Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

orgin, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

New Amiga fan
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I just got my second Amiga, a CD32 with an SX-1. I don't know much about Amigas, but i have a hard drive for it (unlike my A2000).

Can anyone point me to a guide on how to get an operating system on it?

What OS Ver will this hardware support?

Go to top
Re: New Amiga fan
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@lilwindsor

If you have an external floppy drive you can install 3.1, the disk named install has HD Toolbox on it which will allow you format and partition the hard disk.

You then need to format the disks in workbench and then you can run the installer script on the install disk.

You can purchase a new set of 3.1 disks from AmigaKit here, they also sell the Workbench manual too.

External floppy drives can usually be found on Ebay etc.

You can also install OS 3.5 or 3.9 too, these come on CD although I'm not sure if they autoboot or not, but I know the CU Amiga magazine CD's will boot into Workbench if you don't have a floppy drive for an initial isntall of 3.1.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thanks i was able to get a copy of CU Amiga magazine CD (19)

however it appears to switch to PAL and I live in NTSC land:(

any thoughts?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@lilwindsor

Hmmm... Is it an NTSC machine? I guess the screenmode prefs are saved on the CD to be PAL, as they had to pick one when building that Workbench up. The early startup screen settings don't let you boot in NTSC? You could always boot a very minimal Workbench by hand using the "Boot with no Startup-Sequence" option, making some assigns and running LoadWB...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daedalus

I set up another PC of mine with a video capture card.
I ran the signal testing all PAL modes and it was always messed up.

Maybe it's just a screen mode??

"making some assigns and running LoadWB..."

I think i saw this guy do something like that once.
No clue whats going on...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@lilwindsor

Yes, I'd say it's just the screenmode - how did you check the signal on the capture card? Are you sure it can handle PAL? What do you mean by "messed up"? The screenmode is easily changed but of course you can't save it as it's a CD.

Starting from the shell is actually pretty simple - you can get away with simply typing LoadWB and then EndCLI - and that will get you enough functionality to carry on with, and will use whatever screenmode is selected in the Chipset section of the early startup screen.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Daedalus

When you boot with no startup-sequence open a new shell and then execute s/startup-sequence, when workbench opens the new shell will stay open, stopping workbench from changing the screen mode without user intervention.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thanks everyone I'll Give it a try.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rob

Ooh, that's a good point! You can click cancel on the "Intuition is attempting to reset the screen..." message and it'll carry on. That's probably the best bet!

Go to top

Register To Post