Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

MickJT, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 12 »
Re: OS4.1 bugs
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:

...found the copy command to [be] causing the problem.

Surely you realise that if the Copy program crashed, the system wouldn't even boot, let alone run?

It must be some other problem.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw

Did you even read the crash long in comment 57?

http://crashlog.os4depot.net/index.php?function=view&crashlogid=98

No copy command only triggers the DSI error, it did not crash, and YES i can ignore the DSI error and system will boot...

try puting a copy command in startup-sequence and see what I'm saying, no need argue about details.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw

If I copy workbench.library from AmigaOS4.0:Libs/ to AmigaOS4.1:Libs/

Then there is no more crashes!

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

It's silly to copy anything to ENV: in S-S. DOS does it for you after the ENV: assign is generated (by the Kickstart module env-handler.kmod). Since you don't know when that happens, it's dangerous to make any reference to ENV: until S-S has completed.

Anyway, why do it twice? What can you possibly gain?

cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw

I gain personal settings for individual users, for thiis its better if "Iprefs" only copied files when loadwb needed the files, thats after user is selected.

but because Iprefs copies the files over at once, I most reload prefs, my multi profile system, needs to reroute envarc: to user profile directory,
I was planing more integration whit AmigaOS, to see what was possible to do, user profiles and security options.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Just a small update to the pattern matching issue: The pattern matching code was actually exchanged by a developer who isn't in the OS4 team anymore.. it was in the early days of OS4, probably during conversion from ASM DOS to C source..

Anyway, that code is a hell of a bitch (a lot of recursion and other nice gems) which isn't easy to fix. I had a look myself and headache started right after the first minutes starring at the code.. :-/

I have it on my ToDo list and if noone beats me to it, i'll try to fix it at some point, but i'll have to have a *lot* of free time then only to understand the code(design) to know where i have to fix something..

So, sorry to say: don't hold your breath..

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:
No not until now, if you remove "env-handler.komd" then system will not boot, its needed, you can't remove it I tried and it was no fun!

If you remove the "env-handler.kmod" you must take care of ENV: yourself like in old s-s < OS4, eg:

expand the MakeDir Line:
C:MakeDir RAM:T RAM:Clipboards RAM:ENV

Add an Assign:
C:Assign ENV: RAM:ENV

And then copy all of the ENVARC:
C:Copy >NIL: ENVARC: RAM:ENV ALL NOREQ

All before IPrefs get called. This should work.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Cyborg

OK, thanks.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Gazelle

what your suggesting does not work, any way do I need to remove the env-handler?

can't even boot whit out startup-sequence when env-hander is removed form kicklayout, env-hander is required in AmigaOS4.1

Edited by LiveForIt on 2008/11/30 11:54:03
Edited by LiveForIt on 2008/11/30 11:54:35
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@LiveForIt

You could leave it in kicklayout, but put:

assign env: dismount
makedir ram:env
assign env: ram:env

into startup-sequence. That might work.

Chris

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Maybe some of the other kickstartmodules are allready accessing ENV:

If you start without s-s is there something in ENV: ?

To expand Chris suggestion:
C:MakeDir RAM:ENV
C
:Copy >NILENVRAM:ENV ALL NOREQ
C
:Assign ENVdismount
C
:Assign ENVRAM:ENV
C
:Copy >NILENVARCRAM:ENV ALL NOREQ NOREPLACE

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Here's another bug which I can't explain very well relating to application dockies.

If an application has a docky, clicking on that docky icon on Amidock sends a APPLIBMT_ToFront to the application. If the application has notified application.library that it is hidden (through APPATTR_Hidden), a click on the docky icon still only sends a APPLIBMT_ToFront message.

APPLIBMT_ToFront, according to the documentation, tells the app to do a ScreenToFront/WindowToFront/ActivateWindow. Obviously if the app is hidden, this does nothing except confuse the user.

Amidock should be sending APPLIBMT_Unhide in this situation.

Chris

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Hm, while i'm somewhat seeing your point I could argue that the application knows it's state and has to unhide itself if needed :)

But I'll have a look at the docs and see if a fix is really needed.

Edit: can you point me to an application with which I can reproduce your findings please? And a small step by step guide would be nice too. Thanks.

AmigaOS 4 core developer

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

I'm not really sure if we must separate APPLIBMT_ToFront and APPLIBMT_Unhide. If I want to see the window of an app I don't care which state it was in when I click an icon to open it again. IMHO.

@Back to OS4.1 bugs
*1st: I think I got it the second time since installing AOS4.1. My machine booted and loaded Kickstart normally and it showed the AOS4.1 splash screen. Then when it closed that splash screen my monitor went into stand by mode and keyboard reset didn't work anymore. Fortunately this is quite rare. After doing hard reset everything worked fine again. I don't know if this is problem of hardware or software. And I couldn't get any debug info.

*2nd: One of my apps uses datebrowser.gadget. Sometimes it works just fine. But sometimes it can't open the datebrowser.gadget. I really haven't found any reason for that.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Cyborg
That's a bit tricky as all apps I tested treat APPLIBMT_ToFront the same as APPLIBMT_Unhide due to this bug.

I fixed Wet (so the two commands acted as per the autodocs) and Amidock does behave exactly as described. I've since unfixed it, but I can fix it again and send this version to you?

@TSK
That's not the point. The fact is there are two commands APPLIBMT_ToFront and APPLIBMT_Unhide. APPLIBMT_ToFront tells the app to do a WindowToFront() etc. APPLIBMT_Unhide tells the app to unhide itself. If an app receives APPLIBMT_ToFront, it shouldn't be unhiding (according to the docs - and also logically if _ToFront did also mean the app to unhide itself, there would be no need for _Unhide), yet Amidock itself is sending APPLIBMT_ToFront even to apps which are hidden.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Yes, please "fix" Wet to behave exactly like the autodocs suggest and send me that version .. i hadn't yet had the time to look at it, but i promise i will during this week or so (after i got Wet from you to be able to reproduce and test).

Thanks.

AmigaOS 4 core developer

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Cyborg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cdyoung/tmp/wet_amidock.lha

You'll need the full package as well if you don't have it installed (just extract it somewhere, extract the debug archive over the top and run from there)

Enable the docky in the menu.

Chris

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Ok, thanks. Already fixed it. AmiDock will now send APPLIBMT_Unhide before APPLIBMT_ToFront on left-click on an AppDocky (or also if the AppDockies hotkey is used) if the application is hidden.

But i don't know when/if there will be an update with that AmiDock version included, so you should keep it "unfixed" until then.

AmigaOS 4 core developer

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@thread

maybe onother bug.

TCP/IP grims here very often soon after booting

http://crashlog.os4depot.net/cl104
http://crashlog.os4depot.net/cl105

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I got a OS4.1 on SAM 533MHz and posted these on amigaworld.net in case they look familiar:

1) Fonts prefs when scaling smaller, window gets corrupted (preview has dark grey background instead of picture). See corrupted graphics here: http://www.amigans.net/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=198&cid=5

2) Hard to reproduce consisetnly but seems to mostly coming from the same pointer. Intuition.library crash logs:

http://crashlog.os4depot.net/?function=view&crashlogid=87

http://crashlog.os4depot.net/?function=view&crashlogid=88

Instruction pointer 0x015B48C4 belongs to module "intuition.library.kmod" (HUNK/Kickstart)

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 12 »