Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
64 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 14 »
Re: qemu emualtion of AmigaONE XE
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro

No one wanted to mess around with UBOOT on physical hardware just in case computer got bricked. I know lots of talks about it, if remember it HJF who worked on it, he is now working for Trever in ExecSG team, back then there some I think UBOOT had special command built in to protect against piracy. The old FW only accept keyboard in PS2 port, its annoying. As you need a keyboard that support PS2 adapter, also that UBOOT also refuse initialize a screen when the backup battery is flat. Scarry stuff. These are two main issues. Getting a newer UBOOT working on it be great.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joergQuote:
joerg wrote:@Maijestro
]Complete source code for the U-Boot image files for the AmigaOne SE and XE should have been available, but not for the µA1

Ok thanks for the information, I did not know that there were such differences in the firmware.

Quote:

The AmigaOne emulation in QEmu is getting more important, I guess nearly all Pegasos2 AmigaOS 4.1 licences are sold out already and only AmigaOne licences are still available, not only do a lot of former AmigaOne users with broken hardware still have one, but the AmigaOS 4.1 AmigaOne licences sold to AmigaOS dealers should have been at least 50 times as much as Pegasos2 ones as well.

I was involved at the time when I started to test and publish this emulation together with Balaton. 2 weeks later when there was the news on Amiga-News and I and Balaton published the way to install AmigaOs4.1 under Qemu.

At Vesalia there were no Pegasos 2 AmigaOs4.1 licenses in the meantime, but I'm not sure how many they had in stock.

We could contact the store directly and ask when there were the most AmigaOs4.1 Pegasos 2 licenses this year, that would be really interesting, but I also think there were some that were sold.

It's similar to the Classic version used with WinUae ,and there must have been dozens sold ,so there are digital purchases of the Classic version. They should do the same for the Pegasos 2 and also for the AmigaOne version.

Finally it's not only about Qemu but also about getting AmigaOs4.1, I'm addicted to this OS and it runs great under Qemu even if it's limited. I also won't stop showing people how it works and what great things you can do with AmigaOs4.1.

We have AmigaOs4.1 and Qemu is open source so we can influence things ourselves as Amiga community.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt
Quote:
back then there some I think UBOOT had special command built in to protect against piracy.
Except for some strange Hyperion press releases and comments on troll forums like MooBunny and AmigaWorld that never was the case.
Just good for a laugh every time and everyone who knew the truth never corrected such nonsense, because it was so funny 🤣

@Maijestro
Quote:
It will be similar to the Classic version used with WinUae and there must have been dozens sold, so there are digital purchases of the Classic version.
Do you have a proof for that? If yes I'll sue Hyperion for selling such additional pirate copies of my AmigaOS 4.x software.

Quote:
They should do the same for the Pegasos 2 and also for the AmigaOne version.
If Hyperion wants to get destroyed once and for all by law suits, among others from me, they'll definitely should do that

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg

I expected that sense slb2 is on the RDB sector so should be so hard to find it. Boota command should be relatively simple.

(It be nice to be able to boot from USB as well, who uses a CDROM this days anyway.)

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt
Quote:
I expected that sense slb2 is on the RDB sector so should be so hard to find it. Boota command should be relatively simple.
The source for the boota cmd is, and always was, in the official Denx U-Boot repository.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joergQuote:
joerg wrote:@LiveForIt
Quote:
It will be similar to the Classic version used with WinUae and there must have been dozens sold, so there are digital purchases of the Classic version.
Do you have a proof for that? If yes I'll sue Hyperion for selling such additional pirate copies of my AmigaOS 4.x software.

Perhaps I have expressed myself a little misleadingly, from the Pegasos 2 and AmigaOne AmigaOs4.1 editions there should also be digital sales without the CD with packaging. Because that is possible with the Classic version of AmigaOs4.1.

Go to top
Re: Pegasos2 with RadeonHD/RX via bridge
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
In post #52 @Hypex explained everything.

A very coolly explained installation of Linux on AmigaOne :
AmigaOne Debian Jessie Linux Instal

@all

I am waiting for AOS4 for A1XE/SE/MA1 and decided to make a disk with linux debian.
I didn't want to install the system, I moved partitions from linux Pegasos and sub-mine the kernel from pegaaos to A1.
The new disk is compatible with :

"It must be on a standard Amiga RDB partitioned drive as setup by MediaToolbox.
It must exist on the same HD as the SLB is installed.
It must be a partition after your AmigaOS4 Workbench boot partition.
It must be first Linux partition on disk. "

I GRUB not installed ? What's the matter, I didn't install it?
I can install it but it won't do anything because I don't know what this UBOOT is looking for....
The boot structure of the disk can not be disturbed by the Linux tool, so I do not know what is going on.

