Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
36 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 36

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Amiga North Thames' (ANT's) Xmas meeting this Sunday
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
A reminder that the monthly Amiga North Thames meeting is this coming Sunday (8th December).

This one is (of course) our Christmas meeting, so it should be a little bit different to usual...

If anyone wants to order food, they are advised to turn up ON TIME (that's 1pm), as we can't wait for too long before ordering.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: Amiga North Thames' (ANT's) Xmas meeting this Sunday
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Do any MorphOS users attend ANT meets? or are there any people that would be able to repair an iBook?

Just wanted to ask before I make the three and a half hour journey.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@1mouse
We are happy to have MorphOS & AROS users visit, and we used to have one regular MorphOS user (before he moved), but for whatever reason we don't get any MorphOS users regularly attending these days. (I assume none live nearby.) We did have a MorphOS guy on a table in the Amiga area of the last computer show we attended.

Most of us are AmigaOS4 & Classic Amiga users, with a small amount of 'dabbling' with MorphOS on occasions. People do also sometimes bring Rasberry Pies or retro emulator stuff.

We do have one guy heavily into Macs, but I don't know if he'd be able to help repairing an iBook. I'll ask him & try to get an answer here before Sunday.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Thank you for asking your MAC guy, I have 1 12" iBook and a 14" iBook, I beleive it would be possible to get both working however I just have the know how to repair them.

Once again, in advance, thanks for getting in touch with your MAC guy.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@1mouse
To save time: What is wrong with your iBook? Does it start-up at all? What does it do? Did it ever work? etc

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Not sure about the 12" iBook but as for the 14" iBook I made the mistake of taking it apart in hopes of installing a larger HD.

Was able to change the HD and before putting it back together booted it up and installed MorphOS and it worked fine.

I then reassembled the machine and it boots as I can hear the HD spinning up and the caps lock key works so the keyboard is OK however I just get a blank screen.

I think I may of disconnected/snapped or just generally damaged the screen connector, I still believe the screen itself is OK.

Wanted to be able to use Hollywood Designer as I'm creating something similar to PADD but the other 12" iBook I have it installed on it a bit limiting due to screen real estate and would like the 14" iBook working.

I have Hollywood installed on my Sam but wanted a "laptop" so MorphOS was my first choice.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@1mouse
Unfortunately he says he can't help. (He tried it once himself, but gave up!)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Not to worry, but thanks anyway

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@1mouse

I found this from a mac website ( I am also a mac user):

First things that come to mind are just the basics:

Reset pram: hold down cmd-option-P-R keys just after starting up. Keep holding these down. You will hear the startup chime again. Keep holding until you hear the chime three times.

This has worked for me in similar situations, but I don't know why because it shouldn't work: hold down cmd-option-a-v at startup. It's an old key command for use with AV monitors, but desperation makes odd fixes look more appealing...

Reset the PMU: see this page for directions for your exact model of iBook: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431?viewlocale=en_US

Try starting up with the CD that came with the computer: Put the cd in and hold down the C key when you start/restart.

Look through Apple's support pages if you haven't already. You might find some answers there.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@magic

Unfortunately it's not just a boot issue, both 12" & 14" are in bit and need reassembly.

Go to top

Register To Post