Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 131

walkero, davec555, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

charsets in OS4
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi all,

Is there a way to override the charset of a certain application not to be the one that is defined in locale settings?
The "charset" env var on my system is ISO-8859-8, so the latin character with accents that are in the range of Hebrew chars of that charset are obviously displayed in hebrew.
I have an app I would like to display text using the latin accented chars. The app uses Reaction gui
I tried to "setenv charset ISO-8859-1" and run it form that shell with no effect

Thanks,
Jack

Edited by Jack on 2008/5/13 22:14:20
Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Re: charsets in OS4
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Jack

Yes, ideally the app author needs to do it (in fact, the app author may have to do it)

It's a simple WINDOW_CharSet tag.

The alternative is to specify the charset on the end of the font name, eg Topaz_ISO-8859-1

If you are not able to change the font and aren't the app author, you're stuck unless you can get the author to add the charset tag and some configuration to allow the user to specify it.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

Right on the spot! Hardcoding the "DejaVu Sans_ISO-8859-1.font" into the app did the trick.
Huge thanks!

Will add option to select a font later...

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Jack

Just a note here, it's not generally a good idea to force character sets on people, they may have their own setting they want to use. Make the default their locale settings, with the option to change.

Simon

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rigo

Certainly. It's temporary (will add an option to setup this before the release).
Now related question: is there a way to query the list of allavailable charsets?
I'm using AREXX btw.

BTW: just found "c:charsetconvert", might proove useful

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top

Register To Post