Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Quake 2 and 3 on OS4.1
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Gebrochen

How much RAM does your SAM have? I've not run quake3 but I understand it has high ram requirements....

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Gebrochen

I have been playing Quake III on SamFlex800 (and R7500 unfortunately) recently. I?ve noticed a big slowdowns caused by the sound processing. The more sounds have to be played, the more slowdowns I get. It is playable for me only with sound turned off.
(and if I?m not wrong: It will not get any better until AOS4 introduce a new graphics sub-system.)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Radov

weird as Quake 3 flies on my Sam flex @800 with full sound blaring...I just installed ioquake3 with no special modifications at all

edit:
actually correction..I had to reinstall the quickfix for 4.1 as at first I was getting the 'green' screen..after I installed the quickfix the 2nd time all was well

Edited by 328gts on 2009/12/16 16:51:40
mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Gebrochen
Quake 2 & 3 work fine for *me* on my Sam440, but maybe OS4.1 beta bugs cause problems with Quake 3 on someon else's Sam? Thats why I thought Update 1 might help.

@TheDaddy
Also check you have latest MiniGL version, as the one that came with OS4.1 was quite buggy.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@jackepc

Quote:

This is exactly what I did and I have a sam440ep 667mhz with 512meg and it runs smoothly no problems.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@magic

As it is sound that seems to be the slow down factor on Quake 3 here on my 667Mhz sam440ep (non-flex) it could be that changing the settings for the AHI sound channel used may help.

Or maybe it is a resolution issue, what resolution are you running the graphics for quake 3 at ?

Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1 + Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
WinUae 2.3.2, OS 3.9, BB2, Catweasel MkIV
Amiga 1200, BlizzardPPC 060/200 with SCSI, mediatorSX, Voodoo3, pci lan
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Dwyloc

My resolution is set quite high i have a 22" widscreen monitor this however, does not effect quake 3. I am currently not at my amiga atm, but Ill boot her up when I get home today to help you guys out.

Bare in mind, the quake 3 port is a dirty port so things may still go a stray, on certain sams.

My thoughts are with the AHI settings but dont dig too deep with that just yet wait till I get home tonight and Ill help you out.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@magic
I found performance to be quite dependant on resolution, so I suggest seeing how it runs at 800x600. There were also certain other settings which had a big effect, can't remember now, but think I did post them in the past on AW.net.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH
Well as I was trying at 640x480 in 16-bit I did not expect to see any slow down as my sam440ep is a higher spec than the PC I had when quake 3 came out and also has a better graphics card

I am also hopeful that with the next update when I do longer need to run a debug kernel on my sam to stop the graphics corruption and lockup bug that will help speed as well.

Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1 + Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
WinUae 2.3.2, OS 3.9, BB2, Catweasel MkIV
Amiga 1200, BlizzardPPC 060/200 with SCSI, mediatorSX, Voodoo3, pci lan
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Stack size didn't help to remove the freezing but switching to Smokin' Guns did! I've played it enough now to be able to say it works much better than Urban Terror (no freeze yet). And the framerate is at least somewhat better.

You can get this open source delight here: http://www.smokin-guns.net/

It's a zip file that includes various x86 executables but ioquake3 works well for OS4.0 and 4.1.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)