Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Settings problems
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I've noticed the following problem with Netsurf's "Initial download location" setting (Preferences/Advanced). After changing the download path (confirmed by "Save" or "Use"), the string gadget displays the new setting but the downloader still uses the previous path. Restart of the browser is required for the new setting to take effect. Surely this shouldn't be necessary for such a trivial thing?

One more. I'm not sure that you handle the "Use" button settings confirmation correctly. Normally - I think this is the desired behaviour - "Use" keeps the setting in ENV: until system reboot, and a subsequent instance of the program runs with that setting. This is not the case here: a "Use"d setting is lost after the browser is quit and restarted.

I'm on the latest test build, #2247.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Re: Settings problems
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@trixie

1. Yes, it should probably change the download location immediately. Will fix.

2. I agree with this for prefs editors, but for something changed during program execution I'm not sure it should persist across instances. I'd welcome further input as to the correct approach here.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

The UI Style Guide (section on Application Preference Editors) says that settings changes confirmed via the Use button "will be lost if the system is reset" - not when the application quits:

http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/UI_Style ... references#Editor_Gadgets

It would be IMHO inconsistent if OS prefs editors behaved differently from app prefs editors.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@trixie

Well, an application session is different to an OS session.

That document contradicts itself. Although in the bit you mentioned it does indeed say to save to ENVARC:app.prefs, and use to ENV:app.prefs, further up it says that applications should save their prefs to PROGDIR:app.prefs, and only to ENV(ARC):app.prefs if they can't save to PROGDIR:! It also says that applications should try loading from PROGDIR: before trying ENV(ARC): (which is odd in itself, as the inability to save to PROGDIR: was suggested as being a network admin enforced decision, so you're losing the ability to override the network admin's settings...)

So, still clarification needed.

edit I've just noticed the bit you were referring to is for application standalone prefs editors - which this isn't - and there's no mention of save/use/cancel for built-in settings, only the "save to the application's dir first" thing.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

You're right, a word from higher places is needed. The Style Guide is not very clear, and existing apps don't handle this in a uniform way. Some reset Use'd settings when the program quits, while others keep the settings throughout the OS session. Funny I haven't noticed that before.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@chris

I've now taken this issue to the Hyperion forum:

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2666

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris
Quote:
2. I agree with this for prefs editors, but for something changed during program execution I'm not sure it should persist across instances. I'd welcome further input as to the correct approach here.

Personally, I hate it when I make temporary changes to a programs prefs and can't return to the original settings when I restart the program. MUI has global settings that allow you to choose if certain settings are: saved, remembered or used and forgotten in a new session. In the case of Netsurf you could please everyone by having buttons like: SAVE, USE, USE&REMEMBER. It's just a suggestion.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top

Register To Post