Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Soooo many problems with Roadshow
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

Sorry to hear about your Micro (IDE), but perhaps you could try one more thing for me.
Although it might not seem logical...
If you are using the radeon tooltype:
INTERRUPT=Yes
Could you try your same modem and a1serial.device 52.4 with setting at:
INTERRUPT=No
or commented out
(INTERRUPT=Yes)

(just trying to be sure your machine mimics mine as close as humanely possible)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@number6
Unfortunately, I didn't seem to get my SAM order in soon enough so I'm still waiting. In the mean time, I noticed a new SAM Flex user on the OS4 ML who doesn't seem to have a positive impression of the Roadshow dialer. He is also a dialup user and I am going to ask him for some details. A number of people who previously used Miami on a classic Amiga don't seem as happy with Roadshow. I felt the same way when I first switched to OS4/?A1.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

Quote:
In the mean time, I noticed a new SAM Flex user on the OS4 ML who doesn't seem to have a positive impression of the Roadshow dialer. He is also a dialup user and I am going to ask him for some details.

Just a thought. Do you use irc here?
I would be happy to invite both of you and any other dialup users to one of my channels and we might be able to make some headway. Let me know through PM if you prefer.

Quote:
A number of people who previously used Miami on a classic Amiga don't seem as happy with Roadshow.

Yes. Again this goes back to Roadshow being more optimised for high speed, given the priority at the time.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
Thank you for continuing to assist on the testing. It's pretty much down to you and me now. Frankly, it may be helpful to continue to have you test on SAM, whilst I compare vs the Micro.

I tried commenting out the "INTERRUPT=Yes" tooltype in the Radeon monitor driver and sending a message with a 1MB attachment using YAM and v52.4 a1serial.device. The result was the same as before. YAM sends about 40-50KB of the message at a very high rate and then stops. Eventually YAM times out and throws up an error message. At that point my Internet connection ceases to function. The modem connection light is still lit but nothing works. IBrowse can't get a response from DNS servers, Jabberwocky can't connect and the Dialer GUI is frozen.

With the newer serial device, YAM shows message uploading in 5-6KB increments very rapidly until it stalls. With the older serial device YAM shows message uploading in 1-2KB increments at a slightly slower rate. With the old serial device YAM shows download speeds of 3.2KB/s and upload speeds of 2.4KB/s. I'll have to try the new device again to see if I can get it running long enough to give me a speed reading in YAM.

Do you know if the ?A1 a1serial.device will work on a SAM? I would assume that the port addresses would at least be different which would mean it probably won't work. If all else fails, I can PM you for an address and send you one of my modems. I'd like to get the SAM before I proceed though.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@number6
I decided to start my old Registered Miami (not DX) to check the settings I used with it. To my surprise, it actually connected when I accidently selected the "Online" button in the main window! I could never get Miami to work with prerelease OS4 and had given up on it. Unfortunately, YAM won't work with it so I can test the newer OS4 serial device with YAM and Miami. What I've discovered so far, is that programs that open bsdsocket.library with a minimum version of "0" seem to work and those that request a higher version (2, 3 etc.) don't. IBrowse, Jabberwocky & AmiFTP work while OWB & YAM don't.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

Quote:
I tried commenting out the "INTERRUPT=Yes" tooltype in the Radeon monitor driver and sending a message with a 1MB attachment using YAM and v52.4 a1serial.device. The result was the same as before. YAM sends about 40-50KB of the message at a very high rate and then stops.

Thanks again for double checking that for me.

Quote:
Do you know if the ?A1 a1serial.device will work on a SAM?

Offhand, I wouldn't know.
Best bet is to compare version #s with a SAM user or wait for a dev to respond.

Quote:
If all else fails, I can PM you for an address and send you one of my modems.

Yes. Let's hold off on that for now.

Quote:
I decided to start my old Registered Miami (not DX) to check the settings I used with it. To my surprise, it actually connected when I accidently selected the "Online" button in the main window! I could never get Miami to work with prerelease OS4 and had given up on it.

Hmm...Miami V2.1p (registered) worked straight away for me with every OS4 update I tested it with. So...there is still something different about your setup imo, or it should have always worked for you as well.

We had some discussion about bsdsocket.library previously on AW. I agree that YAM doesn't like it. @Chip somewhat confirmed something different going on with YAM, as opposed to IBrowse, which does work with the library.

Also, I would not look at any issue you see in terms of a visual effect like a "progress bar". We tested this in entirely different ways through shell only. I can confirm the jerkiness (stall and continue), but I maintain that I do not have the failure on upload that you do. Part of testing involved timing a lot of uploads. Honestly I saw different timing results, but not a total failure.

Again...something is different about your system which is not readily apparent to me. Have you tried moving everything related to Miami safely to another place and rebooting using only Roadshow? Or did you already test all of this at one time on a clean OS4.x partition?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@number6
Quote:

Hmm...Miami V2.1p (registered) worked straight away for me with every OS4 update I tested it with. So...there is still something different about your setup imo, or it should have always worked for you as well.

