Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

BasiliskII development?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
While migrating my classic os3.9 stuff from my 68k system to my sam i realized that there is no fusion/shapeshifter here. i found a BasiliskII (debug) binary at os4depot. this indeed works somehow with my shapeshifter/fusion hardfile i generated (macos7.5).
After all the os4depot version of BasiliskII seem to be more a "proof of concept" than a ready to use binary - at least for non-coders like me.
is somewhere out there a smoother, more streamlined version of this
nice piece of software for os4.x? or is this something we (i) might through up a bounty for, so one of our talented coders make a useable version of the 68k mac emulation? (yes, i don't need a PPC mac emulation )

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Re: BasiliskII development?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cha05e90

I have test it on my Sam .. and seems to slow :(

Best Regards
Pedro Henriques

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cha05e90

And native OS4 video mode is not the same MacOS video mode, resulting slowdown converting from one format to the other, 16bit is faster then 32bit, use that and reduce screen resolution.

Use a real hard disk partition!

Do not use Hard files they are where slow!

MacOS CPU 680x0 is emulated under AmigaOS4.

BasiliskII uses the same CPU emulation as EUAE.

Contribute to the EUAE JIT bounty and you might get what you?re asking for.

Quote:
After all the os4depot version of BasiliskII seem to be more a "proof of concept" than a ready to use binary - at least for non-coders like me.

Please explain, what do you think should be done differently?

I have tried fixing the network support but it remains broken; I?m not going to invest more time on this, I have already wasted a lot of time and archived nothing.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2009/6/15 16:36:54
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@virge

Sam440ep might be too slow for CPU intensive tasks.

Sam440 flex 800 mhz might be able to emulate a 68020 30mhz cpu,

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:

LiveForIt wrote:
@cha05e90

And native OS4 video mode is not the same MacOS video mode, resulting slowdown converting from one format to the other, 16bit is faster then 32bit, use that and reduce screen resolution.

Use a real hard disk partition!

Do not use Hard files they are where slow!

This is planned - I use real partitions on my 68k machines also...and yes, i use 16bit modes (but not reduced in resolution...maybe i should give it a try).

Quote:

MacOS CPU 680x0 is emulated under AmigaOS4.

BasiliskII uses the same CPU emulation as EUAE.

Contribute the EUAE JIT munity and you might get what you?re asking for.

Oh, this is interesting - i don't need a full UAE for amiga emulation, but if this JIT may be usable for BasiliskII - thats a good hint!

Quote:

Quote:

Please explain, what do you think should be done differently?

I'm no coder (not in the amiga world at least ) - using a binary with debugging output, an at least "unoptimized" screen output and a partly working network made me think of something like "work in progress".

Quote:

I have tried fixing the network support but it remains broken; I?m not going to invest more time on this, I have already wasted a lot of time and archived nothing.

Pleeease - my comment about BasiliskII are not meant as an offense, i could'nt know how much work and sweat'n'blood you might have invested in this project. but i (and i guess others) would be glad if some points would be sorted out (i.e. network or some voodoo with screenmodes and no-jumping mouse pointer etc.). this is why i asked about an bounty especially for BasiliskII...

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cha05e90

Quote:
using a binary with debugging output

Because I like to read crash logs I can understand, from user like your self, I don?t have 100 beta testers working for me, so there might be problems, and issues I have not yet found.
Quote:
an at least "unoptimized" screen output

Currently the display is drawn on to the screen whit 50hz interval, The larger the display the slower its displayed.

There might be possible to use trap handler (mmu) to convert the pixels on the fly, but this does not guaranty faster display refresh, the result is just going to be a different kind of slow down.

Less slow down when nothing is happening; more slow down when lots of things is happening, but it might be better for large screen modes.
But anyway its lots of work, I looked at it once and twice.

Quote:
partly working network made me think of something like "work in progress".

Network does not even work in EUAE.
I have done my best, but can?t get this working, some one else might be able to.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cha05e90

Quote:
(voodoo with screenmodes and no-jumping mouse pointer etc.). this is why i asked about an bounty especially for BasiliskII...

I might do a screen mode bounty for the right price, not promising any thing.

the Ethernet stuff is left for dead.

(DO NOT RUN BASILLISK II IN WINDOW MODE.)

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top

Register To Post