Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
161 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 160

kas1e, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

UBoot backup Question
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Recent discussions have shown that prefs:UBoot can not save and restore all settings correctly (if I understood the conversation right).
Now I need to change my battery. Before doing this, I need to save off my UBOOT settings.
I tried typing printenv and writing down everything I see, but about a full screen had scrolled off before I could read it.

My question: How can I back up my UBOOT settings correctly?
Is there any way to read that information while OS4 is running, or is it only available before the OS has been loaded?

Thanks,
LyleHaze

Go to top
Re: UBoot backup Question
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LyleHaze

Quote:

LyleHaze wrote:
Recent discussions have shown that prefs:UBoot can not save and restore all settings correctly (if I understood the conversation right).
Now I need to change my battery. Before doing this, I need to save off my UBOOT settings.
I tried typing printenv and writing down everything I see, but about a full screen had scrolled off before I could read it.

My question: How can I back up my UBOOT settings correctly?
Is there any way to read that information while OS4 is running, or is it only available before the OS has been loaded?

Thanks,
LyleHaze

If you have a printer, there is a way to send the UBoot settings to your printer. The command is something like

nvgetvar > prt:

But I'm not sure that's exactly it.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LyleHaze

Quote:

Thanks,
LyleHaze

I use nvgetvar > sys:Variables to get a list of variables. That gives me a text file I can read.

As for saving the uboot settings, prefs/uboot only updates the uboot flash chip, and as you say not necessarily correctly for all variables. Rogue has stated that Prefs/UBoot does not curently have a maintainer.

I don't know if there is a specific command to save/restore UBoot settings, so you might have to use a combination of Prefs/UBoot and UBoot menu to get them right, and printing off nvgetvar to check.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thanks to you both.
That worked like a charm.
I now have a saved file and a printed copy.

Big Thanks,
LyleHaze

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@LyleHaze

sundown waits for Lyle to post again that uboot can't find a drive with SLB.

In uboot shell just in case;

ide reset
setenv boot1 ide
boota

If only it was that easy..

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Thread
I swapped the battery last night without losing the settings. Still, it's nice to have a backup on paper and in file form.
I notice the word "flash" used alot when discussing UBoot settings. If it really were flash, we wouldn't lose the settings when changing the battery.

Maybe that could be a suggestion for the designers of the next board we use. SRAM is so "Old School".

As soon as the new battery was in place, the random DSI errors disappeared. The machine is stable again, until it's time for the next battery change.

Thanks to all for the help.

LyleHaze

Go to top

Register To Post