No. I think it was my stupidity. I just checked my OS4 prerelease backups and I did not have "C:AddNetInterface" commented out in the prereleases. I don't think Miami works if the Roadshow "bsdsocket" library is already in memory. Once I got the Roadshow Dialer working well, I never tried Miami again (if fact I deleted it but have it on a backup disk). I now have the "C:AddNetInterface" commented out and Miami works.

I downloaded the OS3 version of YAM and replaced my OS4 binary with the OS3 version. The OS3 version of YAM 2.5 seems to work fine with Miami. I reinstalled the newer version of a1serial.device (v52.4) and tried sending a message with a large attachment. The result was essentially the same as with Roadshow Dialer; YAM stopped after the first 24 bytes sent and then timed out. It seemed to stop even sooner with Miami than with Roadshow.

There is a new SAMep user on the OS4 ML who is also using dialup and has similar problems. His problems seem even worse than mine when he uses one of his 56k modems but his 28.8 modem is working for him. I think he is having some problems with the Dialer GUI acting up but I need to find out if that is only with the 56k modems or with the 28.8 also.

The above info seems to confirm that there is a serial/modem problem when using 56k modems. Since I don't have a 28.8 modem, I'm getting a little worried about my SAM Flex order. I'm not sure if I should cancel it until this issue is worked out or just take a chance.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

Quote:
The above info seems to confirm that there is a serial/modem problem when using 56k modems. Since I don't have a 28.8 modem,(snip)

I can link you to threads on AW all day that show nothing but problems with 56k modems since day 1.
My 2 modems, as you well know, were -not- 56k.
Nevertheless, I'm not well versed enough to know the specific reasons why.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@daveyw

Today I took the modem from my A1200 (a Dynalink 56K, which has always worked reliably), and connected it to the A1. I also used the same init string from Miami.

I connected to my ISP, fired up IBrowse and went to Yahoo. All seemed well. However, I tried to open my email on Yahoo and the connection was taking forever. Switched back to Workbench and to my surprise the AppIcon for my ISP had disappeared. RoadShow had simply quit.

My modem was still connected (a nice feature of the Dynalink, it can maintain a connection regardless of the computer's state), so I tried to go back online. Miami has no problems with this, but Roadshow was completely baffled and I had to switch the modem off to get back online.

I am back online now, and so far the connection is steady. I think it's a little slower than the US Robotics modem.

I am really confused with regards to the a1serial.device. Some people seem to be saying, use the older version. Others say use the new version. I am using 52.1, which is also confusing, as I was under the impression that I had OS 4.0 final? (Workbench is 52.1, Kickstart is 52.8).

BTW, wireless broadband is not available in my area either.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@daveyw
Quote:
I am really confused with regards to the a1serial.device. Some people seem to be saying, use the older version. Others say use the new version. I am using 52.1, which is also confusing, as I was under the impression that I had OS 4.0 final? (Workbench is 52.1, Kickstart is 52.8).

I just checked my backup of OS4 Final and the a1serial.device that came with it is v52.1. On OS 4.1 I have v52.4 but both of those versions fail when I try to send a large file with YAM or FTP. Since you now have a 56k modem working on your system, try sending a message (to yourself if necessary) with a 100k+ attachment. I would be really surprised if it works for you. On the other hand the problems that some of us encounter may only be with ?A1 and not an A1.

I noticed problems with iconified Dialer back in OS4 prereleases and have never iconified it since. If left uniconified, it seems fairly stable with the right serial device. As far as reconnecting after a reboot, that worked in the earlier OS4 prereleases by adding the setting "nullmodem=yes" to a copy of your configuration file that you could use after a reboot. I think it stopped working in OS4 Final but it could have been earlier.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

xenic wrote:
I just checked my backup of OS4 Final and the a1serial.device that came with it is v52.1. On OS 4.1 I have v52.4 but both of those versions fail when I try to send a large file with YAM or FTP. Since you now have a 56k modem working on your system, try sending a message (to yourself if necessary) with a 100k+ attachment. I would be really surprised if it works for you. On the other hand the problems that some of us encounter may only be with ?A1 and not an A1.

One of the things that got my goat just before starting this thread was an inability to upload. I have been using FFMpeg to create clips and wanted to share one with a friend. The A1 simply refused to upload a 2MB file to RapidShare. In the end I gave up and my A1200 did it in about 15 - 20 minutes.

Well, I just tried it again, using the same modem I had used on the A1200. Same result - the dialer just decides to quit after a while.

Who the hell writes a TCP/IP stack that can't upload to the internet? My A1 just took a quantum leap towards being chucked into a dumpster. :(

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@daveyw

Quote:

daveyw wrote:
Who the hell writes a TCP/IP stack that can't upload to the internet? My A1 just took a quantum leap towards being chucked into a dumpster. :(

No-one writes a networking stack that can't upload. The vast majority of us can upload and download gigabytes of data with no problem, so stop blaming the TCP/IP stack.

