Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
161 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 159

zerec, nbache, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: struct Bitmap to file ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
FWIW, (on OS4) saving IFF/ILBM pictures via datatypes works fine, whatever the picture depth.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Kas1e,
is the sample that I link here is OK for you ?

http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum ... t_id=78899#forumpost78899

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@zzd10h
yep , all is fine, will make a enhancement req today for those datatypes

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Great,
Thank.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@zzd10h
Done with BZs for savers:

#8375 - bmp
#8376 - gif
#8377 - jpeg
#8378 - png
#8379 - tiff

I assume its only ones graphics datatypes which come with os4 by default and which need savers (right ?)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Thank you Kas1e to have open these enhancments requests.

By hoping for the future ;)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

I assume its only ones graphics datatypes which come with os4 by default and which need savers (right ?)

well all could do with savers, but only the os ones can be updated as part of the os,

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
All this makes me think about a more general datatypes-related problem.

Let's suppose I write a FLAC Datatype (ie. a subclass of the Sound Datatype) in which I also implement the DTM_WRITE method. As FLAC encoding is a CPU-intensive task, performing the method will naturally take some time (in fact, several minutes on a Sam440). Is the datatypes system ready/designed for this? Will the user be informed about the progress of the task somehow, or will the datatype keep doing work silently, leaving the user puzzled about what's happening?

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@trixie.

No idea, but nothing stops the Flac datatype from putting up an (optional) progress requester.

The calling application should at least set the application busy etc etc.

I can't see how it would be any different from using a libflac based saver.

If datatypes were to get subclass savers then they probably need class specific tags to set format specific options.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:

nothing stops the Flac datatype from putting up an (optional) progress requester.

Considering the fact that things like the actual text rendering (in the case of Text Datatype subclasses) or sound playback (in the case of Sound Datatype subclasses) are done at the superclass level, I'd recommend implementing the progress requester at the superclass level as well - for the sake of user interface consistency. If different datatypes implement each their own way of indicating progress (some will use Gadtools, some ReAction...), we end up in an unpredictable system that will only confuse the user.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@zzd10h

Just to make you know, one of BZ already assigned !

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Good news.
Courage for the developper(s)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all

If we assume that we have savers in datatypes, how can i load let's say png file, and save it in bmp file ?

I.e. what logic of program should be ? Open both datatypes, then open .png file and then SaveDTObject but not with DTWM_RAW but with what ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Woaah there! How did I miss this discussion? (probably the irrelevant thread topic - Ed)

I've discussed this before:
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=195

You will see from that thread that I have identified quite a number of problems that go beyond merely supporting DTM_WRITE:
1. You can't DTM_WRITE to an in-memory location
2. There is no way of identifying if a DataType supports DTM_WRITE without trying it
3. If you want to convert between formats you have to create a blank DataType object in memory (DTST_RAM) using the destination subclass (a lot of DataTypes don't support this either).
4. The DTA_BaseName tag of NewDTObject doesn't work (this is a datatypes.library bug, unless I'm doing something wrong)

A DataType subclass needs to support creation of a new blank DataType object in memory (DTST_RAM) and DTM_WRITE in order to be able to convert from one format to another. The calling application also needs to know that DTM_WRITE is supported (which there isn't any way of doing AFAIK), otherwise you end up with unexpected IFF data where it has been passed to the superclass.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

kas1e wrote:
If we assume that we have savers in datatypes, how can i load let's say png file, and save it in bmp file ?

It's in the thread link I posted in my previous post, but basically you have to open the PNG as normal, create a blank BMP DTObject and copy all the data over, then save the BMP. There's no "quick" way of doing it (but normally you'd be poking in-application data in, rather than directly converting from another DTObject, so it's not really a problem)

btw, my WebP DataType has DTM_WRITE support if anybody needs one for testing (it's the only picture datatype I know of that has DTM_WRITE support that actually works).

Go to top
Re: struct Bitmap to file? - with DataTypes
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris
Quote:

4. The DTA_BaseName tag of NewDTObject doesn't work (this is a datatypes.library bug, unless I'm doing something wrong)

If you can provide simple test case which i can attach to BZ, then i can make a BZ for.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I'm pretty sure it's just:

Object *dto = NewDTObjectA(DTA_SourceType, DTST_RAM, DTA_BaseName, "ilbm");

Returns NULL rather than creating an object. Can't remember now, nobody seemed interested when I was complaining about DTM_WRITE two years ago.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Object *dto = NewDTObjectA(DTA_SourceType, DTST_RAM, DTA_BaseName, "ilbm");

I expect that it's a typo but you missed the TAG_DONE!

Object *dto = NewDTObjectA(DTA_SourceType, DTST_RAM, DTA_BaseName, "ilbm",TAG_DONE);

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

I don't know if there is still any problems with NewDTObject() and DTA_BaseName but I just made it possible to create empty objects with DTST_RAM using following datatype classes:
ilbm.datatype
png.datatype
bmp.datatype
jpeg.datatype

This was not possible before.

The code I used to test uses destdtn = ObtainDataTypeA(DTST_RAM, basename, NULL); and DTA_DataType tag so it's a bit different from your code.

If you send me some code using your method I can test and ensure that it also works correctly.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:

I expect that it's a typo but you missed the TAG_DONE!

Object *dto = NewDTObjectA(DTA_SourceType, DTST_RAM, DTA_BaseName, "ilbm",TAG_DONE);

To be really correct that needs to be:

Object *dto = NewDTObject(NULL, DTA_SourceType, DTST_RAM, DTA_BaseName, "ilbm",TAG_DONE);

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »