Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

Yodaphone, MickJT, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: MAME any progress on a new version?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Fab

Quote:
A better solution for SAM would be to port 0.3x to 0.6x MAME versions that were about 30% faster.

I remember using 0.56b on my PC for playing Marvel Super Heroes. If it can do all the Capcom games well on my Sam, I'd be ______ happy. In fact, I'd want to put money towards a bounty for that.

Mod Edit - Swearing

Edited by Jurassicc on 2009/1/21 16:16:11
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@samo79

Quote:

Maybe because some have G4 processors and can take advantage of recent release ?

Yes but...

G4 users(optimistics) maybe 10/15% of all installed OS4.1?
It dont seems to me that advantaging low ppl was right... because that disadvantages many others(especially the MANY SAM users...)...

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jahc

Quote:

jahc wrote:
@Fab

Quote:
A better solution for SAM would be to port 0.3x to 0.6x MAME versions that were about 30% faster.

I remember using 0.56b on my PC for playing Marvel Super Heroes. If it can do all the Capcom games well on my Sam, I'd be ______ happy. In fact, I'd want to put money towards a bounty for that.

Bloody Oath, Count me in too, takes only 2 Kiwis to get things rolling!

Since my experience with paypal hasn't been the greatest I'd transfer you the cash jahc and you fix it up

I really only want to play the simple games too, like Defender... lol

I could clock that without losing a ship, even if hitting a million and getting free ships was a bug

lets not let this thread die people, lets get it done!

Mod Edit - Quoted Swearing

Edited by Jurassicc on 2009/1/21 16:17:05
Edited by Jurassicc on 2009/1/21 16:17:23
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

btw, lets not fight amongst ourselves, I too remember what it was like always fighting for an 060 version, hell, I still own 6 different types of 060 boards LOL

but the main thing is to get it going, an earlier version is probably going to be slightly easier to do anyway? If anyone is prepared to take on the project let them decide where they want to start

whee!

maybe I should look at getting that 800mhz machine of ours fixed Jahc? then I can enjoy both worlds?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Some issues in my life reduced my available time considerably.
Still, I am working on Mame OS4 since a while again. Originally wanted to finish a testable
version till xmas '08, but this was defeated by getting ill. At the point nearly all the files
compiled already, though, so hopefully it should not be much still required, and I plan
to continue on it the next days.

Mame OS 4 actually included AmigaInput support BTW, just the version released to the public was
linked with a non-AmigaInput linker library.

BTW: Anyone willing to help with WarpSNES? I have a nearly compiling version there, too, but
some issues with MUI (the latest version got a MUI UI added by a different programmer, and I
never got that compiling on my own system, and as I outlined above, my time is these days
more limited then it used to be in the earlier times...).

Steffen Haeuser/MagicSN
tirionareonwe@gmail.com

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MagicSN

Quote:

MagicSN wrote:
Still, I am working on Mame OS4 since a while again. Originally wanted to finish a testable
version till xmas '08, but this was defeated by getting ill. At the point nearly all the files
compiled already, though, so hopefully it should not be much still required, and I plan

This is great news Steffen! Welcome to Amigans btw! Do hope whatever was affecting you has dried up and gone way south now.

Quote:

Mame OS 4 actually included AmigaInput support BTW, just the version released to the public was
linked with a non-AmigaInput linker library.

again, good news

be waiting to see how things go in the next month, thanks for your time and interest! Let us know if we could inspire you in some ways if need be

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MagicSN

Quote:

MagicSN wrote:

Steffen Haeuser/MagicSN
tirionareonwe@gmail.com

I hope you are feeling better now.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MagicSN

Which version are you compiling? And is it a SDL compile or using native Amiga calls now?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@RacerX

Thanks, yes I do. It was just a really bad cold.

About the question on SDL/native: I am compiling the SDL version. And asides from maybe some little advantages on blitting I highly doubt there is much difference. This is more an "idiological" debate than one effecting much of a speedup. Which version of Mame is compiling is much more important in to the effect on speed. The whole "SDL is so slow" originates from a time when the SDL implementation on Amiga was not very good (Actually the *implementation* of SDL used has more influence than *if* SDL is used). Internally SDL for Amiga also uses native calls, so it is not as if this would be some Emulation-of-native-call or anything like that

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

Well about inspiring... well not that, but I could *really* use a programmer experienced with MUI to help with WarpSNES.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MagicSN

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I just wish there was a magic cure for my XMAME gaming, because my Sam is too slow at the moment for my capcom beat'em ups. I think there's room for improvement in both the OS and the compiler.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jahc

Hmmm, that is weird. Such games were running nicely on my 800 MHz G4 AmigaOne. What sort of CPU does your Board use?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MagicSN

Sam440ep MoBo use a 667 Mhz CPU as new Flex system

http://www.sam440.com/eng/sam440ep-flex.html

P.S.
Happy to see you here

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MagicSN

Wow, you've never heard of the Sam440ep?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MagicSN

Quote:

MagicSN wrote:
@jahc

Hmmm, that is weird. Such games were running nicely on my 800 MHz G4 AmigaOne. What sort of CPU does your Board use?

samo79 is correct, it's a 666.66mhz PPC board but jahc board is over a year old and some of ours only rolled off the production line like 2 months ago

don't get us wrong though, we are very keen to go to a new MB catering to 1.5 - 2 gig processors, unfortunately its not up to us whether they are made or not

I'm not too worried about the speed of the new MAME port, I only want to play the very old games like Defender and Scrambler etc and the joystick support is a better aspect for me at the moment - course eventually ones focus can change...

I just unrarred a collection of MAME roms I had stored for quite awhile and it's like over 5000 roms... gee

I hope someone with MUI experience comes forward, seems to be there should be more than a handful accomplish MUI individuals

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jahc

Quote:

jahc wrote:
@MagicSN

Wow, you've never heard of the Sam440ep?

I didn't want to say it

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Slayer

I didnt mean it in an insulting way, but its just interesting that one of the oldschool os4 guys wasnt really aware of the current situation.. maybe he was and just missed the word "Sam" in my post. It's great that hes still around though. Sometimes guys go AWOL for years and you dont really know if they're still in the scene.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jahc

understood jahc, I was trying to be cute, making a dry joke

anyway, I must go to bed!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

I am aware of the SAM. It is just that it has always been done in the Amiga Community to overclock and things like that. And usually there are different options for CPU Clock for boards (that is something where I am really not sure of the Sam, I admit, how far there are other options to CPU speed).

So I could not be sure which frequency the system is clocked with unless I asked.

One thing I can answer you though, for Emulation two things
are mainly important: Memory access speed and CPU speed.
While in case of memory access after what I heard the Sam
should be superior to the A1, in terms of CPU speed obviously it isn't. And this plays a big role on Mame sadly.

As to MUI: Well, there is an external MUI UI since quitre a while which works together with my Mame port.

@all: Nice to see some of the same people like in the "good old times" are still on at Amiga forums

Steffen

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MagicSN

I remember that i can play classic games on the blizzard ppc and warp os on the amiga os 3.9.. I means games like rastan bubble bobble and so on.. with the current version of mame there should be somethng wrong because the frame rate is the same that you get if you run xmame ( sdl ) on the amiga os 4.0 classic on the amiga 1200.. that' s weird... :-|

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »