Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Sam440ep 512megs & OS4.1 coming
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Aside from the fact that Acube contacted me last week (classic machine fell over and haven't had time till now to get it going again... 3 a4000 motherboards later... so just read and replied today...hoping they just sent it anyway, probably not!) and are short 15 euros of the agreed 631.50 (not my fault I followed the costs and directions exactly and paid my bank charges on this end) The Sam440ep with 512megs and OS4.1 for the Sam are coming soon...

SOOOoooo...

they arrive in the mail... and assuming I have nothing at all that I can use with it...

what do I need? :D

and we are talking style gentlemen, not bare essentials :)

I know I need to get sata harddrive and sata dvdrewriter and tower case with power supply... but what exactly exactly and what adapters do I need etc etc etc...

sometimes I hate modern hardware ;)

thanks for any information

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Re: Sam440ep 512megs & OS4.1 coming
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
also,

I have been keeping this 320g hd drive I removed from a usb external notebook which happens to be a sata harddrive since it wouldn't work with the A1... it was present so brand new... I am assuming I can use that?

ta :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Slayer

I also am expecting my Sam (and a repaired/upgraded G4 module for an XE) in the next couple of weeks, so I will watch your progress with interest.

Your HD sounds fine to me - IIRC there are four SATA ports on the Sam, so you can connect a CD/DVD also.

The on-board video should be adequate (it's 64 MB which is fine for normal work).

The power supply should be a lightweight unit - don't use anything over about 250 W if you can avoid it.

Mouse and keyboard will have to be USB, there aren't any PS/2 ports on the Sam IIRC. You can always use USB<->PS/2 adaptors if necessary.

I'm going to use my Sam to replace my old PC laptop - it's only ever used as a serial terminal on the A1, and its boot time is so much longer than the A1's, I have to wait for it before I can start work and again when switching off.

I am going to be using a mini case of some kind, haven't made up my mind yet. I'd like one of those small cases that stands up sideways on the desk like an old modem, with an external brick PSU.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

thanks for your comments

I'll try and get a more working knowledge of this machine as I go along... as I've said in the past however, I know alot about Amigas etc but nil about modern hardware...

so everyone I apologise for sounding like someone just wanting help in a second-just in a rush to get what I need to get it up and running and not afraid to spend a little more to get a solid machine booting...

I'll worry about my education later :p

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Slayer

Consider the size of your case.
If you go for something small and need to use a laptop optical drive, you will need the adapter to connect to SATA.

Go to top

Register To Post