Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: DosBox on SAM?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e
I've just checked your files (thanks !), I saw that colors are trashed and I have to confirm the problems on another big-endian machine (Linux on MacMini).
Both files require an emulation at the maximum speed because it is even slow at 3000 cycles.
They are good example to check optimizations, thanks ! I would be happy to see them with clean effects and sound at full speed (what is not the case with core speed "auto" on DosBox 0.73).

@Slayer
If diffs are not released, it is because programmers do their changes and forget exactly where they are. It is additionnal work (unarchiving the original source tree, making diff, ...). Not hard but some work though. And maybe developers don't think other people will try themselves.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@corto

Your optimized 0.72 version runs very well here. The 10% speed gain makes every emulated game much better. Nice work!

However there is a common problem in some games which the original 0.72 port doesn't have. The pointer trashes the background on moving.
That can be seen in example in the following games:
- Operation Stealth
- Stonekeep
- X-Wing
- Fatty Bear

(dl location sent by PM)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@corto
yeah, these apps are good for tests, becouse for first it's use gfx/sound code very much => just possible to detect how optimiation works. Other think, that its done for Protected Mode (if i remember right, boch by using of old "p-mode" extender which was very usable for ppls who want to put it to exe by watcom c, withoout boring with Dos4gw.

I think 'colors' problem are easy to fix (just swap bytes beetween, it's happenes i think becouse protected mode are a bit 'long' by bytes, so becouse of it some differences).

But optimization to make all of this works fast/clear for me looks pretty hard, but, still, i think on 1ghz it can works at full speed (if i remember right, i emjoy by this mags on my old i386 dx2x 66 with 4or 8mb of memory only).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi DosBox users, I've just uploaded DosBox 0.73, it is available on os4depot now. Might be better. I've applied my patches and now sources are stored in my svn repository to keep track on changes.

With some games (like Cannon Fodder, Lost Vikings, Kyrandia) I tried on my AmigaOne (G3 at 800 MHz), the used CPU power is between 40 and 45 % at 3000 cycles with 1 frame skipped.

Slayer : The source diff is included.

kas1e : I have the colour problem both on Linux and OS4, even with DosBox 0.73. It does not seem to be easy to fix. I should add a new bug in the DosBox bugzilla.
About examples you provided me, x-ray now can play almost smoothly with 7000 cycles.

lazi : There is no more problem of pointer with Fatty Bear.

Just tell me your opinions and explain what is wrong.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@corto

Yeah! Speed up solutions are good. Too bad that with wrong colors not so easy to fix .. Will try this version later :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I can also report that the new version 0.73a is much more faster (i own a sam@667) then the old one. It is possible to play the Shareware Version of Cannon Fodder in Window with a CPU Load of about 50%. Also Jazz Jackrabbit is now much faster and very well playable.

Thanks for your work.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@corto

Quote:

corto wrote:
Hi DosBox users, I've just uploaded DosBox 0.73, it is available on os4depot now. Might be better. I've applied my patches and now sources are stored in my svn repository to keep track on changes.

With some games (like Cannon Fodder, Lost Vikings, Kyrandia) I tried on my AmigaOne (G3 at 800 MHz), the used CPU power is between 40 and 45 % at 3000 cycles with 1 frame skipped.

Slayer : The source diff is included.

Great work! and I'm also very chuffed that you included a diff file!

Makes me want to get it going! I'll see if time allows end of the week!

Many thanks and Nice work especially in a small time frame!

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)