Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: OWB v3.25 very quick
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ssolie Quote:
Maybe if you finally donate you'll get your questions answered.

Don't worry, I do expect to donate, since testing so far seems to indicate that the crash-on-closing-tab-while-another-was-loading is gone, plus I still get a kick every time OWB starts almost instantly

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

Hmm, my fresh install of OWB still doesn't start any faster than the previous version... It starts instantly if I run it from the Ram disk, but installing it on a JXFS partition does away with that extra speed. Also tried changing the theme but they don't make any difference...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic

Quote:
Granted, switching to an SFS partiton really speeds up the load process but if the directory gets large enough loading may slow down in SFS too.
Sure, if you install 100000 images and use too few buffers on the partition. Using directories with fewer files in them wouldn't be faster on SFS partitions, it would only speed it up on FFS partitions.

What's slow with AISS style images is the usage of 3 separate files for each image, using a single file would be much faster, no matter if they are all in TBImages: or you only have a few images in a local directory like in case of OWB. But since OWB only uses very few images the speed difference very likely wouldn't be noticable at all, it would only help for programs using much more images no other program uses (if several programs use the same images they aren't reloaded, intuition.library caches them).

Quote:
If you really want to speed up image loading try moving the images that OWB uses into an OWB directory and HEX edit OWB to look in that directory instead of TBIMAGES.
That doesn't make any sense since OWB only tries to load AISS images (TBImages:) if there are no local ones (PROGDIR:Resources/ToolbarImages/), and since several versions all toolbar images OWB uses are included in the archives.

Only if you start "Install AISS" OWB uses the AISS images since that script simply deletes the local images. You can use "Install OS4" to restore the default local images.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)