stuff, just with the same name - that is 100% crap and unlogical.

Orgin, plz, fix it somehow. As i see you do everything in manual mode , so plz, why not add archives with the names of authors or anything else, but not like its now - anyone can owerwrite work of anyone.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: Replaces, part 2 (orgin, plz read)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Normally nothing would simply be overwritten.

I remember back when i took over ScummVM porting i had to take care o the two other porters and only after they decided to drop their stuff it was finally deleted.

I think the problem in this case lies in the unreachability of Richard Drummond.

Anyway, every updated version should also bring bug fixes and more stability and more features, so a new version should always be preferred

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
This is the only thing I'm going to say about this issue and I will not comment on it any more no matter how many times it's being brought up again:

In this case the new uploader requested that it would replace the old file. The old file was not protected by a passphrase. This defaults to that the file is replaced. If the new upload does not work for whatever reason then the blame lies at the new uploader for supplying broken software and/or the original uploader for not protecting the original file will a passphrase, and _NOT_ OS4Depot. OS4Depot does not and never will be responsible for the contents of the archives stored on os4depot as can be read in the site Disclaimer that has been there since os4depot was created.

If you want to protect you file from being overwritten, use a passphrase and state a valid email address for contact in case someone else requests to replace it, or in case you forget the passphrase.

Protected files are replaced only if:

- A valid passphrase is given for the new upload
- The original uploader approves it (Common)
- The email of the original uploader is invalid or no reply is received after several attempts of communication (Rarely)

A few other points:

- OS4Depot will never ever be a place where a software is being store several times with version names in their filename.

- OS4Depot will never ever be a place that people can use as a personal upload area for their 'hey I ported it too' ports. This will just be confusing to end users and waste space on the servers.

- OS4Depot will accept, though very rarely, to store more than one version of some software if the contents are significantly different to merit it. In this case the different version will have a _prefix added to the filename. But this will never happen to the whim of individual uploaders requesting it in the comment field, see previous point, the os4depot staff will always be the deciding part.

- If you need a place to store 'hey I ported it too' software that does not provide anything new that would merit a duplicate archive on os4depot then the suggested action is to create your own download page for it.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Check pm plz (just to avoid that crap in public).

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To Post