Thank you for the information

https://ibb.co/HDq4rs1

edit:
I forgot to mention that I omit the A1 Linux Installer.iso from the /boot directory.
boot.img linked under new kernel
menu.lst added
ub21b ???? don't know what it is

Edited by smarkusg on 2023/9/30 21:45:30
Edited by smarkusg on 2023/9/30 21:49:34
Edited by smarkusg on 2023/9/30 22:07:53
Edited by smarkusg on 2023/10/1 6:13:25
Edited by smarkusg on 2023/10/1 6:28:46
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@smarkusg[quote]smarkusg wrote:In post #52 @Hypex explained everything.

A very coolly explained installation of Linux on AmigaOne :
AmigaOne Debian Jessie Linux Instal

Did I understand you correctly, you want to install Linux PPC under AmigaOneXe?

The installation looks very complex and complicated, I'm not sure yet if I want to try it at all

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Maijestro

It's not that scary, but like everything it takes some time to understand it

As you know in May I checked @balaton if the SDL1 problem under Pegasos emulation also occurs under Linux.
It does not occur. Now I want to check if the sound problem under AmigaONE XE emulation Qemu also occurs under Linux (unless someone has already checked this and I have not read something ;-O ).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@smarkusgQuote:
smarkusg wrote:@Maijestro

It's not that scary, but like everything it takes some time to understand it

As you know in May I checked @balaton if the SDL1 problem under Pegasos emulation also occurs under Linux.
It does not occur. Now I want to check if the sound problem under AmigaONE XE emulation Qemu also occurs under Linux (unless someone has already checked this and I have not read something ;-O ).

It's good that you also want to test it under Linux and I hope you get some help.

I found a developer who is very familiar with the es1370 (sb128) part under Qemu, he wrote this sound emulation (driver) himself and he is looking at the problem. Coincidentally he also speaks my language and is also familiar with AmigaOs as he has adapted Aros PPC somewhat for Qemu. The sound problem will be solved soon. For this I bought him an AmigaOneXe license and he can now test things himself.

Balaton told me today that he still has problems with finding the U-Boot source for AmigaOne XE, this is currently the biggest problem and makes it even more difficult for people who want to use this emulation to install it.

Of course for testing it would be good if you could get Linux running under AmigaOnXe and give additional feedback.

@all

Has anyone successfully installed Linux under AmigaOneXe and can share their experiences here please ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@smarkusg
When testing with Linux look for logs about missing or unexpected interrupts or something similar as I think the problem might be something related to multiple interrupts happening at once and maybe not clearing them correctly or not emulating priorities the way AmigaOS may depend on it. Linux is probably more resilient in that and should still work if something does not happen exactly as on real hardware but may log some warnings that could hint at the issue. Until we understand what is happening and what's different from real hardware I don't know what to fix.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@balaton
The installation did not generate the kernel correctly. For the time being I am able to boot Linux in emergency mode. There was a problem with the DMA ata. I'm looking for the cause if it's not some kernel module.
The install boots correctly but it's an install - it doesn't have everything loaded.
I'm testing on the off-the-shelf 3 and 4 series kernels that were available. I will do a thorough check when I bring Linux back to life.
I will also prepare a ready image to run if someone needs it for testing.

https://streamable.com/lv4djq

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@smarkusgQuote:
smarkusg wrote:@balaton
The installation did not generate the kernel correctly. For the time being I am able to boot Linux in emergency mode. There was a problem with the DMA ata. I'm looking for the cause if it's not some kernel module.
The install boots correctly but it's an install - it doesn't have everything loaded.
I'm testing on the off-the-shelf 3 and 4 series kernels that were available. I will do a thorough check when I bring Linux back to life.
I will also prepare a ready image to run if someone needs it for testing.

Have you already looked here, this thread seems to be relatively new (2023) and also deals with the topic DMA with Linux. Maybe it helps you to find a solution.

https://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4927

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@smarkusg
The error during boot in your video says:
Failed to mount /boot/a1boot
Dependency failed for Local File Systems
and after that it starts stopping already started services.
So check /etc/fstab and see what it tries to mount on /boot/a1boot. It may need some boot partition you're missing.

