Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 123

rwo, walkero, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

80GB IDE disk in an A4000
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Assuming I keep the initial partition below 4Gb, is there any reason why an 80GB hard disk will not work on an A4000's internal IDE port with OS 3.9?

I'm not looking forward to slow format times.....

Go to top
Re: 80GB IDE disk in an A4000
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@slcroucher

Quote:
Assuming I keep the initial partition below 4Gb, is there any reason why an 80GB hard disk will not work on an A4000's internal IDE port with OS 3.9?

It should work perfectly.

Quote:
I'm not looking forward to slow format times.....

Use quick format. Full format does nothing else but produce hot air.

Bye,
Thomas

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@slcroucher

Quote:
Yes, bugs in the LBA48 support (required for HDs > 128 GB only, but it's used on all HDs which support it which is very likely the case for a 80 GB drive) of the AmigaOS 3.9 BB2 scsi.device. With some HDs it works, but with some HDs you can't boot at all.
AFAIK LBA48 support was only added in the BoingBag2 version of scsi.device and wasn't in the BoingBag1 and OS 3.9 (without BoingBags) versions yet. If you have a drive which doesn't work with the BB2 version you can use the BB1 version of scsi.device instead.
There are tools on Aminet to extract the individual parts of the "DEVS:AmigaOS ROM Update", and tools which can load resident modules. To use the BB1 version you have to extract it from the BB1 "AmigaOS ROM Update", load it with a tool like loadresident and use 'SetPatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device" QUIET' in your startup-sequence to disable loading the newer BB2 version.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@slcroucher

If you didn't by the drive yet, you could try to gather data in forums about working and non-working models.
I have WD JB80 one connected to A1200's ide with buffered interface splitter and idefix software.
Without idefix software I can't access the cdrom and partitions over 4GB.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all

Thanks everyone.

I don't plan to boot from the drive as my Fastlane is much quicker, but will use it to store backups.

Go to top

Register To Post