Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 144

Hypex, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

A1XE G3/800 vcore voltage
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Following on from this thread on AW.net.

I have not received any reply to my questions about vcore voltage.

1. What does the vcore actually do?

2. What about reducing vcore voltage to 1.39v (on.off.off.off)?

3. Would this slow my system down in anyway?

I have the occasional system freeze, as does Damien (Hypex). I wonder if undervolting would eliminate them completley. I have googled vcore voltage, but I cannot find answers to the above questions

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Re: A1XE G3/800 vcore voltage
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

The vcore is the actual voltage that the motherboard supplies to your processor.

My experiences from when I upgraded my G3 to a G4 a few years ago suggest that too low a vcore will cause crashes.

It will not slow down your system, just stop it working all together if it is wrong. Be warned though, too high a vcore can trash your cpu!!!

You could read through this

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... hp?topic_id=6180&forum=14

thread over at AW - for some useful info.

Go to top
Re: A1XE G3/800 vcore voltage
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

Vcore is short for Voltage in the Core of the CPU.

Setting it too low will cause the machine to become unstable and crash or lock up randomly. Often during boot I have noticed... the CPU will run very cool though.

If you set the Vcore too high you will overheat your CPU and typically get lockups randomly. If you set it way too high it will fry and never work again.

When you overclock a CPU you typically also need to raise the Vcore to compensate for the shorter (and hence smaller) clock/data signals in the CPU.
Problem is that the both a high Vcore and a high clock frequency raises the temperature (and power requirement) of the CPU, and combined the increase is multiplied. That is why it is so easy to burn a CPU when overclocking unless you have massive cooling and made sure it has a good contact with the CPU.

You could try undervolting and see if it helps. If the CPU runs hot, lower the Vcore might be the cure.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top

Register To Post