Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Behaviour of NetSurf installer
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I post a thread here as NetSurf bugtracker seems down

I have a feature request regarding the installer script.
Well, when you install NetSurf using the installer it copy all the libs in SOBjs but all the other files (bin, icon, readme ecc) will be copied without creating a proper folder, so if you install NetSurf say for example in a main dir called "software" (with many other programs inside) it spread files anywhere !

So how about creating a new folder called for example "NetSurf-2.5" and put all files installed there ?

(except SOBjs libs off course)

Go to top
Re: Behaviour of NetSurf installer
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@samo79

It does state "a drawer will not be created".

It makes it easier to do updates. If it creates a drawer NetSurf-2.5, then when 2.6 is released, it will be doing a new install in a drawer NetSurf-2.6 (which isn't necessarily what you want). Conversely, if it creates a drawer "NetSurf" over all versions, that makes it more difficult for the user to do a clean install rather than update of the previous.

I suppose relying on the user to read the Installer prompts is too much to ask

If it is broken on a brand new Novice install then that is a different matter and needs to be fixed, but I'm reasonably sure even in Novice mode it will ask for the path on first install (but not on updates).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

Yep agree, called folder-2.5 or xx--2.6 would not be the correct way, mine was only an example indeed, when I don't agree completely with you is about the selectable path

We can choice that's true, but I always need to create a folder manually, (if i set expert user in install) conversely in novice mode the installer don't give any choice and spread files anywhere, IMHO naturally

Meantime i've found a bug, drag a txt/readme file into NetSurf, better if it is a long text file so you can scroll the bar, then try to select a part of this text with the mouse, here text will disappear completely, then it "come back" if you resize the window or update the page with F5

Sorry to post here but your bugtracker is down !

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@samo79

Quote:
conversely in novice mode the installer don't give any choice and spread files anywhere, IMHO naturally

That's wrong, I'll fix it. On new installs it should be asking, same as in Expert/Average mode, or at least creating a NetSurf dir and shoving all the files there.

Quote:
Meantime i've found a bug, drag a txt/readme file into NetSurf, better if it is a long text file so you can scroll the bar, then try to select a part of this text with the mouse, here text will disappear completely, then it "come back" if you resize the window or update the page with F5

I need to fix text file rendering anyway, there's something wrong with it as it is much slower than it should be.

Quote:
Sorry to post here but your bugtracker is down !

I know. I even created a custom 404 message which says it is down.

Unfortunately I've lost the old database due to incompetence and the will to set the bugtracker up again is rather low at the moment. I have to keep adding stuff to my mental list, and it will suffer stack overflow soon, which might force me to do something about it.

At least I have an excuse not to deal with the bugs which were in the old database.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
That's wrong, I'll fix it. On new installs it should be asking, same as in Expert/Average mode, or at least creating a NetSurf dir and shoving all the files there.

Yes is exactly what I need, i vote for a folder

Quote:
I need to fix text file rendering anyway, there's something wrong with it as it is much slower than it should be.

Ya this is annoying too, hopefully will be fixed for 2.6

Quote:
I have to keep adding stuff to my mental list, and it will suffer stack overflow soon, which might force me to do something about it.

Which one is under stack overlow, your mind or your tracker ?

Quote:
At least I have an excuse not to deal with the bugs which were in the old database.

Hehehe

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@samo79

Fixed, first time novice installs now create a directory in the root of whatever volume Installer decided to pick (the one with the most space). If the textclip: bug shows up, it will default to sys:utilities.

Update and average/expert installs are unchanged. Updates always point to the path NetSurf was last run from, this plus novice mode is key for AmiUpdate updates. New installs will need a drawer created, which is the sort of control expert users normally like

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

Excellent job Chris

Now maybe we need an icon for this new folder, I will ask Mason when he is ready for the next icon project

BTW, did you receive my latest translation ? I sent you yesterday night

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@samo79

Quote:
Now maybe we need an icon for this new folder, I will ask Mason when he is ready for the next icon project

He already has done one... well, actually, it's a generic Internet one so maybe a proper one will be nice.

Quote:
BTW, did you receive my latest translation ? I sent you yesterday night

Yes, but it needs updating again

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
He already has done one... well, actually, it's a generic Internet one so maybe a proper one will be nice.

Ok when Mason come here with a proposal I will ask him for a new NS icon folder

Quote:
Yes, but it needs updating again

Ouch, later I send you an update

Go to top

Register To Post