Real VIA chips (and/or ArticiaS) had problems with DMA so it's likely firmware and OSes meant to run on those machines have DMA disabled but PIO mode should also work and emulated via device should not have problem even with DMA enabled but I don't know what error you got.

Also, you can use romfile="" instead of "romfile=" which looks strange but apparently works too. Even better you can pass an actual BIOS ROM for a Rage128Pro and then you may be able to get picture even in firmware and don't need an additional VGA device. A ROM may be found in the vgamuseum link on my qmiga.osdn.io ati-vga development page but I haven't tested if that works so just something you can try if you want to add more problems.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@balaton

@Balaton
"/boot/a1boot" in this directory are the "conf" settings. Linux doesn't need them much after booting. I didn't even pay attention to it yesterday.
I will check - thanks for the information.

I'll check the addition of the "ROM" when the system is working properly. If it doesn't help to change the parameters of the modules/drivers with then I will send those errors that occur with DMA

@Maijestro
Thanks for sending the link

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

After countless attempts to install AmigaOne Debian Jessie Linux I failed.

How did I proceed:

According to the AmigaOne Linux install guide, after the AmigaOs4.1 install HD you should create the boot partition (25-50MB) for linux and mark it as bootbar, format it with ext2 and mount point set to "/boot/a1boot" which I did. slbv2 is also installed on the HD.

After that I created the root partition and formatted it with ext4 and finally created the swap partition. The installation of Linux went without problems, also U-Boot recognizes the Linux installation, but does not find the boot partition.

Or must the Linux boot partition be created before the AmigaOs4.1 Boot Intall HD as the first partition on the harddisk?

Resized Image

Resized Image

@Balaton

Is a Linux installation useful at all to be able to improve the AmigaOne emulation, which we couldn't do the same with trace and debug under AmigaOs4.1?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:
According to the AmigaOne Linux install guide, after the AmigaOs4.1 install HD you should create the boot partition (25-50MB) for linux and mark it as bootbar, format it with ext2 and mount point set to "/boot/a1boot" which I did.
Are you sure that's correct? Seems to be strange to use /boot/a1boot instead of /boot for the mount point of the boot partition.
When I last used Linux on an AmigaOne, more than 10 years ago, the path the Linux kernel image(s) were something like /boot/kernel-x.y.z.img and not /boot/a1boot/kernel-x.y.z.img.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Maijestro

You have done everything right. The installer probably has a bug.
It was the same for me and for "sailorMH" from the link you provided.

"Booting image at 00500000 ...
Bad Magic Number
Failed loading kernel (or kickstart) image file(s)"

Means you can't load the kernel file/wrong path.
Most likely you also have a non-generated image/kernel like mine.

The linux boot partition is supposed to be the first of the linux partitions, but not the first partition on the system.
I will write you in detail when I am at the computer - I will put it in this message.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joergQuote:
joerg wrote:@Maijestro
Are you sure that's correct? Seems to be strange to use /boot/a1boot instead of /boot for the mount point of the boot partition.
When I last used Linux on an AmigaOne, more than 10 years ago, the path the Linux kernel image(s) were something like /boot/kernel-x.y.z.img and not /boot/a1boot/kernel-x.y.z.img.

I followed the readme from https://sourceforge.net/projects/amiga ... x/files/debian-installer/ where it is described like this:

Boot:
If 
you have a preexisting boot partition the SLB already picks up with a menu then the installer will locate this and use itIn this case make sure it is the only partition with an a1boot.conf menu fileIt will also pick up and use any volume labelled as "a1boot".  You won't need to do any configuration for the boot partition in this case. And can skip the following section.

If you need to set up a boot partition do as follows. Cursor to your desired boot partition and select it. Use as Ext2. Mount point set to "/boot/a1boot" option in list for static files of boot loader. If you like to you can label it as "a1boot". Mark it for formatting for a fresh boot partition. This will then format it to the right format as understood by UBoot.

You can also just mount a preexisting boot partition at mount point set to "/boot/a1boot". You don'
t even need to type that inIt's all there in the menu for the picking. :-)

Maybe I made a mistake somewhere, but I tried it countless times. Also the exact kernel path is not described, maybe things have simplified a bit in time. The Linux Dist. is from 2018.

I have also set up the partitions directly under AmigaOs4.1 with the help of MediaTool Box. Strange...

Resized Image

Edited by Maijestro on 2023/10/2 18:07:38
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 14 »