Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

emeck, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Good utilities to have?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Now my SAM seems to be up and running I'm looking at useful apps to install to get the OS functionality/behaviour where I want it.

I'm scanned the forums here and on Amigaworld for postings, as well as have a brief hunt through the massive Aminet archive and OS4depot.

I've been wary of downloading and installing stuff especially as I value stability above all else at the moment and didn't want to crash my system with software that wasn't compatible.

This is the sort of functioanlity I would love to have on my OS, are there stable OS4.1/SAM compatible utilities that would meet these?

- Clicking on a window doesn’t automatically bring it to the front. I therefore find myself having to close down windows and move them around (haven’t learnt the Amiga way of doing things yet!). Is there a utility to automatically bring a window to the front when I click on it?

- Start menu. I hate having to scramble around in folders to launch apps and while I know I can add things to the docky, I am stuck in my ways and miss the start menu functionality found in Windoze. Therefore is push4dock any good and stable on OS4.1? It hasn’t been updated since 2007 according to OS4depot.net which I find a concern.

- Animated cursors for when the system is waiting for something. I find the static pocket watch cursor somewhat "plain".

Sold up all my Amiga gear, not only an Amigan via Amiga Forever!
Go to top
Re: Good utilities to have?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tommo1975

Quote:
- Clicking on a window doesn?t automatically bring it to the front.

There's ClickToFront commodity in Utilities/Commodities drawer on your sys: partition. Drag it to the WBStartup.

Quote:
push4dock

Have you checked the authors own home page http://masonicons.de/. But I don't know if it's the same version.

Quote:
Start menu

There's a lot of different kinds of them. Try to search with "start menu" on os4depot and Aminet. Others can help if there's more on peoples own websites. F.ex. QuickStarter is like Kickoff in KDE

Quote:
Animated cursors

I haven't seen anything on OS4.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@tommo1975

Quote:
Clicking on a window doesn?t automatically bring it to the front. I therefore find myself having to close down windows and move them around (haven?t learnt the Amiga way of doing things yet!). Is there a utility to automatically bring a window to the front when I click on it?

ClickToFront, found in SYS:Utilities/Commodities, will do just this.

Move it into SYS:WBStartUp to activate it every time you boot.
Also check the tooltypes (Icon=>Information), as I think by default you may need to hold a key down as well. Whilst you're there make sure "Wait until finished" is not ticked if you put it in WBStartup.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
ClickToFront

I had that title in my head and I hunted high and low for it online, yet couldn't find it! All along it was sat there on my system!!!!

Sold up all my Amiga gear, not only an Amigan via Amiga Forever!
Go to top

Register To Post