Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
70 user(s) are online (29 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 70

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

detecting network
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I'm looking for ways to detect:

1. whether the network is up (a way that is more elegant than parsing "c:shownetstatus" output)

2. if the network has a connectivity with the outside world (tcpip stack can be up but the connectivity is inside LAN only, I want to detect this scenario to prevent unecessary connection that would fail).

The programming language is AREXX, but network access is done using python scripts.
A brief google-ing on detecting network inside python didn't reveal anything useful

Does anyone has some ideas?

TIA,
Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Re: detecting network
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
2. if the network has a connectivity with the outside world (tcpip stack can be up but the connectivity is inside LAN only, I want to detect this scenario to prevent unecessary connection that would fail).

I don't think there is a generic solution for that other than to connect to a site on the internet and see if the connection fails (which is what you explicitly didn't want).

You would have to connect to the router and ask for its online/offline status. This is a router-specific solution and you cannot support all known and unknown routers in the world.

Bye,
Thomas

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@thomas

I would just try and resolve example.com

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@thomas

Quote:

You would have to connect to the router and ask for its online/offline status. This is a router-specific solution and you cannot support all known and unknown routers in the world.

Not good. I want a generic solution for program that goes public. If I don't, some python script that participate in the program throw out ugly stuff.
Maybe I'll settle to "python *>NIL:" or somthing

Thanks anyway
Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xeron

Quote:

I would just try and resolve example.com

I'll see if it is quiet enough and doesn't implies any unreasonable delays.

Thanks.
Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Meanwhile "python *>NIL:" takes care of the ugly err messages when network is down or local only.
Still will have to produce a more clean solution...

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top

Register To Post