I understand how frustrating it is when things aren't working properly, and nothing you do helps, but statements yours above just annoys everyone who might want to help.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@daveyw

Quote:

daveyw wrote:
@daveyw
BTW, wireless broadband is not available in my area either.

Strange, whoosh claimed to service your area. Of course, that's no guarantee.

Hans

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans
Quote:
No-one writes a networking stack that can't upload. The vast majority of us can upload and download gigabytes of data with no problem, so stop blaming the TCP/IP stack.

I understand how frustrating it is when things aren't working properly, and nothing you do helps, but statements yours above just annoys everyone who might want to help.

O.K. Maybe he should have said: "Who the hell writes a TCP/IP stack that can't upload through a serial dialup connection to the internet?"

Whether he blames the stack, the dialer or serial device the bottom line is the same; he can't upload. His statement didn't annoy me. What's annoying is reporting this kind of problem ever since the release of OS4 Final and getting no fixes. Now we have a new generation of hardware and the problem persists. I've been polite about the problem for over 6 months and want some action to fix it!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

xenic wrote:
@Hans
O.K. Maybe he should have said: "Who the hell writes a TCP/IP stack that can't upload through a serial dialup connection to the internet?"

You'd think that after all the discussion about the serial device being the problem that people might twig to the fact that the TCP/IP stack isn't at fault.

Quote:
Whether he blames the stack, the dialer or serial device the bottom line is the same; he can't upload. His statement didn't annoy me. What's annoying is reporting this kind of problem ever since the release of OS4 Final and getting no fixes. Now we have a new generation of hardware and the problem persists. I've been polite about the problem for over 6 months and want some action to fix it!

The sad fact is that the OS developers are stretched thinly across a pretty huge number of tasks. It's not like there's someone who is working solely on the serial device. I can understand the frustration, but it's just one of so many other tasks vying for attention.

Hans

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans
Quote:
The sad fact is that the OS developers are stretched thinly across a pretty huge number of tasks. It's not like there's someone who is working solely on the serial device. I can understand the frustration, but it's just one of so many other tasks vying for attention.

Even sadder is the fact that people are buying expensive computers that don't work as expected or advertised. The OS developers weren't stretched to thin to add some minor updates to OS4 to sell more copies. A transparent window seems pretty meaningless when you can't send an email with an attached picture to a friend. Memory swapping on a system that never even uses all the available memory seems a little useless when you can't upload a 100k file to your WEB site.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

xenic wrote:
@Hans
Even sadder is the fact that people are buying expensive computers that don't work as expected or advertised. The OS developers weren't stretched to thin to add some minor updates to OS4 to sell more copies. A transparent window seems pretty meaningless when you can't send an email with an attached picture to a friend. Memory swapping on a system that never even uses all the available memory seems a little useless when you can't upload a 100k file to your WEB site.

Basically you're not happy with the priorities of OS4 developers. Well tough; if they developed things in the order that you wanted, then someone else would stand up and curse at them. There are bugs in SDL that people have known about for years, but no-one's had the time to fix yet. Heck, I've had people telling me that I should be working on improving the Radeon drivers instead of my RadeonHD project, AND I'M NOT EVEN AN OS4 DEVELOPER!

There are plenty of people who are happy with their "expensive computers" and do think that they work "as advertised." The vast majority of people can send an email with an attached picture to a friend and upload megabytes to any website of their chosing. The vast majority of people would probably prefer it if OS4 developers continue to enhance the OS rather than fix bugs in components that they hardly ever use.

I really do hope that the bugs in the serial device get fixed, but there are a lot more people that they need to cater to than just you.

Hans

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@daveyw

Looking at this thread on aw.net, it might be an idea to lower the serial port speed below 56kbps. I suspect that the handshaking isn't working as it should, and that flooding the modem with more data to upload than it can manage is what's causing the trouble. If so, keeping the bit-rate below what the modem can manage should prevent this from happening (most of the time).

Hans

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans
Don't take my comments personally. Unfortunately, it's usually "the squeaky wheel that gets the grease" and I've decided not to remain quiet any longer.

I can resolve my serial issues on my ?A1 by reverting to a1serial.device v51.11 which I believe was included with OS4pre4. However, my SAM Flex system just shipped and I may have to try your advice of lowering the speed for that system. I won't know for sure until the system arrives.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@daveyw
Well, I didn't get my SAM order cancelled and received it today. I'm worse off than you because I can't get online at all using the same modem that works on my ?A1. The modem establishes a connection but Dialer can't login to my ISP. It just times out with an error message about "Resource allocation failure" and timing out. I'd almost be happy if the problem were just with uploading large messages. Even worse, the system is accessing the modem during UBoot initialization and the modem starts sending tones. If I wait until the system is booted to turn on the modem, I get a system freeze (lockup) about 1 time in 3.

There appears to be a huge problem with serial usage on the SAM Flex/OS4. Does anyone have any solutions? Are there any SAM Flex updates on Hyperion's WEB site? I don't want to register OS4.1 unless I'm going to keep this system.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »